1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchase a very lightly used Kimber Ultra TLE II LG at my local Fin Feather store a couple of weeks back. After reading some of the forum threads here I was very concerned that I paid for a hunk of useless metal. I am very happy to say that my first Kimber is lining up to be my favorite gun ever. I picked up an extra Wilson Combat Mag after reading about them here. I've had it out twice now and have only put about 250 rounds through but I have not had 1 single hiccup with it. The gun has so far eaten everything I have put through it. Different factory loads, and also reloads were no problem. Reloads were 230gr JRN and 230gr Nosler JHP. In fact my first shot yesterday was a bullseye at about 25 feet. Beginners luck? Maybe..I can shoot better with this gun than I can my Ruger SR40 and that's a pretty accurate piece.

The gun is a huge PIA to take apart for cleaning and to put back together but I'm sure it will get easier with practice.

It's also a joy to carry versus my SR40.

Overall I am very impressed with it, I have wanted a Kimber for a very long time and glad I bought it.

I also wanted to thank all the posters here-the magazine advice was invaluable as is the tips regarding the Colgate.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
It's not beginners luck, most Kimbers run just fine. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
The gun is a huge PIA to take apart for cleaning and to put back together but I'm sure it will get easier with practice.
You say it is a huge PIA to take apart??? are you pushing the slide back a little before you try to rotate the bushing? That will make it a lot easier to push the plug in and rotate the bushing, IF you are finding it hard to put the slide lock back in, be careful until you get the hang of it or you will wear the dreaded scratch/mark that so many people are able to do.

Enjoy

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
You say it is a huge PIA to take apart??? are you pushing the slide back a little before you try to rotate the bushing? That will make it a lot easier to push the plug in and rotate the bushing, IF you are finding it hard to put the slide lock back in, be careful until you get the hang of it or you will wear the dreaded scratch/mark that so many people are able to do.

Enjoy
Bushing? It's an Ultra.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, it is a great little gun. I am looking forward to taking it out and running a couple hundred more rounds through it this weekend. Hopefully all the snow will be done and the roads will be clean. I wanted to run some rounds through it before making it my daily carry and now I am quite confidant that it will go bang every time I pull the trigger. I have a couple of gripes with my SR40 in comparison to the Kimber. It's so comfortable to carry, I never even know it's there. Besides being much bigger the magazine release on my SR40 sticks and sometimes the mag will fall out. Additionally the safety will sometimes come off without warning making it impossible to keep one in the pipe while carrying. The safety on the Kimber is rock solid as is the mag release. I think I would rather have 7+1 that 15 in the mag that may or may not fall out when you need it. Now, time to pick up some more Wilson Combat mags and get some more brass reloaded....

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
You get used to the take down procedure after a while. Just get a supply of paper clips. I own 2 ultras and love shooting them. Just keep it oiled. I use slide glide on the rails and barrel on all my 1911s, never have a problem.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have an Ultra that I bought used and it didn't come with a tool so I learned to break it down without one. It's really not that hard but it helps to have strong hands and fingers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fast Eddie- OK-I have to ask-How can you lose a Kimber?? I would be busted up for weeks, maybe months.

This is officially my all time favorite pistol now. The wife and I went to the range this morning. Ran another 200 rounds through it without a single glitch. Today I used the Kimber Tac-Mag exclusively. 230 grain round nose, 5.0 grains of Bullseye. Nice tight groups and really accurate. No failure to feeds or fire.

Teardown was much smoother this time and it went back together much easier.

Overall I am extremely impressed with my Kimber.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts