1911Forum banner

My First 500 Rounds With the TRS

1354 12
I put 500 rounds of American Eagle 230 grain FMJ's through my TRS before I completely field stripped it for cleaning. Turning the bushing wasn't bad at all, even with a nylon wrench, but popping that sucker out was extremely difficult. Putting it back in the slide wasn't a problem though. So all in all field stripping and reassembling the Baer was pretty easy except for popping the bushing out of the slide.

By the way the Baer 7 rounders works great but with a new Wilson 47 and a 47D I had 3 "failures" within those 500 rounds (last 200). They all stripped the next round and chambered it but the slide did not go fully into battery. It seemed like the extractor didn't catch the rim of the cartridge. I did not tap the back of slide for fear of damaging the extractor. So I stopped using the Wilsons and stuck with the Baer mags. Hopefully extra power ISMI springs in the Wilsons will solve that problem. Either that or I'm sticking with the Baers.

And yeah that gun was dripping Breakfree CLP throughout those rounds.

I'm still getting used to the thin grips but I think I'm starting to like them. Except for the part when three of the grip screws started loosening up on me. :grumble: The trigger is very nice and compares favorably to my SA Pro that had its trigger refined by the SA Custom folks. If the TRS proves to be as reliable as my SA Pro I'm sure I'll like the TRS as much as I do my Pro. Until then I still have to wring it out.

All in all not a stellar or perfect beginning but a gun I don't regret shelling out a premium for. For a Californian like me the choices in the $1500 price range were either the TRS, a SA TRP, or SIG GSR. The TRP and the GSR seemed like a step down from the Pro so I shelled out a few extra and got the TRS. I'm not the kind of person who can wait 6 months to a year for a custom job either. So all in all I'm glad I got the TRS. :)
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
715 Posts
Breakfree is minimal lube and not what I would recommend for break in or even use after break in. It's OK for cleaning and good for rust prevention but not a very good lube. I would consider militec or TW-25B for lube. I use both on my five TRS'.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've got Militec, FP-10, and Tetra Grease too. Since the Baer already had (I assume) Break Free from the factory and since I didn't field strip it before my first two range sessions I didn't think it would be good to mix different lubes.

I'll try each of them seperately and see which works best in my Baer.

By the way I found the bushing relatively easy to turn (which seems counter to most people's experience) but very difficult to take out. Will it get easier with use?

· Registered
10 Posts
Ian111 said:
I put 500 rounds of American Eagle 230 grain FMJ's through my TRS before I completely field stripped it for cleaning. Turning the bushing wasn't bad at all, even with a nylon wrench, but popping that sucker out was extremely difficult. Putting it back in the slide wasn't a problem though. So all in all field stripping and reassembling the Baer was pretty easy except for popping the bushing out of the slide.

By the way the Baer 7 rounders works great but with a new Wilson 47 and a 47D I had 3 "failures" within those 500 rounds (last 200). They all stripped the next round and chambered it but the slide did not go fully into battery. It seemed like the extractor didn't catch the rim of the cartridge. I did not tap the back of slide for fear of damaging the extractor. So I stopped using the Wilsons and stuck with the Baer mags. Hopefully extra power ISMI springs in the Wilsons will solve that problem. Either that or I'm sticking with the Baers.

And yeah that gun was dripping Breakfree CLP throughout those rounds.

I'm still getting used to the thin grips but I think I'm starting to like them. Except for the part when three of the grip screws started loosening up on me. :grumble: The trigger is very nice and compares favorably to my SA Pro that had its trigger refined by the SA Custom folks. If the TRS proves to be as reliable as my SA Pro I'm sure I'll like the TRS as much as I do my Pro. Until then I still have to wring it out.

All in all not a stellar or perfect beginning but a gun I don't regret shelling out a premium for. For a Californian like me the choices in the $1500 price range were either the TRS, a SA TRP, or SIG GSR. The TRP and the GSR seemed like a step down from the Pro so I shelled out a few extra and got the TRS. I'm not the kind of person who can wait 6 months to a year for a custom job either. So all in all I'm glad I got the TRS. :)
----------------------

Why did you have the gun soaked with clp? Wouldent it function reliably otherwise?

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was a figure of speech. It wasn't soaking in anything (although I believe Les Baer practically does that at the factory) I just made sure to lube the rails, hood, and bushing area with a drop or two every 100 rounds on top of the fact the gun seemed to be well lubed already.

Okay so it wasn't a gushing review. I just wanted relay exactly what happened. The Baer bobbled a few times with Wilson mags. Its not a big deal plenty of other mags out there. I love my Baer and I plan to spend even more feeding it.

· Registered
196 Posts
doc45 said:
Can't speak for the other models but Baer ships their TRS covered w/Break Free. Their recommendation calls for just wiping off the exterior, run a patch through the bore & go shooting.
That's basically what I did with my new Concept VII. When I took it to the range I brought with me a spray can of BreakFree, and I lubed the front of the barrel, the hood, and the frame and slide rails, about every hundred rounds. I also cleaned the bore periodically with a bore snake dipped in Hoppe's.

Before shooting, I wiped off the outside of the gun, but the inside was well-oiled, so much so that the Baer was smoking lightly at times. I probably used too much BreakFree, but the pistol ran fine, without a single malfunction of any kind in the first 500 rounds. It feels very smooth now, and the slide comes back easily.

Once I clean it and it feels broken in, I will, of course, not lube it to this extent.

· Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:

I changed out the springs in my Wilson 7 rounders with ISMI springs and shot 150 more rounds today. I used just the Wilsons today and I didn't have a single problem. Funny, one of the Wilson 47's had an 8 round 47D spring while the other one had the standard 7 round spring :hrm: They were both new mags ordered from Midway. Regardless both Wilson springs are pretty weak.

I'm gonna change the thin grips though. Its okay but in the long run I think I'll prefer the better grip offered by the standard panels.

· Registered
536 Posts
Enough??;) What is enough?;);) Of course I'd also like a 6" P2........but will probably wait for awhile for either of them. I have some unfinished rifle projects to get finsihed. I've been procrastinating too long with them.

· Registered
738 Posts
Baer hunting

I'm with lynnie, my P2 is great, but not enough, I think a TRS Comanche sounds about right. Altho I keep looking at Ed Brown bobtailed Kobra Carry's too. And then there is the Custom Carry in Commanche length in either .45 or .38 Super.....some nice choices....need to sell some stuff from former hobbies...also need to start re-loading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.