1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After intensively researching the Mil-Spec and GI government size whaddya know - a private party sale came up on a very clean GI Champion at a reasonable price. So I bought it today and pick it up in 10 days.

SO, not having done any research, did I do the right thing or not? Is the Champion as reliable as the full-size?

And please explain the bull barrel;

the need for a tool to field strip; and

the use of the dual spring.

We didn't have these on Commander size .45's back in the day...I assume they are "advances" but don't know why the Champion has them and the full size doesn't....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I wonder about some of those things too but, beside all the stuff, just shoot it and have fun! I know you will enjoy it.

Try it "as issued" for now with some WWB 230grn FMJ. Should feed like a dream. If you want to try some JHP's, and if they give you fits (as mine eventually started) I can recommend the Wilson ETM mags. They are awesome and seem to feed JHP's well. The follower "works" better with my Champion that the Chip Mc's I have.

Enjoy Buddy.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first 1911 was also a Champion G.I. that I bought back in November of last year. I have fed exactly 300 rounds of target load through it with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever. If yours runs 1/2 as well as mine you will love it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
After intensively researching the Mil-Spec and GI government size whaddya know - a private party sale came up on a very clean GI Champion at a reasonable price. So I bought it today and pick it up in 10 days.
SO, not having done any research, did I do the right thing or not? Is the Champion as reliable as the full-size?

And please explain the bull barrel;

the need for a tool to field strip; and

the use of the dual spring. ....
Bull barrel eliminates the bushing. (and adds weight)

I can strip mine just fine without a tool.

A big SINGLE spring wouldn't fit and have the proper tension and weight,
plus no way to retain a spring plug (no bushing remember)

My GI Champ runs perfect too.. :)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I bought one about a year ago. It is heavily customized by me now and runs great. I do suggest better sights and lowering the ejection port for CCW duty. Mine had some jams early, failure to eject, until I dropped the ejection port about 0.4". Now runs perfectly and eats everything including 230gr Hydroshocks. I also added a Wilson 2 Piece FLGR as I am not happy with the Springfield part. Great gun for the money if you are willing and able to do your own gun smithing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts