1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new single-stack LDA arrived today and I didn't waste a minute getting to the range. I bought this gun as my LEO-duty weapon to replace a Glock 21/30 combo. Admin won't let us carry SA (yet, I'm still working on them), so when the LDA came out, I knew my 9 year relationship with the Glock was coming to an end. Not that the Glock is a bad pistol, it's just not a 1911

After a quick field-strip and lube, I loaded mags and got to work. The first thing I did was load the factory mag. The second thing I did was unload it and chunk it. Loading the mag produced a squeaking, metal-on-metal sound as the follower rubbed against the inside of the tube. That can't be good. I had plenty of 8 round Wilsons anyway.

The trigger is sweet! Not like a nice SA, but it's the definitely the best DA ever! The take-up is long--about 1/4". During the take-up, the hammer comes back to a point about half-way between the back of the slide and the grip safety. Not as far back as a cocked SA. Just a little more pressure on the trigger and the hammer falls from there. I don't have a scale, but I believe the factory-specs of 5-6 pounds. You have to release the trigger almost all the way to get it to reset. That takes some getting used to as it's not a short reset like the Glock or a SA 1911. In the first few mags, I squeezed the trigger and it didn't move because I didn't reset it. There is definitely going to be a learning curve to retrain myself. On the positive side, there is very little overtravel. Even though it's supposed to be heavier, I'd compare the trigger to a 3.5 pound Glock.

Once I got used to it, the reset didn't slow me down on splits though. Comparing to the Glock and a SA 1911, the split times were the same and spread was the same as with the Glock and a little larger than with a SA (of course).

Accuracy was acceptable, given the sorry sights. There was bright sunlight at noon and I was getting a terrible glare off the front sight. It has too much angle and no serrations. Heinie Slant Pro Straight 8's are on the way from Brownells this very moment. Even with glare, 25 yards was 5" off-hand. That's just about as good as I'm going to do. From 7, all shots touched. That's good enough for me. Later, when I cleaned it, I did notice broaching marks in the grooves in the barrel that somebody else had mentioned.

I ended up shooting over 200 rounds: 100 Winchester ball, 50+ 230grain reloads and 50 duty 185gr +P Hydrashoks. No malfunctions.

Later that night, I cleaned it up and put some Slim-tech grips on it. Finally a Para that uses standard 1911 grips!

Even though Para told me so, I was disappointed to find out that a standard 1911 mainspring housing wouldn't fit. I really don't care for the stock arched housing. It's serrated plastic, btw. I tried a flat Wilson and it fit the groove but was too long. If you trim the top enough for it to seat without interfering with the grip safety, you'll get too close to the cap pin hole. You can't trim the bottom and leave the top alone because the MSH housing pin won't line up. Oh, well. Maybe somebody will make one. I'm tempted to grind this one flat and checker it.

This one is a keeper!

[This message has been edited by Wade (edited 01-30-2001).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Great review! I fondled one, briefly, yesterday at a gunshop. Very tempting for a fan of Para's like myself(have three currently, all full size 14-45's:Alloy, Limited, and LDA). would love to have taken the single stack home with me but I'm currently on a 9x23 kick and am going to save my penny's for a custom Burn's job

Please keep us updated as to it's progress, especially if the DA mechanism starts messing up like the one on my 14.45 LDA did(purchased in oct '99). You could rack the slide and the hammer would not follow the slide all the way forward to it's locked rest position and could by made to function by pulling the trigger without the grip safety being engaged. Sent it to Para(in PA) and got it back today with all new DA mechanism and detent in slide stop(complete set of DA parts with platform). seems to function better than ever and the malfunction is gone. Said they tested it with Ball and HP so tomorrow I'll see how it shoots personally. Para has very good customer service as far as I'm concerned.

Hope the single stack serves you well.

Eugene-

[This message has been Mega-edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-02-2001).]
deleted link to gif file
[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Handled one of these for the first time the other day. Pretty impressive. After a couple of weeks, have you found any quirks or problems with it?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last Tuesday, I sent my LDA back to Para for a bobbed hammer so it will fit in a duty holster with a thumbbreak. I also requested a flat mainspring housing. I got it back today (Monday) with no charge for the modifications. The work order also mentions that they installed upgraded trigger parts, including the "platform".

I have about 500 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions. I'm pretty happy about that. I put the trigger on an RCBS gauge and it came out to 3# takeup and a 5# break.
I did have to remove the Slim-tech grips, though. The LDA has an pin through the frame just below the bottom edge of the thumb safety. With the Slim-techs, the head of this pin is exposed. After 50 rounds or so, this pin would start to walk out so I put the stock grips back on it. They are just a hair wider and that is enough to retain the pin.

I am still quite satisfied with the 7.45 LDA.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Originally posted by Wade:
Last Tuesday, I sent my LDA back to Para for a bobbed hammer so it will fit in a duty holster with a thumbbreak. I also requested a flat mainspring housing. I got it back today (Monday) with no charge for the modifications. The work order also mentions that they installed upgraded trigger parts, including the "platform".

I have about 500 rounds through it so far with no malfunctions. I'm pretty happy about that. I put the trigger on an RCBS gauge and it came out to 3# takeup and a 5# break.
I did have to remove the Slim-tech grips, though. The LDA has an pin through the frame just below the bottom edge of the thumb safety. With the Slim-techs, the head of this pin is exposed. After 50 rounds or so, this pin would start to walk out so I put the stock grips back on it. They are just a hair wider and that is enough to retain the pin.

I am still quite satisfied with the 7.45 LDA.
Excellent. Any way you can post a pic of it so we can see what the hammer and mainspring housing look like? Also I keep wondering what they mean by "platform"?? Must be the newest/upgraded LDA parts or something.
Too bad about the slim techs...but I do like the wood Para put on the 7.45. I'd like to get rid of my 14.45LDA and get a 7.45 myself(Might wait for the limited though or stainless limited).

EDG

[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-13-2001).]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

In the photos, I've got the stock grips back on it. I've added hex head screws and skateboard tape. Below the grip safety in the bottom photo, you can also see the pin that was walking out. It's polished blue compared to the frame's matte and it really caught the camera flash. Unintended, but good for displaying what I was talking about.

I also like the stock grips. They are attractive and the checkering is adequate but no so sharp as to be uncomortable in concealed carry. The MSH is 20 lpi serrated plastic.

You can see the platform as #61 on the exploded diagram on Para's website, http://www.paraord.com/pages/about/parts.html

I have no clue what it does and I haven't worked up enough nerve to attempt to completely disassemble the pistol to find out.

[This message has been edited by Wade (edited 02-14-2001).]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice, Wade. I like the way that looks...I think I'll be getting one,eventually. I took a look at the internals of my 14.45 once and decided then and there I'm not taking that apart.
That pin must be for the LDA assembly because my 14.45 has it but my alloy P14-45 doesn't(neither does my Limited P14-45)I'll take some pics and add them in a little while.

EDG

·
Registered
127 Posts
Here's a comp shot of my P14-45(alloy), P14-45 Limited(Stainless), and 14.45LDA at the point where the LDA had the pin the others do not. The LDA is the last in the line and you can see the pin where on the others the grip tab is the only thing there.

EDG

[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-14-2001).]moved pic fixed link.

[This message has been edited by para-EDGe (edited 02-17-2001).]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.