1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest for me it's not Kimber although I think it's a good gun, the tipping point is I can get TruGlo TFO sights for it.

So will I be happy with this model? That TLE model just seem like it was upgraded sights

·
Premium Member
3,342 Posts
All Kimbers start out the same. Yours is probably one of the most owned Kimbers out there,

There is only one problem though...... We do pictures here. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you want my two cents, buy the TLE. The black on black sights don't do it for me. The three-dot night sights are better in good lighting and in dark than the no dot sights. I also would want the front strap checkering, both of these upgrades are very nice and cheap compared to having a smith do the work after you buy the gun. I think the TLE is a better value than the custom II because of these upgrades.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hold the Custom II and then hold the TLE: that front strap checkering makes all the difference, and it comes with low profile night sights. I've had TFO's on other pistols and honestly I have no problem with the TLE's sights night or day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree that the TLE is A good value. I will check it out. The sights I have experienced on 1911s all seem like painted dots in daylight. The fibre optic seems better. TFO gives me both looks.

But look, I know S&W M&P not much about 1911. Maybe some other sights are the bomb.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
To be honest for me it's not Kimber although I think it's a good gun, the tipping point is I can get TruGlo TFO sights for it.

So will I be happy with this model? That TLE model just seem like it was upgraded sights
:scratch: You can get different sights for any 1911. Kimber has unique dove tail cuts but they're all the same except target guns. The Custom II can also be had with night sights from Kimber if the dealer orders it that way.

As has already been said though, the TLE has front strap checkering. That's the primary difference.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The difference in price between the custom and the TLE is about $200. the cost of night sights and having them installed is a little cheaper but not by much. I did this on my pro carry and now I use grip tape as I miss front strap checkering and it is pricey to have done. I like the kimber sights much better than the after market ones I could find. If I could do it over I would have bought the pro TLE.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a Ultra Carry Crimson II. It only has iron sights but it seems to find the bullseye ok even without the laser. Im a bit sorry I paid up for the laser but it could come in handy if needed at night for home or other type of defense. Any other time I mostly use the iron sights for practice. I probably would not replace iron sights if there was no laser. I love this Kimber. I want another model but my wife's new years resolution is to not let me buy any more pistols

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own a TLE/RL and can say without hesitation: GET THE TLE!

Rusty Bolts

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
My custom II works good but I had to fix it before it worked. Locked back on next to last round and shot low. Dimpled the slide stop and filed down the front sight, works well now. Next 1911 will be another Colt, no more copies for me.

·
Registered
334 Posts
My first Kimber was a Custom II, and I really like it, but I wish I'd gone ahead and gotten a TLE II. I've since added a Pro TLE II and a Pro SIS and really like the front strap checkering. Live and learn.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a Ultra Carry Crimson II. It only has iron sights but it seems to find the bullseye ok even without the laser. Im a bit sorry I paid up for the laser but it could come in handy if needed at night for home or other type of defense. Any other time I mostly use the iron sights for practice. I probably would not replace iron sights if there was no laser. I love this Kimber. I want another model but my wife's new years resolution is to not let me buy any more pistols
Well you gota week get to the gun store

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Tell her no more shoes,clothes or whatever her thing is and stick to it if she sticks to hers.

This is one problem I don't have anymore. Wifes gone my only limit is my wallet but raising two girls it gets tight at times. Plus I'm still learning some of what I already have in the safe. I've been trying to stay way from my usual impulse buys/LayAways.I did slip two weeks ago and put 350 down on a Ruger piston AR-10. opps.

I don't have experience with the two pistols being considered but would get the Front Strap checkering. I have STI 1911's and they have Stippling (chain link type pattern) and really wish they had standard checkering.

Two hundred bucks for Checkering and night sites. Sounds like a no brained IF your budget allows. Good luck your gonna love your first 1911.

·
Registered
967 Posts
If every 1911 owner bought a Custom II, there would be far fewer people badmouthing Kimber. They are good guns, that plain work, and work well.

As my dad says, they are "the plain truth."

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
Friend of mine bought one a week after I did, neither worked with out repair or replace the slide stops. Just my experience with Kimber.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts