1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago I picked up a series 70 Satin Commander. Someone had put a blued slide stop, thumb safety and grip safety on it. I looked but could not find any satin parts so I bought a SS slide stop, grip and thumb safties. I high polished them and put them on and WOW it looks great! Life is good.

· Administrator
80,927 Posts
Colt likely did it. For whatever reason, for a few years during the 1970s they actually used blued small parts on their satin nickel Government and Commander Models.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

· Registered
1,232 Posts
KITT - I hope you got it "dressed up" with pearl or ivory grips!
Reading your post made be go through my 1911 parts box. Turns out, I have a satin finish grip safety with the short (Commander) tang on it. I don't know if it's original Colt. Maybe 'dsk' would know if Colt stamped a part number on the inside of these? NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

99 Posts
Originally posted by KITT:
About two months ago I picked up a series 70 Satin Commander. Someone had put a blued slide stop, thumb safety and grip safety on it. I looked but could not find any satin parts so I bought a SS slide stop, grip and thumb safties. I high polished them and put them on and WOW it looks great! Life is good.
Don't forget you have to hold the gun with the grip horizontally.

Rob

· Registered
355 Posts
Originally posted by KITT:
As dsk told you Colt put the blued parts on. The sating plating is Colt's "Colt Guard" their trade name for electroless nickle.

I had one I bought in 1979. Some of the first ones rusted rather quickly from the inside out, mine was no exception. I have been told that it was a delay in plating after buffing the base metal allowing fine rust to grow under the plating.

In any event I kept mine packed in cosmoline for over 20 years but finally had Scott MacDougal and Associates do their thing on it and although no longer pretty, with its dull black finish, it eats everything and is very accurate. It's my winter off duty piece.

However, if you want to talk "pimp" guns you should see my Para Ordinance 14.45 LDA. Satin hard chrome lower, high polish blue upper, bright chrome barrel, barrel bushing, recoil spring plug, slide release and safety. I carry this baby on duty. The guys think I have gone over to the other side and have a stable now. Vice wants to look at my bank account too.

· Registered
253 Posts
y'lnow, my lwt commander came with pearl colt-coined grips. now i'm thinking i should put them back on. kinda looks sexy with them, i think. i took them off because i was being ridiculed at the range. i think it's time to get out the screwdriver....look out!

------------------
Nothing like to smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

· Registered
856 Posts
What's wrong with you guys? If I had one of those pretty nickle pieces I'd flaunt it everywhere! When ya'll get too embarassed to hold those things, you just send 'em my way...I'll give 'em a good home and shoot that finish right off there! Especially one of those Government models...I'd wear it with a slide so it sticks out everywhichaway! I'll take all those pearl and ivory stocks too!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.