1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are a few shots of my first attempt at grips. I shaped them, sanded, wetsanded and wetsanded and discovered they were too smooth for my taste, so I had them checkered by Sherry at Sherry's Checkering.

I practiced by making 3 sets from some cheap poplar which turned out good, but ugly. After the 3 practice sets I was ready for some pretty wood so I searched the net and found a guy with some Lace Sheoak from Australia I fell in love with. I started with bookend slabs 2"X6"X3/8".

I can't seem to get the photos to work so here is the link:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=765256#post765256

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
isaidme said:
Very Nice indeedy!What finish was used on these if you dont mind me asking?
Before checkering they were finished by sanding to a 600 grit finish. Then I wet sanded using 600 grit paper and a mixture of 1 part satin finish Formby's Tung oil to 4 parts mineral spirits. After a slurry was built up during each sand I would wipe the slurry acros the grain. This fills the grain and makes the surface mirror smooth. Drying between sandings was 2 full days and I did this 7 times. I did such a good job they ended up too slick and I sent them off to be checkered.

After checkering the checkered area was lightly brushed with the tung oil/mineral spirits mixture to reseal this area.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Scooter .45 said:
Those are awesome! Bet you've already gotten emails from people wanting to buy a set just like them :cool:
Thanks Scott, I appreciate you saying so. And yes, I have had a few offers, but I'm not quiting my day job!! Those inquiring get a bit of sticker shock when they find out what the checkering costs. Hand checkering is quite expensive. But there is no comparison between an artist hand checkering and machine checkering.

I could do the smooth finished grips for a reasonable price...but add the checkering and I would have to sell them for a good bit over $100, just to make a few bucks an hour for my labor.

I'm sure I am preaching to the choir on this.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Scooter .45 said:
Would you mind saying what Sherry charged for your checkering?
$70

Having taught myself checkering, I rate it up there with accomplishments like getting a pilot's liscense or passing the bar exam or graduating medical school. Not that I truly "learned" the craft. I taught myself the basics and it will take years to build to the skills of a person like Sherry (assume your talking about Sherry Abraham
I would love to learn. How did you get started? What tools do I need to start?

Yes, I am talking about Sherry Abraham. She states on her website she checkers something everyday to stay on top of here game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.