1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
M1991A1. I like its simplicity. In some ways it is every bit as solid as my Combat Elite. Each individual part seems to be very well made. The slide to frame fit is loose. It rattles. It's supposed to. :) The barrel lock up is impressive. Very tight and solid. Cleaned and lubed and ready for the range.

I've already abandoned more expensive plans for a higher end 1911 and will be sending this one to Colt for the tactical package.

I have not shot it yet. Tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Everything you need, nothing you don't. The Colt 1911 has been stopping fights and saving it's owners lives for 100 years now. And during most of that time it did it just fine dead, issue, box stock with 230gr. roundnosed jacketed Ball ammo! It built it's "street rep" on it's as issued form - think about that for a minute.

The American Soldier, Sailor or Airman never had any doubts that his issue handgun would work - or that it woud put his adversary on his back immediately if he did his part. It made it's reputation from doing, not talk. From chasing Pancho Villa in the nineteen "teens, to the deadly trenches of WWI, to shooting down the Japanese Banzai charge in the dark on Edson's Ridge on Guadalcanal, the American Fighting Man could count on his 1911 - and we still can. Korea, Vietnam, all the way up to the present day, nobody ever felt undergunned in the handgun department who carried the 1911.

If I had to save my life with a dead stock, as issued WWI Colt 1911 and three mags of Ball, I'm quite sure I could do that. I might like my Customized IPSC Limited SS Colt Government with the nicer trigger and the better sights, but I know I'd get through the night just fine with either Colt.

The Colt "Government Model". "Takin' Care of Business" for 100 years.

I like the way you think! Too many are impressed by the wrong things. CC

·
Registered
556 Posts
Mine is similar, different hammer as far as I can see. Mine is the Combat Commander, got it after the Lightweight Commander because I liked the simplicity of the design.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is similar, different hammer as far as I can see. Mine is the Combat Commander, got it after the Lightweight Commander because I liked the simplicity of the design.

The M1991A1 Commander has the Commander style hammer with a little hole in it.

Honestly, I am liking this thing more each time I look at it or hold it, which has been more than a few times since I picked it up yesterday :)

Can't wait to break it in at lunchtime. It's been a while since I've been to the range so it'll be an extra fun time.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good looking piece. Congrats! Now put that safety on! :)
Yeah I noticed that after I took the pictures. :eek:

At least it wasn't loaded.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Grats on your new Colt

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, I've been thinnking a lot about exactly how my Combat Elite is supposed to be so much better than this gun. It is better, but really not that much. It has a match barrel, but I have read that regular Colt barrels are basically match grade. It has an enhanced hammer and three hole trigger, which I am not sure inproves the function of the gun, but it looks cool. It has low mount sights, which are usefull for carry, and fancy grips that I took of anyway. It has a beavertail grip safety which may or may not be an advantage, depends on the user. So I can see why it cost a couple hundred more. It's fancy, and slightly tighter, which could be a matter of chance rather than a deliberate effort on Colt's part. In a self defense situation I would not be any better off with it, and it's not so fancy that I won't carry it and use it. And I actually think the three dot sights on the 1991 have pretty dang good visibility even if they snag on my Remora car holster, which is a pretty small deal.

And all of this makes me think about the $2k+ 1911's out there. They are nice. I will have one someday, no doubt. But I see it going like this... At some point I'll be able to justify the cost without feeling queasy, and I'll get one. I'll never carry it because I'll be too afraid of wearing the finish or scratching it. It will be a range gun/safe queen. After a while I will sell it to finance another high-end brand and repeat the process. I'll have fun and spend a lot of money but.

None of them have the Mystique and Povenance of Colt. All of them have hundreds, or thousands, of dollars in diminishing returns on workmanship. No doubt they are finely crafted and just pretty amazing machines bordering on art. But to what end? In the end I remember it's a gun. A dirty, loud, tool meant to be used in the most harsh and unfortunate circumstances.

I've only been shooting since September of last year. What you just read is just the latest iteration of what I've felt in my gut the whole time regarding 1911 brands.

So anyway.... I'm going to the range in about 15 minutes :rock:

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm pissed. The range was booked for two hours. :(

Reserved some time for tonight. It's my son's birthday. He LOVES going to the range with me. Works out well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts