1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my quest to buy a Beretta 92FS ended up with me getting a Browning Hi Power, Belgian manufacture, on Saturday for a steal. Very good shape, blued, serial number in the 77CXXXXX range. It came with a magazine which is sleightly green in color. I've heard that this may be a military mag, or is it just an original one?

I also picked up a book by Donald McLean circa 1966 on the Hi Power, and three NIB Pachmayr 13 round mags. All in all, a good day.

Today was even better since I shot it! It shoots WONDERFULLY, and it really performs better than I could have hoped. Even my wife enjoyed shooting it! The Pachmayr grips really made a difference.

This is my first 9x19, and my excuse was that I could buy a NIB Beretta anytime, but not a nice mirror-finish blued gun like this any time I wanted. Any suggestions to this Hi Power neophyte would be welcomed!

Check Six.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I too am a new BHP owner. My dealer had two used 9mm HP in his case and I agonized over which one to buy last Saturday. Finally I decided on a 87 vintage military version. I shot it over the weekend and as soon as the shop opened this morning, I was there to buy the second one. As Mr. Camp says, I am infected...I've ordered the springs and Buffer Technology shock buffs that Mr. Camp recommended because I want my "new" (1987 and 1988 vintage) to last a long time. I don't know why it has taken me so long to join the HP world but I'm glad I finally did. Hope you are enjoying your new toy as much as I am mine.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.

Do you have any sources for the spring and buffer that you recommended?

I tried to check the manufacture date on mine at the Browning web site, but the code doesn't match what they have listed there. I may end up calling them to find out.

Check Six.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. The below-listed links might be of use for those "infected" with "galluping gunahrea":

(Don't let the initial "sticker shock" on the shock buffs throw you; they last much longer than the smaller thinner ones commonly used in the great 1911.)

http://www.gunsprings.com/
http://www.buffertech.com/

Best.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Greetings Mr. Camp. I think Galloping Gunorrhea is the best descriptive phrase I have ever heard to describe what I have heretofore called Gunitis. I will steal it if I may. I don't suppose you are surprised to learn I purchased the second BHP. Just like potato chips aren't they. The shop has a brand new one in stock but it is a 40 and so far I have resisted entering the pursuit of yet another caliber.

As usual you came through with the requested information before the rest of us. Thanks for your advice and interest. I read every post you make on every board I follow. I think you are approaching Guru status.
Regards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have that bug as well.....got it from some dirty little canadian....her last name was inglis...well now i have sought to collect all the hi powers i can and shoot the living crap out of them.....and them rebuild them and do it again.... :rock: :D

·
Registered
754 Posts
Adventurer_96 said:
Thanks for the info.

Do you have any sources for the spring and buffer that you recommended?

I tried to check the manufacture date on mine at the Browning web site, but the code doesn't match what they have listed there. I may end up calling them to find out.

Check Six.
Your year is a 1977 "C" model which is a very good pistol modeled concurently after the "T" series ended in the ealy 70's. Don't think that the magazine is original???

RC

·
Registered
296 Posts
----

Your text is good, but we need PICTURES!!! :biglaugh:

' I rather have it and don't need it, than not have it when I need it'

·
Registered
114 Posts
A couple of years ago I bought a new gray - green "Made in Italy" HP mag with an attached base pad. I was told by the seller that it was military. It commanded a $5 premium over the blue ones. Who's military is my question??
Randy

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. I don't know if it was for military use or not, but have purchased several over the years at the same price as standard blue HP magazines from Browning.
I suspect the dealer used the different finish to jack up the price a bit. You might post this over at www.fnhipower.com and mark it to the attention of Bartholomew Roberts. He had done quite a lot of research on the various makers of HP magazines as well as variations from makers.

I cannot recall if your question is answered on his site, but here is the link as you might like to check and see:

http://www.ont.com/users/kolya/bhpmagfaq.htm

Best.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks alot. That's a great link.I'm going to acquire more factory mags after the big rush slows down a bit. Randy

·
Registered
609 Posts
to my knowledge Belgian military mags are not green, they are usually blued, but it could be that an old mag body gets phosphated after original color blueing was gone and they just put in new springs

@Cascade: 1987 vintage military? what do you mean: military configuration or a gun that has been a military sidearm? and what army are you then referring to?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts