1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my first 1911 on Monday and it was a Springfield Armory Professional Non Railed model. A little run down of what I went through to get this thing...After reading about it and seeing how highly praised it was as a 1911 on the other forums (kinda like a Unicorn of the 1911's) I decided to buy it. My shop placed the order the last day of September 2008, Deb told me it would be a 8 month wait which is normal. A few months later I got bored and decided to email Deb at the Custom Shop to see what the status was of the gun, she told me that there was no order on file and to contact my FFL. I talk to my Shop and they said they ordered it and they contacted Deb. Apparently Deb would only talk to my shop and not me as an individual and gave them the order number. Fast forward to 8months from Sept. Now it's May and I'm excited to receive this thing and shoot it, I call Deb no such luck. I try emailing her, no such luck. My buddy who is a 1911 fan from the Shop calls and leaves a message. She returns the call and says it's going to be 10months instead of 8months. This is fine whats another 2 months I say...

Now 2months later (July, total of 10months so far) I call Deb, email, leave messages. Finally she returns my email and says that it's going to be Oct time frame. Unfortunately Mr Walter Birdsong, who does the finishes (Black T) for the Professional 1911's passes away. I understood that it might be a certain delay due to the passing of Mr Birdsong, so I wait til Oct. Finally Oct comes, I contact Deb (again with emails and messages) she gets back and says that my gun is ready to ship and that they need my billing info (which means my shop has to give them their payment info). I contact my shop and they contact her all is well...I'm expecting this gun in a few days. My shop is billed and I'm buying grips for the new pistol. A week goes by since Deb said they would ship it out. I get anxious and contact her. She gets back to me via email and says that there was a error in the computer inventory and that there was no gun to ship out. At this point I'm upset but I don't voice my anger. Deb tells me to contact her at the end of Nov for another batch of Pros. It really bothered me that they never contacted me to get the payment information or the fact that there was an error in the system and didn't contact me to tell me the problem. She says she will re-credit the money to my shop while we wait for the next batch.

I email her at the end of Nov and she says that the Pros are at Birdsong and Assoc waiting to be coated with Black T and that I should expect the gun in 2weeks. Finally I am relieved and excited. Now 2 weeks have passed and the gun arrived at the shop. I had received a phone call in the morning from my buddy at the shop saying that the 1911 had arrived. It had taken 1 Year 2 Months and 14 Days to receive this gun from the Custom Shop. I had always heard great things about Springfield's Custom Shop and their customer service. It was difficult to get a hold of Deb and email is by far the best way to get in contact because she never really returns call. I always doubted myself for getting this gun but after handling it I changed my tune and probably would do it all over again.

My initial thoughts so far...The Slide to frame fit on this gun is TIGHT. My lord, racking the gun was pain in the butt. The Black T finish is really nice, I like it..a very nice flat matte black. The grips that came with the gun were an ugly orange and I didn't like it, so I decided to go with the G10 Diamondback VZ grips. The 20LPI checkering on the front and mainspring housing is perfect. I was nervous from reading how it was rough and tore up peoples hands while shooting. But from handling it and with the VZ grips I feel that if my hands were drenched in motor oil I'd still have a positive grip on the gun. The barrel bushing was a pain to slide back and forth to unlock the bushing for dis-assembly and reassembly. As difficult as it was to cock and dissassemble/reassemble makes me confident that the accuracy should be good or at least consistent.

The gun came with 7 metal form mags in a MTM hardcase, a metal bushing wrench, 45 brush, manual, and Certificate of Authenticity (signed by Dave at the Custom Shop and test fire date). Another thing I noticed was that the barrel, slide, and barrel bushing all had the serial number engraved in it. And finally once I cleaned the pistol and lubed it up the cocking seemed to be a little easier, but I'm sure once I put a couple hundred rounds through it, it should be much easier. This pistol was definitely worth the wait. Thanks for the headaches and great looking pistol Springfield!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Wow, that's crazy. I had the opposite experience. I ordered a full custom 1911 from their Custom Shop and not only did I have no problem contacting Debbie or Dave Williams, but they seemed to contact me quite regularly to inform me of the progress of the build and to ask me questions about exactly how I want certain things. Then to top it off, I received my 1911 in 6 months instead of the original estimate of 8 months.

However, I have heard that the Professional model is really hard to find lately, so that's probably the reason why you experienced such a delay in all of that.

Also keep in mind that if you encounter any malfunctions, most new tight-fit pistols will jam every now-and-then during its breaking-in period which most people say is around 500 rounds. But my full custom has gone through its first 250 rounds without any malfunction, so maybe you will have the same experience.

SA Custom makes great 1911's hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah seeing how it is the FBI Contract gun and they get first dibs explains the wait. Plus the passing of Mr Birdsong probably slowed things down as well (RIP). I just wish I would of had updates, but then again I'm sure they are busy and can't cater to everyone. I just got unlucky. But like I said I would probably do this all over again for another Custom 1911 from them. So far I really like what they did, and if it shoots as good as it looks then well I guess I'll have to get another one ahaha.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Sorry to hear about the ordeal. I've only bought off the shelf or from others.

I'm sure the pistol will be so awesome at the range that it will be worth everything you went through to get it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
What happened to Walter Birdsong? How did he pass away? I just talked to him about 3 months ago.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes Mr Birdsong passed away on July 17, 2009. Not sure what the circumstances were but he is survived by his children. His son has taken over the business and they are still doing the "Black T" finish. RIP.

Sorry about the pics, I posted a few pics on the Professional thread and wasn't sure if I needed to post them on this one...

·
Registered
568 Posts
Congrats on a great looking 1911. :rock:

Thanks for the pics and the details. Looking forward to a full range report,
as well as some additional pics once she's made dirty.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
146 Posts
What a beauty! I love those grips. I have G10 on my TRP (20lpi) and it will NOT slip in your hands, period. I would love to have a Professional.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
That is a SWEEET gun, looks like the worth was definitely worth it. :rock:

·
Registered
508 Posts
wow a pro for your first 1911! Thats like getting a ferrari on your 16th birthday. go shoot it! and take some pics.
I was thinking the same sentiment, but would not have insulted the Pro with comparing it to a Ferrari. I'd say, it's like getting a SSC Aero. :)

Screw Ferrari, screw Lamborghini, screw Bugatti Veyron, SSC Aero FTW! lol.

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Awesome looking Professional 1911 ... and I know I couldn't have waited that long for a beauty like that. I know you'll enjoy it .......

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everybody, I'm going to be shooting it in a few days. Range report and more pics coming soon...

·
Registered
29 Posts
That thing is beautiful, definalty worth the wait....as most good things are.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to throw some more pics up of the mags I'm going to be T&E for my Pro. As per Thunderr1's request I also included some pics of the Metalform mags that came with my Pro (total of 6). I'm still waiting on the Tripp Research Cobra mag I order from their site..If anyone has another suggestion for a good mag to run through my gun please shoot me a PM or reply on this thread. Thanks guy! I believe Monday I'll be able to shoot my gun at my FFL's house, as long as we don't get too much snow (expecting 15 inches haha).

Metalform...

Wilson Combat ETM...

CMC Powerplus...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts