1911Forum banner

My FTF KZ45 is back from Wilson: an update

1961 13
This is an update to a post regarding my KZ45 and its FTF issue.

Yesterday the Fed ex man delivered my KZ45 back from the factory with paperwork stating the FTF problem was corrected at no charge.
My contact at Wilson was Nick, who handled me from start to finnish. He was charitable with his time in answering questions, tracking things down, and generally putting up with my neuroses. The gun was checked in by Wilson’s on November 30, and I received it back on December 8. Since the paperwork had no specifics about the work performed, Nick tracked down the work order from the smith that did the work and read it to me over the phone. I don’t remember verbatim, but this is a summary:
They had to re-cut the breach and chamber, polish the feed ramp and chamber, replace the barrel link (which had the wrong one for the gun I was told) they replaced and fitted a thumb safety,(the old one was pushing the plunger down before it pushed it in) re-machined and fitted the grip safety, polished the sear and disconector to fix a gritty trigger spot, replaced the extractor and although they did not mention it, I think they replaced the recoil spring with a stronger one. The gun was cleaned, lubed and ready to go. The only mix up regarded only getting back one of my two magazines sent with the gun, but they will be sending the second one on monday with a freebee mag to offset shipping cost.
After receiving my newly rebuilt gun, I did what any responsible home office business person would do...........I drooped everything and went to the range!
My time and ammo selection was limited, so I was only able to fire about a150 rounds of American Eagle, Independence (CCI brand) and some Gold Saber, all 230 grains. It performed like I had always thought a Wilson should by eating everything and producing single ragged hole groups at 7 and 15 yards. The only incidents were 3 failures to go completely into battery on the first round if I used the slide release rather than the slingshot method. I have a feeling however, these were ammo related as they were all with the American Eagle. I will try some other ammo and a larger sample of all before I render my final judgment on this issue, but as of now I am not concerned. The Trigger is absolutely amazing, the safety functions properly and positively and it cycled smoothly. I did notice something I had not noticed before however, there is a spot on the corner of the slide just above the extractor that has had the finnish worn off, I assume from brass hitting this location. Is this normal? I did not check my brass for signs as I was at a busy indoor range with brass everywhere.
I don’t think its an issue, but confirmation would be appreciated.

I want everyone to know how appreciative and impressed I am with the Wilson Combats’ customer service. They handled my issues with concern and professionalism, they never seemed put out or defensive about fixing a used gun. They were gracious and should be commended for their efforts. After this experience, I would be much more likely to purchase from Wilson again, as well as be willing to work through a potential problem rather than just dumping a problem gun.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post, your moral support was appreciated.

It’s finally time to go shooting!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
735 Posts
Dude,

Wilson bent over backwards for you and your used gun, that is good to hear and I am glad your problem is gone. Wilson does take care of their customer's used gun's or not. Wilson has earned the right and respect to earn a future purchase from you for sure. You should have 100% confidence in Wilson now! From what you stated you probably saved I would guess about $300.00 or more on sending that gun to a smith to fix and change everything Wilson did.

I have been thinking of what my next 1911 will be (I want everything by the way) and from what you reported, I think a Wilson Professional will be my next gun purchase when the time come's.

Glad everything worked out.

CG

· Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I recieved a package in the mail yesterday containing my second magazine Wilson's forgot to send back with my repaired pistol. In the box were 2 more band new magazines, not the one they promised me to off set shipping costs, but two! Again, I am so pleased with Wilsons costomer service, not just because they fixed my gun and gave me free stuff, but because they care enough about there customers to insist on thier satisfaction. I can tell you without hesitation that they will get thier advertising dollars back out of those magazines, because I will tell EVERYONE!

And no more american eagle red box for me either. Yuk!

· Registered
73 Posts
Hope You Have No More Problems.

Sounds like they did a great deal of work to your gun. I hope it all works out for you. I'm curious to see if the slide not going fully into battery and feed the round continues. The reason I am saying this is because that was the problem I had with my KZ. It also had a great deal of work done to it and still had problems. I would think it was ammo related and then it would seem to go away with a different ammo...only to reappear again. Anyway- glad to see the customer service did a great job. Keep us posted.

· Registered
116 Posts
The problem with not going into battery for my KZ was due to the very dirty American Eagle ammo. It is the dirtiest ammo I have ever seen. It is almost like they mix charcoal with the powder. The tight chambers of the KZs will not tolerate a lot of filth for long before they clog, and then a few rounds will knock the filth out, and then it clogs again. Now I stick to the clean stuff.

· Banned
268 Posts
LET ME TELL YOU what I like about this story...

You have this guy with a used pistol who calls and gets courteous service, complete attention to detail and a generous concession for a minor mistake. This alone is noteworthy, but this is NOT what I like about the story.

What I like about this story is that a random rep at WC picked up the phone and the end result is what we all read. It didn't go to the shop, get half-ass treatment, then a manager came in like Superman and fixed everything the second/third time. One guy doing his job at WC accomplished on the first go the kind of service a manager/division head would have done on the second go after their underlings dropped the ball. I have dealt with customer service everybody raves about from another popular 1911 manufacturer. It was usually service that came out positive in the end (and unfortunately not so much anymore). Here we have it positive in the beginning. All of this is music to my ears as a new WC firearms customer, and I look forward to NOT having to use them. Congratulations to you for going with the right pistol. I have a feeling you have no regrets now.

· Registered
1,657 Posts
Given their great customer service and attitude to please, WC firearms may be among the very least expensive to own - in the long run! They have always kept me happy as well!

· Registered
833 Posts
I'm very happy to hear of your very postive experience with Wilson Combat. They really are great. However, and I do not mean a flame here whatsoever:) , but I wonder how your pistol missed the original QC inspection? Should it have left the factory in this condition from day one? I don't believe I have all the facts, however, I'm assuming that this is an un-modified, factory original gun, correct?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.