1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Just had to tell you guys I just got back from the range after shooting my new parkerized MillSpec for the first time. I put 100 rounds through it and I couldn't be more pleased. Holding the pistol with 2 hands, and with my elbows on the bench, I was getting bulls eyes and groups of 2 to 4 inches at 20 yards. Several groups had 2 or 3 shots touching in less than an inch. I never expected that the accuracy would be so great. Right now, it shoots better than I do. I'm still learning how to control my shots.

BTW, the web area of my right hand between thumb and first finger really hurts. Am I holding the pistol wrong, or do I need a differently shaped beaver tail safety?

Anyway, I think I made the right choice. I paid $479.00 for the gun at a recent gun show in my area. I'm going to wait quite some time before I start to upgrade any parts so I can become very familiar with the gun.

Waaho,

Dave.

·
Banned
922 Posts
GunStudent said:
. . . . . the web area of my right hand between thumb and first finger really hurts. Am I holding the pistol wrong, or do I need a differently shaped beaver tail safety?
Congrats on getting a good one. Just curious, is it an NM serial number, or just an N number?

As for your hand, are you holding the gun with your thumb under or on top of the thumb safety when you shoot? The original design such as the Milspec/GI was meant to be fired with your thumb under the safety, wrapped around the grip. A few years ago it became popular among competition shooters (which spread to amateurs) to shoot with the thumb on top of the safety to add a bit of leverage to help control muzzle rise. Holding the thumb on top of the safety often resulted in the web of the hand being pinched between the hammer and the tang - the famous hammer bite. Thus, the beavertail grip safety was born.

Hold the gun with your thumb below the thumb safety and you should be okay, unless your hands are particularly large or beefy. If you're already holding the gun this way and you're just getting a bit sore then you may just need to build up a bit of muscle in the web area. If you're actually getting bitten by the hammer then you probably need to go to a beavertail grip safety.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just an N number. Is that significant?

I was keeping my thumb below the safety and I have large beefy hands. Guess I should start looking for a more comfortable beavertail safety.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ditto

My SS mil-spec also shoots to point of aim. My only complaint is that it often jams at the next to last round. I've tried different mags (including Wilson Combat) and ammo, to no avail. I've got about 500 rounds through it, so it's beyond the normal break-in period. I paid $550 for it here (Maryland), higher than it would have cost me in some other states, based on what I've learned here. It's the gun I'd carry with confidence (I can always clear those jams), if only this state allowed concealed carry. It doesn't and won't. But that's another topic for another time.

·
Premium Member
9,656 Posts
Dave

GunStudent said:
It's just an N number. Is that significant?
The N prefix Mil-Specs are made in Brazil, where as the NM prefix Mil-Specs are finished in the US from Brazilian forgings. There are many who believe the US finished ones are better. Mine is a Brazilian, with mods, but the barrel (two piece even) is original. The thing is more accurate than I am. A Smith & Alexander .220 radius beavertail is what you're looking for. It will need to be fitted and you'll either have to bob the hammer or get a spur style.

Robert

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thearmedrebel said:
The N prefix Mil-Specs are made in Brazil, where as the NM prefix Mil-Specs are finished in the US from Brazilian forgings. There are many who believe the US finished ones are better. Mine is a Brazilian, with mods, but the barrel (two piece even) is original. The thing is more accurate than I am. A Smith & Alexander .220 radius beavertail is what you're looking for. It will need to be fitted and you'll either have to bob the hammer or get a spur style.

Robert

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the info. I guess I lucked out with my pistol since it seems to be put together just right. But, my next one will be a US only pistol. I'll put that bevertail on my wish list.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just picked up a lightly used NM Mil-Spec and had the same problem of the grip safety gnawing on the web of my shooting hand. What I did was lightly break the edge on the lower corner of the safety and followed up with some 320 grit to smooth. An application of cold blue and that was it and it made all the difference...no more " bite marks" on my hand and the price was right.

Might want to try that first...worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts