1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Please keep an eye out for a colt 1911 SN: 570791
It was stolen with some other guns but obviously this one means a lot more than the others.
Thanks.

Here's the rest of the stuff that was stolen:
SN# 570791 1918 Colt 1911 45 with original Brown leather holster (Boyt 42).
SN#: V0053CZ Dan Wesson Valor 1911 .45, Black duty coating.
SN#: SP9219CZ Dan Wesson 1911 RZ-10 Sportsman 10mm Stainless
SN#: G634CZ Dan Wesson 1911 Guardian 9mm
SN#: 515MN19196 Browning Buckmark .22, stainless camper URX.
Walther ppk/s 380 auto, interarms
Glock 17 Gen 4 9mm pistol, 3 mags
SN: 00Y05697 trijicon scope Accupoint 2.5-10x56 riflescope amber post
Russian Mammoth grips for 1911 blue and white made by Sarge
Reloading Press & dies

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Where do you live? This would help if someone who lives in your state or area if they see it at a gun show, dealer or swap shop. Man would I be rippin' pissed if someone stole my grandfather's 1911!!!!:mad: I will keep on eye out for you on Gun Broker and other online auction websites.

James

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
How did it happen? Were they stored in a safe? Did it appear to be a random "smash n' grab" burglary or do you think you were targeted?

Like srv1 said make sure the local pawn shops and such are made aware of it. Give all of them a printed list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was in an apartment in Plano Texas.
I did not have a gun safe. I sure as hell will from now on.

I live alone and was away on business for several months.
Sometime while i was gone two service providers were given access; one to check the fire alarms another to check the water meter. So those two people are possibilities and anyone from apartment mgmt/services.
Who ever burglarized my home had a key or a copy of the key and they took a lot of time they tried to clean up and hide their entry and they locked up when they left.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
There is a special place in hell reserved for the scum that stole your grandfather's 1911. Best of luck recovering all of your pistols.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
I realize it's a bit late now, but if you're going to be gone for a long time and can't secure your firearms properly it's a really good idea to leave them with somebody who can keep an eye on them for you. Living in an apartment + extended leave + no gun safe + access by unknown individuals pretty much equalled a guarantee those guns weren't going to be there when you got back. Not trying to pour salt into an open wound, but I thought maybe it might make somebody else reading this think twice about leaving firearms unsecured for a prolonged length of time.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I am a real believer in gun safes. They are well worth their cost. They will not stop everybody but they will stop all but the most professional and/or determined. Other security measures added in are always worth considering, the more the better.

Sorry to hear of this and good luck in recovery.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Lie detector tests for all who had access. Bet then you'd get them back.

Good idea, if the employer put that in their contract. Also, probably a good idea to approach the big guys who employ the guys who had access and let them know they are responsible for their employees and you expect them to investigate and to be accountable. Emphasize no one else had access and no sign of forced entry was found. Move up the chain of command till somebody seems to want to help. If not, ask for their legal department.

In my experience, when a police report is filed and they do a small intial investigation, there is little chance that LE will do much to find the stollen items. That was my experience in 1982 after my bedside pistol, a Rolex, stereo, TV, etc. was stollen from my house. Never heard a word on the items, investigation, Nothing. A few questions, a few fingerprints sought, that was it.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
This was in an apartment in Plano Texas.
I did not have a gun safe. I sure as hell will from now on.

I live alone and was away on business for several months.
Sometime while i was gone two service providers were given access; one to check the fire alarms another to check the water meter. So those two people are possibilities and anyone from apartment mgmt/services.
Who ever burglarized my home had a key or a copy of the key and they took a lot of time they tried to clean up and hide their entry and they locked up when they left.
Get yourself a Fort Knox FTK-PB pistol safe.It can hold up to 4 1911s and bolt it to the floor. I use one in an apartment back north.Do a search on youtube and you will see the safe.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
I think this is why we're starting to hear of landlords who prohibit tenants from keeping firearms in their apartments. They'd rather not deal with the liability rather than worry about their tenants' ability to protect themselves.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I think this is why we're starting to hear of landlords who prohibit tenants from keeping firearms in their apartments. They'd rather not deal with the liability rather than worry about their tenants' ability to protect themselves.
...and/or landlords don't want holes in their walls or floors!

·
Banned
1,327 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'd really talk to a lawyer to see if I had a case against the LLD. The second he allowed authorized people into your apartment was the second he accepted responsibility for your belongings.

Since there were no signs of a break in, the chances are quite good one of his workers or contractors burgled your property.

Unless hell froze over or there was an actual emergency that required it [flood, fire ect], I NEVER EVER entered my tenants apartment without them being there. The potential liability was just too great.

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
I'm sure the LLD has an escape clause buried somewhere in that mountain of paperwork the OP had to sign before he was given the key. When I got an apartment the papers specifically stated that the owners were not responsible for my safety nor the security of either my vehicle or my belongings. They could only recommend that I keep my door locked at all times and never let strangers inside. Since there was nothing saying I couldn't have a gun I assumed it was a green light for me to take care of my own security needs however I saw fit. :) But I was also well aware of just how easy it is to steal from apartment dwellers so I kept all the rest of my firearms with my parents during that time. It sucked having to be away from my babies, but I didn't want to risk it and my feelings were further reinforced when my vehicle was broken into one night. In fact, having been the victim of a car prowler not once, not twice, but three times so far I'm really down on the idea of ever leaving guns inside a vehicle for any length of time as well.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry Dude...I hate thieves

Hey

I hope you find these scumbags that stole your guns...I know how you feel I was robbed 10 years ago and my gun Smith & Wesson 659 9mm was stolen. I felt naked without it. I came home for lunch noticed my door was kicked open with a very large foot imprint on the door of my apartment. Lost everything that was valuable. My watches, money, gold, my prized Smith & Wesson (Oh yeah I didn't have ANY INSURANCE!!!!).. However, I COUNT MY BLESSINGS I was NOT at my apartment when the robbery was taking place. I heard of people walking in on robbery and getting shot with their own gun.. I bought a under the bed safe so at least it will be more difficult to steal my guns and my ammo boxes are all fitted with locks...Everything is locked up.

All I could do was hold my head up high. I rebuilt my collection over time..

Tough Break
Pete

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
The part I never get about apartment burglaries is that they happen in places where the tenants next door can hear every single freakin' noise you make, yet when somebody kicks in the door and makes off with all your stuff nobody ever heard or saw a thing..... :hrm:

·
Registered
4,490 Posts
As a lawman for 30 years, at least you have the serial numbers. I do not know how many times I have been on a burglary call and the owners do not know their property serial numbers. The 101st Airborne Division does not know the serial number of a 1911A1 issued to PFC Ryan in 1944.

Stay strong, I have heard of firearms returning to their owners after a few days, weeks or sometimes years. YMMV ...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts