1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I went to the gun show in Dodge City. I took my two kids and it was my daughters first show. My kids wanted to know if they could get anything and being the good dad that I am I told them that not unless I got something. I've never have seen a Coonan and at the first table and the man had three. One a base model for $1350, one basic with adjustable sights for $1390 and a Duracoat w/ night sights for $1600 all w/one magizine. I manage to walk away and what do I find at another table? That's right another Coonan with 3 magizines and he wanted $1500 for it. My kids kept telling me that I manage to leave without buying anothing for anybody. My kids spent the night telling me to get it. We went back the next day and the two basic model were gone. I went to the other table and found out the one with three magizines had five magizines. When I asked how much he told me $1400 so I got it. As I was doing the paperwork I saw the tag that showed the price as $1700. Now the problem is finding factory .357. GOt it home and love it! Now I just got to get a holster so I can carry it as an off duty gun. Fit is nice over all, but it has some tool mark on the inside of the dust cover. Like Sarge 43 gave in his review I think it could use some stipaling on the front of the grip and the backstrap. I would also like the mag well to be opened up so mag changes would be quicker.

My kids each got a knife. My son wanted a S&W model10. My daughter spent the time telling me which guns she likes and collecting business cards so when she get older she can buy them. I think she is going to keep my gun poor for a long time!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have a Coonan too. Mine also has those funky slim "trimmed" front cuts in the front of the dust cover! Coonan told me that it is standard hand fitting after assembly! I reload and this beast will only cycle full power loads! The gun is a friggin blast to shoot!

G

·
Registered
191 Posts
Odinkar.. The 5 clips were the breaker!! They are spendy !! You did well!! Did your nice package come with the loading tool?? I'm not seeing one in the pics. All the new guns come with one .... Sarge43 does very nice work.. I'm waiting for some grips from him myself. have fun with your new toy!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It came with all the goodies. Bottle of CLP, Loading tool w/ ear plugs, 38 spring, and the fired cases. I can't wait til I can get to the range and see how it shoots

·
Registered
124 Posts
Have you shoot it yet? The thought of a .357 auto that's not a Desert Eagle is pretty cool, especially based on the 1911. Are you able to lighten the recoil springs and fire .38 special? I would also like to know how comfortable the grip is?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you shoot it yet? The thought of a .357 auto that's not a Desert Eagle is pretty cool, especially based on the 1911. Are you able to lighten the recoil springs and fire .38 special? I would also like to know how comfortable the grip is?
It comes with a spring so that I can shoot .38s. I was wondering how to tell the springs apart, but the .38 is about two inchs longer so no problem there. The grip feel a lot like my 1911s that I carry on duty. A little longer front to back of course, but not bad at all even with my smallish hands. I would like to get some grips with a "dished out" spot by the mag release so I didn't have to shift my grip. I'm hoping to get out this week and shot it. Between trying to find factory .357 ammo (What Coonan tells you to use) and finding time with work, it' been hard.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally took my Coonan out last week. At first it would not go into battery from slide lock with a full magizine, but smooded out after the first couple of mags. I've got one mag that won't lock the slide back after the last round, but will if you hand cycle it. I'll keep it marked to see if it will once it is broke in. I only put 100 rounds through it ( half 125gr and 158gr). Not as much recoil as my .45. Kicks the emptys out about 25ft. It has a lot of play in the front end. I think that if the guild rail came out more to the end or had a second set it might take care of it. I don't know if that will affect accuary. Time will tell. Anyone know where I can get night sights and how much they run. I can't believe how hard it is to find .357 ammo. I can get all the high dollar SD ammo I can find, but not practice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Odinkar.. I spotted 2 boxes of Winchester 158 grain JSP at Our Walmart today.. stood there and stared at it for about 5 minutes. To not be a part of the shortage cause and not be a hoarder I by passed at $26.95 box/50. which is a good price. But unfortunately you are correct.. .357 is hard to come by.. I also mark my mags. as I had one that just kept failing... they replaced for me. For night sights this is from the COONAN web site. They show the site upgrades also.

Q: What type of night sights are available on the pistol?
A: Tritium night sights with genuine Trijicon lamps.

Hope that helps you some....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great buy well done.
I absolutely love my Coonan, by far my favorite hand gun.
I reload for mine, and have run it with everything from 1100 Fps loads all the way up to 1750 Fps loads. It cycles all of those on the heavy spring and runs 800 Fps loads on the 38 spring.
Yours will need at least 500 odd shots to run it in, it's gotta cycles power and that rimmed case. My mags a fairly hot and miss with locking slide back, all comes down to the load shooting, mine won't lock super hot loads or weak loads, nut locks back on loads doing about 1450 Fps.
A major lock back factor is wrist strength, anything bar holding real strong, it won't lock, and may not cycle, mine def does not like left hand shooters, it for some reasons fails to eject.

Absolutely love mine, can't get enough of it, have over 2000 rounds of mixed power through mine in a year!!!
MA

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I finally took my Coonan out last week. At first it would not go into battery from slide lock with a full magizine, but smooded out after the first couple of mags. I've got one mag that won't lock the slide back after the last round, but will if you hand cycle it. I'll keep it marked to see if it will once it is broke in. I only put 100 rounds through it ( half 125gr and 158gr). Not as much recoil as my .45. Kicks the emptys out about 25ft. It has a lot of play in the front end. I think that if the guild rail came out more to the end or had a second set it might take care of it. I don't know if that will affect accuary. Time will tell. Anyone know where I can get night sights and how much they run. I can't believe how hard it is to find .357 ammo. I can get all the high dollar SD ammo I can find, but not practice.
Blew through 100 rounds of 357 ammo today with the Coonan. The last couple range trips I've had issues with the slide not locking open after the last round. 4 out of the 14 mags I loaded, would not lock open after the last round. Also where the slide stop lever sits in the slide, I noticed a burr that is sticking out from the slide which I'm not sure is normal? Even slightly deforming the slide stop lever. I contacted Coonan last week and they told me it's either an ammo issue or a lack of lubrication. This is Federal and Remington ammo and I made sure to lube like crazy. I think I'll forward these photos to them and see what they say.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsnnpqdcmi.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsvzmiczti.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsah6v9f6h.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Andrew we probably should not hijack this thread. Try posting this under the gun smithing heading. I did. A quick youtube search and there is some good info there on things to check if you are intersted

·
Registered
75 Posts
I DONT like the look of that slide, i may NOT BUY that COMPACT

Blew through 100 rounds of 357 ammo today with the Coonan. The last couple range trips I've had issues with the slide not locking open after the last round. 4 out of the 14 mags I loaded, would not lock open after the last round. Also where the slide stop lever sits in the slide, I noticed a burr that is sticking out from the slide which I'm not sure is normal? Even slightly deforming the slide stop lever. I contacted Coonan last week and they told me it's either an ammo issue or a lack of lubrication. This is Federal and Remington ammo and I made sure to lube like crazy. I think I'll forward these photos to them and see what they say.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsnnpqdcmi.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsvzmiczti.jpg

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t372/andrewd1220/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsah6v9f6h.jpg
HI I have the COMP gun and WAS thinking of getting a standard bbl and selling the comp bbl off, but I knew there was going to be a lot more recoil but I like my 460s so recoil is no big deal, BUT after seeing YOUR slide? if our slides don't hold up no better that I think I better think twice about buying that standard barrel and twice about buying that COMPACT COONAN I was just fixing to buy. anyone else want to jump in on this. I don't fall for LUBE having crap to do with that peeining or how you spell it? over of that slide! john

·
Registered
75 Posts
KENSIGHT what Coonan uses for there OEMs

Odinkar.. I spotted 2 boxes of Winchester 158 grain JSP at Our Walmart today.. stood there and stared at it for about 5 minutes. To not be a part of the shortage cause and not be a hoarder I by passed at $26.95 box/50. which is a good price. But unfortunately you are correct.. .357 is hard to come by.. I also mark my mags. as I had one that just kept failing... they replaced for me. For night sights this is from the COONAN web site. They show the site upgrades also.

Q: What type of night sights are available on the pistol?
A: Tritium night sights with genuine Trijicon lamps.

Hope that helps you some....
the KENSIGHT co is were COONAN buys there sights they got 11 sizes heights alone in a front Night sights Contoured Base, so you can get you Coonan to shoot high or lower and they make the Rear fixed or ADJ sight too. and they will sell to YOU. we buy all our sights wholesale from these guys and they are great about helping customers. john

·
Registered
102 Posts
HI I have the COMP gun and WAS thinking of getting a standard bbl and selling the comp bbl off, but I knew there was going to be a lot more recoil but I like my 460s so recoil is no big deal, BUT after seeing YOUR slide? if our slides don't hold up no better that I think I better think twice about buying that standard barrel and twice about buying that COMPACT COONAN I was just fixing to buy. anyone else want to jump in on this. I don't fall for LUBE having crap to do with that peeining or how you spell it? over of that slide! john
I have the comp and regular barrel.The comp(early one) was sent back and was upgraded to the new style because the old one wouldn't let enough back pressure to cycle it properly.The new one took a lot of lube(FP-10) to finally getting it to run properly but it does now.The regular barrel with the 22 pound spring ran good from the onset.Ammo used was 158 grain American eagle.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts