1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned many guns through the years. Raising a family never afforded extra money to buy anything I would call high end or in the next level of manufacturers. In fact because if finances I ways thought even if I had the money didn't know if I would still be able to buy something expensive.
Recently I started wanting a 1911. Didnt have one and hadn't for awhile. I bought the Tisas US Army 1911. It shoots wonderful. Ended up buying the Tisas duty and then the next and latest purchase happened. I wanted a Kimber 1911. 1911 are addicting. I always have referred to them as the holy grail of handguns. I bought the Stainless LW full size. I was apprehensive about alloy frame but figured if something happened to it I would send to Kimber and they would fix it. I took it to shoot and was very impressed. My first Kimber and I consider Kimber in that next class above the most others. Wish I hadn't waited so long to get my first. Hope the alloy frame issue doesn't come up.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have bought a few 1911's in the last 30 years but never Kimber. I was always looking at them in the gun stores but heard so many stories that they were trouble guns. Around five years ago at a gun show in Tampa I saw a Kimber revolver K6S 2" .357 mag it was well made and had to have it. that was my first for the brand. In a LGS one day I see a Kimber 1911 6" 45acp for under $1000.00 I said that is a great price and I bought it. The gun is a great shooter. You never know what gun you buy is going to be a lemon or not.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
I have 4 Kimbers. I bought one used from a friend. I traded for an old pre-II model. I won two at Friends of the NRA functions. I have never had a minute's trouble out of any of them. One is my regular match pistol that has been fired thousands of times with no malfunctions. Even the little short stubby 45 has been 100%. Their sights suit me better than almost any other factory sights, and I have been swapping out sights of some other pistols to be more like those on my Kimbers. I know they have received some bad press on the internet, and factory service is or was reported to be somewhat disappointing. I would not know about that since I have never had to return one. I would not hesitate to buy another.

I also have 1911 pistols by Colt, Springfield Armory, Ruger, Smith and Wesson, and Joe's Frankengun brand. All except the last one work fine.

Enjoy your pistol.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congratulations on your new 1911.
I'll probably get around to trying a full size LW if I find one.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Don't drink the internet "cool aide"! Every manufacturer has their good, bad and ugly!

I have 4 currently and 5 total. All have been flawless in form and function. My oldest, 9mm Target II, was used in high volume shooting pistol games. Probably up to 10,000 rounds a year for over 10 years. My son is using it now!

Smiles,

Reactions: Rumblur

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Over the years, I have owned eight (8) Kimber 1911s. I was never a fan of FCS, so all were either Kimber’s Pro or Ultra models. Although Kimber basher’s are a plenty, I never had an issue with any of them. Over the years, all eight have been traded or sold as I uped my 1911 taste. But I can honestly say, all eight Kimber’s that I’ve personally owned ran flawless. Congratulations on your new journey!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was curious as to the weight and felt recoil compared to the all steel model. Empty i can feel the difference in weight. When loaded it was harder to tell the difference. After shooting it though, I could not tell the difference between the LW alloy frame and all steel. I figured I'd share that for those maybe have wondered. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Don't worry about the alloy frames. I have a 45acp Kimber Tactical Pro ll with over 15K through it. No noticeable wear on the frame. A couple of months ago I bought a Dan Wesson Commander with an alloy frame. I can send you photos of alloy frame wear if you wish. It's nothing to be concerned about. Enjoy the gun!

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I have 1 Kimber, a 6” all stainless .45 Target model. It was $800 about a year or more ago. The slide to barrel hood fitment was quite good as well as to the frame, which provided fairly good accuracy.

The barrel/bushing/slide fit was sloppy terrible to say the least, the slide pin to the frame/ barrel link & barrel feet was also terrible. But it sure was a pretty Gun !

It was obvious that the quality was lacking on this piece, not-at all the top shelf piece’s that I remember Kimbers being way back when I was first getting into 1911’s ,,, not such good quality these days. But I’ll add that it is a pretty Gun and was only a $800 piece, so with some new well fit quality piece’s it is now a very nice shooting, very accurate piece, I would consider it a “kit” gun, but I am happy with it, but probably my only Kimber, maybe ! These 1911’s are kinda addicting you know !

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Although I own a Kimber I am not a Kimber fan. Alloy frames, regardless of the manucturer. Are good to go.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have owned 3 1911 Kimber pistols and nary a problem with them. Although I have a definite preference for all stainless steel construction which mine are, I would not hesitate to trust an alloy framed Kimber. The fit and finish of my current Stainless Target II in 9 mm continues to impress me and it's function has been very good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts