1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is a progression post I guess. I was asked when I introduced myself to keep some members posted how my build turns out so this will sort of be a thread of that as well as a learning thread for me and anyone else in the same boat as myself. I started with a used Colt Parts kit that I purchased. Unbeknownst to me when it arrived it was drilled and tapped for a bomar rail. So I went against some members advice and kept it figuring I’d use it to challenge myself with a few more tasks and hopefully learn from them. Some of my parts have arrived (including the frame) so this morning I installed the sights. So far this is my progression. Sights installed, 6-40 hole plugs installed (except one on an old broken screw/plug which will be extracted at some point)
Office supplies Grey Font Writing implement Netbook
Rectangle Gas Gun accessory Automotive radiator part Fashion accessory
Auto part Metal Rim Nickel Titanium
Automotive tire Grey Audio equipment Rim Wood

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
The screw holes can be detailed after the broken one is addressed. If desired they can be left proud and peened to expand the screws into the female threads. Then the remaining screw material can be filed to the slide profile using the draw file technique. A quick bead blast will make the plugged holes nearly invisible. I would include some thread locking compound even if not profiling the screws.
Joe

·
Registered
712 Posts
So this is a progression post I guess. I was asked when I introduced myself to keep some members posted how my build turns out so this will sort of be a thread of that as well as a learning thread for me and anyone else in the same boat as myself. I started with a used Colt Parts kit that I purchased. Unbeknownst to me when it arrived it was drilled and tapped for a bomar rail. So I went against some members advice and kept it figuring I’d use it to challenge myself with a few more tasks and hopefully learn from them. Some of my parts have arrived (including the frame) so this morning I installed the sights. So far this is my progression. Sights installed, 6-40 hole plugs installed (except one on an old broken screw/plug which will be extracted at some point) View attachment 626595 View attachment 626592 View attachment 626593 View attachment 626594
Your doing good work. Saving that slide will be some work but worth in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The screw holes can be detailed after the broken one is addressed. If desired they can be left proud and peened to expand the screws into the female threads. Then the remaining screw material can be filed to the slide profile using the draw file technique. A quick bead blast will make the plugged holes nearly invisible. I would include some thread locking compound even if not profiling the screws.
Joe
The plugs say they’re blued stainless. I didn’t even think that was possible… if they are, I’ll probably hunt down some carbon 6-40s or maybe make my own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the RIA frame was slightly too thick to fit the slide, so I made a sanding jig out of some flat trim board, 2x4 chunk I cut down and 320 grit sand paper. It took about 10 light (level) swipes and I had it pretty close. I applied some polishing compound to the rails and worked it on in. Now it’s butter smooth, with only a tiny bit of play. My old Colt 1991A1 had much more than this, so far I’m happy. Next is ordering a plunger tube, and making my own install jig.
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry
Wood Purple Floor Bumper Flooring
Wood Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Everyday carry

Wood Purple Floor Bumper Flooring

1 - 7 of 7 Posts