2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It all started here ...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=972844

and continued...

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=972940

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=973786

(just for your reference)

So...I received my Monolith Heavyweight back yesterday, which was very impressive considering it was a five (business) day turn-around. My invoice reads the following...

*Installed new barrel link
*Adjusted Slide Stop
*Checked over complete pistol & test fired

I couldn't wait to get it to the range today...so much so that I chose not to wait for my American Eagle 230gr to arrive and used the Speer Lawman 230gr I had on hand. I did NOT share this with Les because I knew his response would be to blame the ammo (which runs fine in both my other 1911's), but I will keep this short and sweet...THE PISTOL IS WORSE!!

It literally jams every other round, and that includes the Tripp Research Cobra mags that worked so flawlessly before I shipped it back to LB. Mostly OOB fails, but also the feeding issues...and exponentially more frequent!! First malf happend on round #3 and it went downhill from there.

I spoke with Les today, and he was his indignant self. Started off with an angry "OK, hold on a minute now..." then proceeded to inform me that he "personally fired 100-rounds through [my] pistol and it ran like a Swiss clock". I asked him what he did to fix the initial problem, and he replied "I dont have your invoice in front of me". So...he remembers shooting my pistol, but not fixing it?? It was difficult for me to dial back the level of my displeasure after discovering I once again will have to pay ANOTHER $60 to ship it back for round two...but I am at his mercy and if I piss him off my pistol will be held hostage for who knows HOW long. He offered to give me "three of four new magazines" for my trouble. WHAT?? I so badly wanted to say "OK, as long as they're not YOUR brand".

I may end up having to take this to another pistolsmith to get it running properly, so (with that PLUS multiple aftermarket mag purchases and $120 in shipping) that will put the true cost for this pistol squarely in the price range of a Wilson Combat...which is what I should have went with in the first place.

Sadly, this will be THE LAST Les Baer I ever buy...and I cannot in good conscience recommend his product to anyone.

~

·
Registered
222 Posts
It all started here (for your reference)

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=972844

So...I received my Monolith Heavyweight back yesterday, which was very impressive considering it was a five (business) day turn-around. My invoice reads the following...

*Installed new barrel link
*Adjusted Slide Stop
*Checked over complete pistol & test fired

I couldn't wait to get it to the range today...so much so that I chose not to wait for my American Eagle 230gr to arrive and used the Speer Lawman 230gr I had on hand. I did NOT share this with Les because I knew his response would be to blame the ammo (which runs fine in both my other 1911's), but I will keep this short and sweet...THE PISTOL IS WORSE!!

It literally jams every other round, and that includes the Tripp Research Cobra mags that worked so flawlessly before I shipped it back to LB. Mostly OOB fails, but also the feeding issues...and exponentially more frequent!! First malf happend on round #3 and it went downhill from there.

I spoke with Les today, and he was his indignant self. Started off with an angry "OK, hold on a minute now..." then proceeded to inform me that he "personally fired 100-rounds through [my] pistol and it ran like a Swiss clock". I asked him what he did to fix the initial problem, and he replied "I dont have your invoice in front of me". So...he remembers shooting my pistol, but not fixing it?? It was difficult for me to dial back the level of my displeasure after discovering I once again will have to pay ANOTHER $60 to ship it back for round two...but I am at his mercy and if I piss him off my pistol will be held hostage for who knows HOW long. He offered to give me "three of four new magazines" for my trouble. WHAT?? I so badly wanted to say "OK, as long as they're not YOUR brand".

I may end up having to take this to another pistolsmith to get it running properly, so (with that PLUS multiple aftermarket mag purchases and $120 in shipping) that will put the true cost for this pistol in squarely the price range of a Wilson Combat...which is what I should have went with in the first place.

Sadly, this will be THE LAST Les Baer I ever buy...and I cannot in good conscience recommend his product to anyone.

~
That is sad, It makes me rethink if a custom 1911 is worth the money?

·
Registered
669 Posts
Flight Medic I’m surprised & disappointed for you. You have done everything right & Les has done you wrong. My concept V runs perfect with any ammo including reloads that an employee at my range does himself. I have only used Wilson etm & 47d mags but that should not make a difference. I do know what you’re feeling because of my experience with Dan Wesson. I had 2 that didn’t run reliably & the 45 Valor Commander went back twice & came back unreliable. I did not pay for shipping but I lost $1100 dumping them. Les should pay for shipping you have already done so on the 1st time back. It sure sounds like you got a lemon just like the 2 DW’s I had & I am done with them & agree with your opinion on Baer guns & being done with them from your experience.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Sorry you are having so much trouble. My experience with my LB PII has been just the opposite. Really surprised that they didn’t fix yours.

·
Premium Member
5,294 Posts
Can’t imagine how your feeling. Feel bad for you as this will certainly and understandably cement your feelings towards Baers.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
That stinks. I don't own an LB but have(had) one on my list.
Nothing is 100%, 100% of the time, but it's not unreasonable to think it certainly shouldn't be worse. I would also think LB should pick up shipping although I don't know their policy.
Good luck getting it worked out.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Every company produces lemons at some point. It's how they handle the issues that sets them apart.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Surprised you are having issues with a 45, Baer seems to do that well.
Uncle Les' monkey's didn't build my UTC 9 worth a crap. Took 2 trips to Alchemy to get right, at least with around 160 trouble free rounds, right.

Sell it and go Wilson or Nighthawk, probably be right out of the box or at least have CS to stand behind their product.

Makes me thoroughly miss the fact that SACS is not what it used to be.

·
Registered
866 Posts
So how does a lemon make it out of the factory if the pistols are test fired? If you're selling a custom built, premium product and charging a premium, wouldn't it be prudent to test fire it with at least a couple different types of ammo to check it out? Wilson seems to shoot quite a few test rounds with various ammo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy4ySKpuqN8

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It all started here (for your reference)

~
@Flight Medic I'd be happy to take it off your hands for you. My 2 Baers have been fantastic thus far. I have a competition Concpt V with something like 30k rounds through it, and a TRS with 2-3k and they are just perfect.

I'm in Dallas, too, if you want to hit up DPC and take a look at yours.

·
Registered
289 Posts
What kind of failures are you having? I seem to remember from last thread it was a breech over base malfunction.

Do you have a pic of what it looks like when it fails?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,760 Posts
Try the AE. There was some dreadfully poor Lawman sold here a few years ago; people were lined up at the gunsmith and return desk. The store got in a shipment of a different brand of econoball and all the worries went away.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Try this :

Find a phillips screw driver or a rod that is a hair smaller than the SS cross pin and try a few mags with it (from a bench). If the gun functions fine, then the problem is the barrel feet was fitted too tight.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<SNIP>Do you have a pic of what it looks like when it fails?</SNIP>
See the link in my first post. The feeding issues look like that.

The failure to go into battery aren't as obvious, but looking at the muzzle end of the pistol you can see that the slide is about 1/8th inch from fully forward. And the slide gets "stuck"...very difficult to rack the round out at that point. I have to grip the slide from the top with my left hand and then repeatedly jam the palm of my right hand into the back of the grip to get it to release.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Pathetic response from old Lester Baer. His indifference toward customer concerns is shameful. People can come out and say how their Lester Bears function flawlessly but this poor guy got stung twice. Too many quality 1911 manufacturers out there that care about their customers and reputation, than to give Lester a dime.

·
Premium Member
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try the AE. There was some dreadfully poor Lawman sold here a few years ago; people were lined up at the gunsmith and return desk. The store got in a shipment of a different brand of econoball and all the worries went away.
If the ammo was giving ANY of my other .45's difficulty I would attribute it to that. But my S&W e-series 1911 burns through that very same batch of Lawman with nary a whimper. AND...the first time I had the Monolith to the range it only had ONE hiccup with the Lawman ammo.

·
Administrator
13,257 Posts

~
Sorry it didn't work out .

We'll give you the last word .

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.