1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a Colt 1991 Government Series 80 blued finish for $689 before tax and fees. Is that a reasonable deal? This is a first gun I ever owned.

The finish is excellent, the silde has a little bit of lateral free play, but it's tolerable. After some CLP at the right places, the action becomes very smooth. The trigger pull is light and crisp.

I particularly like the the Rosewood Grip on this gun. They are beautiful and feels very good on the hand.

The Ejector port have a little bit of brass residue at the top of the slide leftover from the test fire at the factory (not visible from this picture).

The muzzle rim has no gouge marks at all. It's beautifully made.

At the Range

After applying some CLP at the right places, rubbed down the gun with CLP, and ran a patch through the barrel. It's ready for it's first run.

First clip with target at 25ft, standing position.

This the 2nd time I shot a .45. I mostly shoot .22LR and I'm working on a new grip and stance so I'm no marksman at this time. However, the gun fired wonderfully.

The recoil is much more controllable than I expect, and the gun fits in my hands like a glove. Ammo is Winchester Whitebox from WalMart. The front dot gets dirty by the end of the 100 round session. And the white dots are not that visible at the lowlight in the indoor range in the first place.

Questions I have?
1. Can I call Colt to find out when my gun was made by the serial number?

2. Is $689 before tax and fees a good deal?

3. How often do I need to clean the gun? I wiped down the gun with some CLP after the session, and add some oil at the slide rail, and a little around outside of the barrel.

I'm very happy with the gun so far. Glad I have chosen a 1911! Once again proven that a simple and robust design is timeless!

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I might as well be the one to tell you this.

Welcome earthworm94. You will find a ton of good info here. I have two of the same pistols as you. The price you paid was a fine one. Now the bad news. Colt has had a rash of 1911's leave the plant with the recoil plug opening drilled "off-center." If you look closely on the sides of the recoil plug on your gun, it is thicker on the right, than on the left. This is only cosmetic, but it sucks for sure. I have one of my Colt's at the factory being repaired, and the other goes out the day I get the first one back. The have had it since early October.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That's a beautiful gun! Welcome to the 1911 club.

I don't know about calling Colt for a production date, nor am I current on the price of a blued 1991 NRM.

How often should you clean your gun? As often as you want to!

Seriously, you will find folks whose opinions on cleaning run the gamut from every time you shoot the gun to only when the slide won't chamber a round because of all the accumulated sludge. I wipe down the outside and run a boresnake through my guns after every shooting session and fieldstrip and thoroughly clean them every second or third shooting session (whether they need it or not :) ).

·
Administrator
79,293 Posts
BOSSHOFF said:
Now the bad news. Colt has had a rash of 1911's leave the plant with the recoil plug opening drilled "off-center." If you look closely on the sides of the recoil plug on your gun, it is thicker on the right, than on the left. This is only cosmetic, but it sucks for sure.
I see it too, however it's not too severe on this pistol. Unless there is another problem that calls for returning it to the factory I'd say just leave it alone. As I said in an earlier post, I don't think there is a single Colt on the planet that's 100% perfect. The lateral play in teh slide is normal, and actually desirable on a combat 1911. I'm convinced that a lot of the problems folks have with their Brand-X 1911's is that they tend to be put together too tightly. BTW I think your pistol was made sometime this past year, so it obviously ain't no vintage critter.

P.S. gotta love that big huge bore, so big you can actually see back to the breech face! :D

P.P.S. I have one of those Gerber knives as well, in fact I carry it every day. Poor thing looks like it was used in the past three wars as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gerber Knife

That's my carrying knife as well. It didn't show up on the picutre, but it's pretty scratched up as well (cut a small piece of roofing shignles with it). It's a great knife for $30 at WalMart.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Congrats, earthworm, you're going to love it. I got mine about two weeks ago or less. The price I paid was similar to yours.

You're right, the grips are very comfortable and look great too.

Clean the gun after every range trip, and also whenever you want to fondle and enjoy... uh, I mean, admire the gun.

Your recoil plug is offcenter like the fellas say, but only slightly and I would not worry about it. Gotta be only a couple hundredths off.

Don't do what I did: I racked the slide a lot and impacted the series 80 trigger part that sits on top of the frame, and bent it. :(

See the thread I started in this Colt forum for more pics of a gun just like yours.

Yeah, that recoil is nothing. I think Hollywood overhyped the .45 or something. :D

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Congrats on a great gun!! Colts rock! :rock: You can get the brass residue off the ejection port with a toothbrush and some CLP. No big deal.

I used to HATE cleaning my guns. Now I love it. Modern ammo is non-corrosive so you don't have to clean it after every range session.

·
Administrator
79,293 Posts
The proper companion to a 1911 is an M1A. :D

·
Registered
101 Posts
earthworm94 said:
This is a first gun I ever owned.

I'm very happy with the gun so far. Glad I have chosen a 1911! Once again proven that a simple and robust design is timeless!
Classic. You went and bought the best to start with. :rock: I have owned and shot Glocks, CZ's, Berettas and only Colt 1911 .45ACP gives me THE feeling. That gun is made to shoot and it will only get better after years of usage. Shoot it, carry it and never sell it :)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Earthworm I have a the same gun what an awsome gun it is indeed. The only changes I've made were adding and arched mainspring houseing and short trigger. I just love these colt 1991's great 1911's I'am hoping to have a stainless version really,really soon. Enjoy your new colt and welcome to thw world of 1911's and the 1911 forums,but be warned the addiction has started and it only gets better (and more expensive) from here on out LOL.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.