1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a new Series-70 re-issue. A gift to myself! As soon as I opened the box I was excited. Fit and finish were impecable. The trigger is actually pretty darn good for an out of the box production gun, and the slide / frame fit is tight. Overall it just feels good.

So why am I here typing this post instead of out shooting it you ask? Well I took it apart yesterday to clean / lube before shooting today, and my bubble just burst.

I discovered the inside of the frame, forward of the feed ramp, where the guid rod is, was in the white. Thats right, NO finish on it at all, bare steel. Well after the initial numbness subsided I decided I would call Colt this morning. They said no problem send it in.

Well it is a problem. Now Im without my new gun for sor something that should have been caught at the factory. Well I wont let this spoil my Christmas. Ill send the gun in and wait.

So here brings up another point. Im not to keen in the sides of the hammer being in the white, and the top of the barrel either. I was thinking of having Colt re-blue those parts also. What do you all think?

In the mean time Ill have to shoot my WWI repro. which was by the way flawless out of the box.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
I've seen this kind of thing before. I've seen where the underside of the slide had to be re-machined because of a tolerance issue, and the surface was left in the white. I suspect they may have had to make another pass on the mill to get everything to fit properly. I agree however they should've refinished the frame afterwards.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I would contact them and express every concern of yours, no matter how minor. I would also attach your well-written thread here. Until someone holds the big guy's feet to the fire, these issues will continue to happen. Good luck!
Tracy

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
I think I would have to see the gun to pass judgement. Colt will always ask you if you want to send the gun back if you have an issue, and in this case that is probably a good idea.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to Colt yesterdday and the gun goes back on Monday. I have delt with Colt customer service before. Their good people. Still Im bummed.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
Look on the bright side. From what I hear almost everybody who sends a Colt back receives a better-than-perfect gun in return.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the same exact issue and touched it up with some cold blue, no problem. I would personally only send miy firearm off for a major issue, but that's just me.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well here it is.

My new series-70 and my WWI. Ill try and post a pic of the inside of the frame I mentioned in the oter post.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Here are the pics.

Here are the pics of what I was talking about. (Inside of frame not finished) The lack of bluing extends all the way to the front inside.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Especially with it being interior, and considering the interior blueing wear which will happen with use, it would be a non-issue with me, since blueing adds virtually no corrosion resistance and the area of concern remains always well oiled and away from salty finger prints....the ramp not being blued doesn't bother me, so why should a dust cover interior.....

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
Well, he posted to the "Colt" part of the forum...

So I figure it must be a Colt. If this is the case, I would recommend calling Colt regarding the warranty. It may not matter if you are the first owner or not in that case unless there has been machining done after the factory completed the gun. Colt should stand behind something like this whether or not it is the original owner, I would think.

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
I would consider it normal

I have seen lack of finish in that area on many pistols before and consider it normal. It is also perfectly normal for the bullet ramp on the frame to be "in the white" as well. Colts dating all the way back to WW2 and earlier also had bullet ramps that were bare metal. A blued bullet ramp is usually my clue that a gun has been refinished.

Do what you want, but if it were my pistol I wouldn't bother sending it back to Colt.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I consider lack of blueing in that area as no big deal. What if you receive your pistol after being "fixed" and your not happy. Presently, you have an otherwise perfect firearm, you should feel fortunate.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok maybe I will hold off sending it in. I should shoot it first just to make sure it works all right. If there is a problem with function Ill send it in with an "oh by the way while you have my pistol".

1 - 15 of 15 Posts