1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I went to the Fort Wayne, IN gun show this weekend. I brought along my first gen glock and was hoping to sell it. I didnt expect to get much for it, i was going to use the money for the purchase of a Springfield GI.

As luck would have it, i found a private person selling a vast quantity of firearms. Amongst his collection, i found a Springfield Mil Spec. The one with the lowered ejection port and 3dot sights. He wanted $475 for it. He saw my glock and asked what i wanted for it, i said i would like to use it for a trade. He gave me a straight up full trade for my glock, and gave me his Springfeild mil spec. I know its not new, but its barely used. When i picked it up, it had never been fired. Im not sure what finish it was, but while i was learning to disasemble and reasemble it at home, i managed to put some scratches in the finish near the slide stop.

I have run about 65 rounds of hardball through it so far, with no problems currently to report. I have about 460 more rounds to fire before its broken in.
Having not fired a .45 in a long time, this was a learning experiance. The gun is a far cry from my glock 17. I learned that, i need to slow down my rate of fire inorder to maintain accuracy, tho i think with more practice i can speed back up. I learned that one handed shooting is also alot more difficult. When i fired in my right hand, the barrel jumped up and to the right.I think i may need to work on my one handed grip.

I will post pics later, i havnt figured it out yet, and i am kinda busy. Any advice is apreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Congrats on the new Mil Spec, and have fun learning the gun. It`s been a long time since I`ve shot a Glock (15 yrs), so I can`t remember enough to compare. But...you`re shooting .45 now and there is a real difference between that and 9mm (assuming that`s what your Glock was). The rest will come with time and experience. That`s what makes it fun!! I had an easy adjustment to the 1911 in .45 (except for the feel of it), recoil wise and one handed shooting since my primary weapon before the 1911 was a .44 mag. Anyway, welcome to the family and enjoy your new toy!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Congrats on finding anything of value at that show. I was there yesterday. The show has really declined of late. I couldn't find anything that struck my fancy, but then I didn't see that guy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got there yestarday really early. He was middle isle near the door. I was just walking by and saw the springfield and which model it was and i was like,OH **** id better get that before it disapears. Tho i do feel guilty, im the only one that got a good deal. The gun i traded for was worth more then my glock.:dope:

Definatly going from 9mm from .45 is a odd thing. I know alot of people here dont like them, but i may have to put on a extended slide stop. I cant reach it at all. Tho, I have alot more things i need to install to get it up to were i want it. Down the road, i plan on installing a beaver tail safety with memory bump(if i can find one) and basicly all new hammer,sear,and all other internal componentry from ed brown.

I only had about 70 rounds of .45 on hand, so i need to get a few hundred more to finish break in. I gotta relearn on handed shooting all over. Tho, i dont find the .45 to be as punishing as i thought it would be. Im afraid to try it off hand tho, I was horrid with my glock off hand, let alone this...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts