1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I have finally finished putting together my carry weapon which is based on the Kimber MARSOC ICQB 1911. The only differences (outside of the DET markings) are as follows:

Kimber Series I Custom Classic 5" Gov.
Kimber full length guide rod
Kimber factory barrel & bushing
Kings Ambi Safety (Brownells - 487-201-101)
Cylinder & Slide Hammer, Disconnector & Sear (CS209)
Smith & Alexander Grip Safety with Palm Swell (GS PS BL S80)
Smith & Alexander Checkered Flat Mainspring Housing with Lanyard Ring (GMFB MSH W/LR)
Ed Brown Hardcore Slide Stop (810-HC Blue)
Simonich Gunner Grips (Black)
Novak Lo-Mount black rear sight (LMC 29) & front night sight (DFS07 .150)

I use Wilson 47D magazines with this weapon

Details regarding the Kimber MARSOC-ICQB 1911

A request (as far as I understand) went out to the public sector for a weapon to be offered that could be "open purchased" via PR&C that met with the specifications and requirements of the Marine Corps Special Operations Command Detachment 1. Kimber responded with the MARSOC 1911. The MARSOC 1911 was delivered and adopted by DET 1 as the Interim CQB Pistol and configured as such:

Kimber Series I Custom Classic 5" Gov.
Kimber factory barrel & bushing with loaded chamber indicator
Kimber factory standard length guide rod
Kimber factory ambi safety
Kimber factory hammer, disconnector & sear
Ed Brown Hardcore grip safety with memory bump
Smith & Alexander Main Spring Housing with Lanyard Ring
Kimber factory slide stop
Simonich Gunner Grips (Coyote Brown)
Novak Night Sights (front & rear)
Dawson Rail

The pistol is issued with seven Wilson magazines.

I honestly feel that the MARSOC configuration is about as good as it gets for and combat/carry pistol. The weapon possess everything I ever thought I would need except the changes I made for my own personal needs. I also think that an integrated light rail is a must for a practical combat pistol but it does not suit my needs at this time.

DFM

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you dont mind me asking, how much did everything cost you to do it other than the gun. I have a Custom2 i would like to do. I think i can put the parts in myself so i was just wondering about the cost. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Nice looking project. Doesn't the S&A beavertail position the hand a little lower than the Kimber saftey? And if so did you have to file on the safety to get it to match up with the tangs? I've been thinking of getting one for my Kimber and wondered how it fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys I'm a shooter not armorer so I happily passed that duty over to Gene Williams, who specializes in 1911s in Princeton, TX. Gene did all of the work and all the parts can be had out of the Brownells catalog except the S&A stuff. So depending on if you have an FFL or tax ID, your pricing millage may vary.

Hansgraf, I looked first at keeping the Kimber factory grip safety vs an Ed Brown Hardcore vs the Smith & Alexander and I didn't like the Kimber factory grip safety AT ALL. The Ed Brown looked pretty good except it was rather skinny and I have a great deal of webbing between my thumb and index finger. I get a good case of "Glock Bite" just about every time I shoot a Glock. The Ed Brown grip safety would have also required Gene to remove a significant amount of material from the frame in order to fit it correctly. The Smith & Alexander was much wider and Gene did not have to remove that much material from the frame to fit it. S&A is local to the Dallas, TX area and I try to support the home town guys before anyone else and the memory bump fit in my hand perfectly.

The "memory bump" felt just about right and seemed to work better than the Ed Brown Hardcore variant. I don't think the S&A grip safety puts the weapon any "higher" in the hand than the Kimber factory variant. I do know that the Ed Brown safety will really allow you to get a "high grip" on the weapon, but once again I would have run into the hand webbing issue.

I just finished putting 200 rounds of factory Remington UMC 230 Gr. target ball through the weapon and I had one stoppage in 200 rounds. This weapon loves to rip through the steel poppers! Boy a nicely tuned Kimber will run like a raped ape! Man I really look forward to a training cycle with Jeff Gonzales next month.

BTW, the Simonich Gunner grips do require a little "toughness" in the hand or some simple wet sanding with 220 grit sandpaper. These grips will eat your hands alive! On the flip side of that, they stick like glue and I saw no real need for front strap checkering when using these stocks. So if your hands sweat like a pig, these are definitely the stocks for you.

DFM

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Va_Dinger said:
Just one mistake that I see with your specs for the ICQB. It is fitted with a standard length guide rod, not the factory Kimber full length.
Yea, that has been changed since a few weeks after I had made that post. Thanks for the due dilligence.

BKR

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is my specification. I also rebuild my Custom II

Kimber Series II Custom Classic 5" Gov.
Kimber full length guide rod
Kimber factory barrel & bushing
Thumb safety Cylinder & Slide
Cylinder & Slide Hammer, Disconnector & Sear(CS202 - Tactical II Chamfered Commander Hammer,CS206 - 1911 Extreme Duty Sear, CS012 - Ultra Match Disconnector
Original Kimber Grip
Smith & Alexander Checkered Flat Mainspring Housing with magwell
Wilson BP Slide Stop (810-HC Blue)
Wilson BP extractor
Ed Brown Auto rebuild kit-pins
Trigger Videky V 15 long

next I am going to replace :
original grips by Esmeralda
Ed Brown mag catch
EGW firing pin stop
strut CaS

finish - poly lacquer.