1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting a few reloads, my Kimber PSII wouldn't fire one round. Turns out my crimp was not quite tight enough and caused an out of battery issue. It was just enough to engage the disconnect. I only use reloads for practice and I appreciate a good catch by the Kimber's tolerance.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
...or you could have had a thread like the one recently where the gun "blew up" from a reload error. Glad this thread doesn't have that kind of story. :D

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's true.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
My Kimber and a tight cylindered 625 were what convinced me to get a Lee FCD.

No issues since.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First I've heard of them, I had to look it up. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My gold match catches them this way.

During a cleaning I take the barrel to plunk test random newly hand loaded LRN rounds. Figure this is good enough for practice rounds and all usually pass.

What I didn't plan on was...when carrying a spare magazine in a front or back pocket for a length of time like a IPDA or Steel match. That waxy film from LRN bullets will collect all kinds of available sand, dust, dirt & lint causing just what you describe.

This is what practice is for, it can reveal all the things that can go wrong.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I use a chamber checker on every round I reload. If you don't have a good, tight one of those, then use your barrel. I also use a dedicated crimp die.

·
Premium Member
602 Posts
I use a chamber checker on every round I reload. If you don't have a good, tight one of those, then use your barrel. I also use a dedicated crimp die.
I also check every round before taking them to the range didn't catch my squib but that another story. Bought my set of check dies from Midway years ago and they work as well as Dillons over priced ones but not as nice.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts

No issues since.
+1 on Lee FCD.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

No issues since.
+1 on the Lee FCD. Has saved me a lot of aggravation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ditto with my experience using a Lee FCD. I occasionally had the same issue with an Ed Brown 45. I then noticed a very small lip (burr) around the case mouth after using a Hornady LNL progressive with a Hornady seating and crimp die. I then ran about 800 rounds that I had made through a Lee FCD and my problems went away. Previously I had no issues with these rounds in a Sig Nightmare 1911, or a Sig Ultra compact 1911. Apparently the Ed Brown has a tighter tolerance chamber, which coupled with a not so good crimp, caused my out of battery issues.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts