1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Carried over from another thread:

"The new gun looks very good. The hammer is glass smooth, the extractor looks fine, the wood grips are a huge improvement, the finish seems to look better, and the sights are a definite improvement. That's all I could really see right off, and will check it out in detail this evening.

If it shoots as good as it looks, then it will shoot pretty damn good. I'm going to try to do without the wrap-around grips since these wood grips are a little more filling than some I've seen, and may work just fine. I'll mention again that they are pretty good looking.

I'm not about to complain about getting an obviously superior EFS for the price of my original FS model. Side-by-side comparison against another new FS made it clear why the EFS is $100 more.

This gun was inspected 4/28/01, so I don't know if that makes it one of the ones with Colt type grip screws or what. Honestly I don't care one way or the other."

For those of you who paid attention, the main problem I had with the original gun was off-center firing pin strikes and the resulting misfires. I just noticed a present in the carrying case: A fired shell casing showing that they did test fire the gun instead of just grabbing a new gun off the rack and shipping it out. It's a hair off-center, but well within what I consider normal and I have Colts that have identical strikes.

That's all I have for now, bit will be taking photos tonight so you guys can compare this gun to the photos from my original gun. I only hope my photo ability on the entire gun (not just parts) will do it justice.

·
Registered
233 Posts
congradulations walkingpoint on your new efs
i have seen them and they are no doubt an improvement over the previouse daly's,im just wondering about the cast parts?? i seen a efs that hade differnt slide serragations than the earlier dalys also efs that the same slide serragations hum
but one thing for sure that it does appear to be a improvement!
im considering buying one myself"....depends on walking point evaluation
. i really like the one i have now. oh by the way i got one of those presents with my daly too, it was a couple of hairs off center too". but thats pretty common with most firearms.im looking forward to reports and pictures

[This message has been edited by james beam (edited 06-07-2001).]

·
Registered
711 Posts
Walking Point;

Do you plan on giving us a range report like you did on the first CD?

That is when you get time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The off center strikes was also one of the problems I had with my CD. I have sent it back for inspection/analysis.

I think there was an article about what different types of pin strikes mean relative to your gun...one of the recent gun magazines...don't remember which. Guns&Ammo or Handguns I think.

------------------
"The urge to save
humanity is almost always
a false front for the
urge to rule."
H.L. Mencken

·
Registered
288 Posts
WP,

'Can't wait to see those pictures and your range reports. Good luck!

·
Registered
287 Posts
WP,
I am glad that the EFS finally arrived. I, like many others here, am eagerly looking forward to your evaluation and range report. I really appreciated your non-biased evaluation of your original CD. Are the internal parts on your new EFS cast?

good shootin', gf

·
Registered
104 Posts
WP can't wait to read the report....really liked the last one you did.

I live vicariously through you haha!

------------------
I guess if we do that.....maybe we all earn the right to go home.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm short on time right now, but will post a more thorough evaluation later tonight.

I wanted to post a photo of my first target shot with this gun.

Keep in mind that I was shooting rapid fire at the head and chest "A" zone fo this IDPA target. The sights were set low for these loads, but I was evaluating reliability and accuracy, not trying to fix the sights. After this, I filed the front sight down and zeroed the gun to hit my point of aim with my normal match ammo. I noticed the rear sight was slightly off-center, but I'm guessing it was sighted in at the factory because the sights were dead on for windage. Actually the sights were dead on for several of the factory rounds for elevation, but factory ammo will hardly ever be used in this gun.

With that being said, the target doesn't appear to be overly impressive, BUT keep in mind that this target has been shot 500 times, yet the accuracy is so good if I do my part that most shots went through 1.5" ragged holes.

I fired 1050 rounds through the gun Friday afternoon. There were NO failures of any kind. The gun functioned 100% with any ammo I shoved in it. I tried 200 grain SWC ammo with OALs varying from 1.20" to 1.50" with no trouble(hundreds of these). It ate up part of my stash of Black Talons, Hydra-Shoks, Cor-Bon 230 +P 230 grain JHPS (my carry ammo), Lawman ball ammo, and some handloads utilizing the well known Speer 200 JHP bullets.

I also found out it's good I never installed an extended slide stop on any of my 1911s. My thumb would keep the stop from functioning 99% of the time. I simply cut the excess off, polished and reblued it, and now I have semi-extended slide stop.

I don't think I'm going to post any more photos unless someone requests them because there's simply nothing to complain about beyond a very minor issue I'll cover later.

My next post will go into details on my impressions of the gun, cast parts in general (I saw that mentioned above), and whatever else comes to mind. There's a couple of negative things that I didn't care about, but they could be big deal to someone else.

As far as the accuracy, reliability, and looks are concerned, this gun does fit the bill as a reasonable priced 1911 alternative that would be perfectly adequate for self defense or competition. While the above statement is true, I'll dive deeper into the issue with my next post.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now that I have a little more time, I’ll go into this new EFS in a little more detail.

From an appearance standpoint the pistol is nearly perfect. The only thing I can see is the upper surface on the Heinie look-alike rear sight is slightly beat up. I could fix it with 6 strokes of a file, so this is of little concern.

The hammer, which was horrible on my original FS, looked exactly like a Chip McCormick hammer. I took a photo, but the slight wear from my shoot-a-thon looks like file marks for some reason on the photo, so I’m not going to post it here.

The extractor is obviously a cast part, but the hook looks good, so no complaints from me. I will note that an aftermarket extractor is still not a drop-in part unless you don’t mind 1/16” of extractor sticking out of the slide. I’ll fit an Ed Brown extractor as soon as I feel like filing. I will say that the factory extractor is fitted so well that my finger can’t feel where the slide ends and the extractor cuts begins. Nice.

The wood grips are a 100% improvement over the “cheesy” plastic grips on the FS. I’m not even going to replace these right now.

The slide to frame fit is tight, but not overly so. Perfect for reliability.

The barrel lock-up is a little loose, but from my earlier post, you can see it doesn’t harm the accuracy, so I’m doing nothing at this time. My best individual 8 shot groups ran 1.75” at 25 yards.

The trigger is my only real complaint, but since I replace the trigger on every 1911 I’ve ever bought, this was of no concern. It is certainly something anyone should look for before purchasing any CD though. The issue was that if pressure was exerted on the bottom of the trigger (not a straight pull), then an obvious snag could be felt. If I really tried to pull it off-center, the hammer wouldn’t fall. While this might have smoothed out after a little shooting, it’s something that everyone needs to be on the lookout for. Basically the trigger just didn’t have a tight fit or the surface area of some aftermarket triggers. This allowed it to “cock” in the frame. The looseness was not excessive, and I could find no burrs on the trigger or frame, so I’m saying the contact surface on the trigger must have had the most to do with it. I can’t recall checking for this on any other gun, so I don’t know if this is a common problem or not. I think it’s probably unusual. When the trigger was pulled straight back, then it had a decent trigger pull straight from the box. This trigger was replaced with an aftermarket Wilson trigger. I also polished the trigger bow and disconnector contact points to as close to a mirror finish as I could get. After applying shooters choice gun grease to the various trigger components, the trigger pull was very nice. After a few hundred rounds it compared favorably to some of my reworked Colts. An aftermarket trigger is fairly cheap, so I’d recommend this be replaced. Mine didn’t fit as tight as I like due to it being fitted to another gun in the past, so a new trigger will be ordered immediately.

Just for the heck of it I tried to fit a Colt mag release. Once again it was oversized for the frame. I see no need to replace the CD unit, but the Colt (or an extended aftermarket version) could be fitted with little trouble.

The ambi safety functions crisply and has none of the sharp edges that my FS had.

For anyone who saw the sandpaper looking finish on the FS frame rails, the rails on this gun are nothing like that. Once again my photo made the normal finish wear look like somebody had filed on it, so that photo got trashed as well. I’ve got to work out better lighting for these photos.

The firing pin stop had been filed to fit flush, and this was left bare. I cold blued it, but it seems like this could have been done by the guy with the file. It took a total of 2 minutes, so no big deal.

The beveled mag well looks like it was hand filed, not machine cut. On side is a little rough, but the finish makes it hard to see. It’s very serviceable, so once again I don’t care.

BTW, the hole in my mainspring housing is round. So are the holes in the link.

Suffice it to say, since I paid for an FS model, I’m very happy with this EFS. Matter of fact, had I paid the $479 for this EFS, I’d still be very satisfied. It’s hard to argue with over 1000 rounds fired accurately with no malfunctions of any kind. I’ll be using it in an unsanctioned IDAP/IPSC combination type match tomorrow, so obviously I’m as pleased with the gun as I was with the KBI customer service.

I will attach a rather poor quality photo or two of the basic gun, but the photos could be a lot better. Something I’ll have to work on in the future.

If I forgot anything I’ll post a follow-up, but I’ll be happy to answer any questions.

Oh hell, I'll go ahead and post a photo of the rear sight so you can see the slight damage.

I'll talk a little more in my next post.

[This message has been edited by Walking Point (edited 06-09-2001).]

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess one of the reasons the CD is inexpensive is the cast parts.

Can you live with the cast parts? That's your decision. If you can't, then you need to look at the amount of money you'll be spending on aftermarket parts versus the additional money you could have spent and gotten a Springfield. No cast parts there, plus you get a forged frame and slide. Something to consider. The CD with aftermarket parts may not be forged, but it will be better looking than the basic Springfield, and is likely going to be more accurate from what I've seen. Just a personal decision.

I'm torn right now on the cast parts issue. On one hand I don't like them on basic principle. On the other hand, what does a cast disconnector hurt? Or a cast mag release? There's a few others that really shouldn't matter(I'm still thinking about the barrel bushing).

What I think constitutes "parts that must be replaced" would be the trigger and extractor. If I could get the damn thing loose, I'd add the ejector, but right now I'll leave it alone.

The trigger should be replaced just to get a better fit, overtravel adjustment, and to eliminate any chance of having that "hanging up" problem I saw. The extractor was orignally intended to be spring steel, so a cast part has always been a must replace situation for most folks. Cast extractors are not unusual on several 1911s, but damned if I know who decided to start that trend. It's just wrong. End of sermon.

So far I still like the magazines and will use the 4 I have in tomorrow's competition. In case it hasn't occured to anyone, these mags can't be used with an aftermarket mag well due to the base.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Walking point , I very much enjoyed your words on the new gun . I hope that I get a favorable response from the folks at Charles Daly like you . My gun so far shoots o.k. but I cant get past the Groundhog hole drilled in the frame for the mainspring housing its just ridiculous looking . I cant beleive I overlooked it at purchase time but the gunshop owner was trying to close up when I bought it and he really hurried me along with the paperwork and all total time spent there was maybe 10 minutes including the NICS check . Anyway glad you had good luck and I surely hope that I do hear good things from them . Talk to ya later .

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm an IDPA Expert and IPSC "A" class shooter and I won my class today in an unsantioned (I prefer these) 5 stage IDPA/IPSC combination type match.

What gun did I use??? Hmmmmmmm....Could it be?????.....Was it??????Maybe it was.....YES INDEED it was my new EFS!

I even beat our newest, hottest master class prodigy who was using a tricked out compensated race gun in 2 of the 5 stages.

I'd like to give the gun credit for my first class victory against this particular group of shooters, but it simply did it's job as well as the Colts I normally use. Come to think of it...that's all anyone can expect from a gun.

I use this particular match to experiment with ways to beat my newest arch rival in my favorite monthly match. This chap is a master class shooter who has been to every handgun school and class that's ever been offered. Unfortunately he and I shoot in the same class in my favorite match, and so far it's been no contest. My butt gets waxed.

It's bad when I can beat anyone in the field by at least 3 seconds, then this guy steps up and smokes me by 5 seconds. All I've been able to do so far is hope for a 3 gun match so I can dust him with a rifle and shotgun.

I've been watching and learning, so maybe today's result is a sign that I have hope for eventual victory in my quest for ultimate domination...(lol)

At any rate, the pistol, as well as the magazines (used in several stages) performed well and will also be used in next Saturday's IDPA match, next Sunday's IPSC match (Limited 10), and my favorite nonsanctioned match the following Sunday (I normally use a .38 Super there). After that, I'll play it by ear.

I'll be out of town until Friday night, so don't think I deserted the forum now that my gun is 100%.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts