1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I sold a few of my guns that I rarely ever shoot to pay for this one. I wanted a quality, reliable 1911 with a rail, between $1500-1800 dollars. Had a few options but went with the Springfield TRP Operator. Just picked it up so no range time yet but I plan on shooting the hell out of this one.

My only other 1911, at least for now, my Sig Emperor Scorpion 1911 Fastback...say that 5 times fast :)

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Can't wait to see what you think of it after you get some range time behind
the trigger .

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
Looks nice. You'll enjoy her that's for sure. The checkering takes a little bit to get use to no doubt about it. However, you'll come to love it, at least I did anyways and real fast to. I like how it grips you, that pistol is coming along for the ride no matter what. Lol.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks nice. You'll enjoy her that's for sure. The checkering takes a little bit to get use to no doubt about it. However, you'll come to love it, at least I did anyways and real fast to. I like how it grips you, that pistol is coming along for the ride no matter what. Lol.
Yeah, it feels like my Sig Scorpion and after some time shooting, it's rough on the hands for sure. Actually, the TRP feels a bit rougher!!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice. I sent my Loaded in to the custom shop for 20lpi front strap checkering and was worried about the feedback but I really like the aggressive checkering. I've lifted weights since I was a teenager so I have thick skinned hands, I can shoot it all day with no problem. Hope you enjoy it, looks sweet.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice. I sent my Loaded in to the custom shop for 20lpi front strap checkering and was worried about the feedback but I really like the aggressive checkering. I've lifted weights since I was a teenager so I have thick skinned hands, I can shoot it all day with no problem. Hope you enjoy it, looks sweet.
Not sure how much a difference that makes lol I too have lifted weights for years, as well, callus all over but my hands hurt. I'm told it's a medical thing in which the nerves in my hands connect right to my vagina :) I'll deal with it!

·
Registered
744 Posts
trp op

Prior to the trp. I had about 11 different 1911s.. I sold all of them and bought reloading components to feed the trp op. And I don't regret it one minute. .

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
Not sure how much a difference that makes lol I too have lifted weights for years, as well, callus all over but my hands hurt. I'm told it's a medical thing in which the nerves in my hands connect right to my vagina :) I'll deal with it!

This is one of the things I love about this site . To hear about the adversity that
people have to over come to enjoy the shooting sports .:)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got my Dawson tool-less recoil assembly today, put that in, made it so much easier to take apart. Love it. Finally, hit the range, shot all the ammo in the pic above:

I used a variety of magazines, Sig mag, Cobra mags, a Kim Pro mag, Wilson Combat, etc...just to test them out.

So it looks like it was around 450 rounds, various types and I had exactly 5 failures. Three of those were ammo, the first three rounds of the Blazer Brass 230gr FMJ would not function, the bullet basically set back into the case when I tried to chamber the round. After the first three in the box, they all functioned fine.

I think the other two issues were magazine related, pretty sure both were with the Kim Pro mag, I should have marked it down the first time it happened but I didn't. The second time, it was the Kim Pro and was the same failure, on the second to last round, it had a FTE with the next round FTF. It happened with the TacBarnes and then an HST round...I'm almost positive is was the Kim Pro on the first failure as well, it is the shiniest of all my mags and that's what I recall. But other than those 5 rounds, the other 445 ran like a champ.

I have another 300 rounds for the break in as of now, 200 are FMJ and 100 JHP to run through it. My favorite ammo for home defense will be Gold 200gr +p, the few I shot shot today were very accurate, just seem to run well when I use them in my 45's. The rest of the gun was solid, great trigger, rough texture but top notch. A really good gun....as long as issues don't arise. I will say, I did very similar break in with my Sig Emperor Scorpion 1911 Fastback and other than the Springfield mags, it has had no issues in 1000 rounds.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it's worth I chose the TRP after bad luck with two colts and two limbers, all had out of the box issues, rgrdlss of break in. The TRP was my Duty Gun for the last five years, it was always reliable and I ran every type of ammo and every variation of magazine I could find to try to get it to ,malfunction, I failed.

Hands down I think you bought the best of the best, and I've shot friends higher priced 11's in the 2000-4000 range, but still think the Operator came out on top. Great choice, have fun.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sweet setup! My TRP is going to be in today, can't wait to get my hands on it. I really like the grips on yours, where did you get them?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice. I also purchased one. I couldn't just let it along. Just dropped it off at the shop to get the sights swapped. I guess they had to file the Harrison 1 piece a little bit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts