1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I feel sooooo damn happy to have bought this 1911. I feel like I rescued a dog from the pound. It was nice looking on the outside, but when I sat down with a book on how to totally disassemble it, I found it had been neglected. There was a fine film of rust on most of the internals. I cleaned EVERYTHING, lubed it all up really good, and managed to put it back together right! My first time ever messign with a 1911 and the gun still works!

So here are some cell phone pics of my new baby:

I think I did ok for $529.00!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Nice looking Springfield. I think I saw this on the other forum. Could you tell, when you tore it apart, if the hammer and sear have been replaced? I am thinking so because those are not standard mil-spec. The trigger looks like a Chip McCormick, I always like the look of their triggers.

How does the pistol shoot?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
XLT --

Get that pupply outdoors and photograph it in sunlight. You'll bring out all the detail we want to see. Look like a couple hours of labor earned you a great pistol!

-- Chuck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I have is a camera phone to take pictures with. :( Once my roommate comes around though, i'll borrow his camers.

Gonna go to the agency range on Monday and throw around a little lead with it. I'll post a range report. I am also hoping to get issued some of their .45 JHP ammo! This will be an off-duty gun.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Nice! Looks like the GI with some upgrades like trigger, hammer, grips and Novak sights-Ya done good.:rock:

·
Registered
226 Posts
The sights alone are a decent upgrade. I'd throw in a hammer/sear/disconnector package and a beavertail grip safety and call it a day. If that factory grip safety is anything like the one on my springer than you'll have two small cuts in the web of your thumb after about 100 rounds. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
What is the book you used?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The grip safety is gonna go as soon as I can afford to get teh gun worked on right.

The plans are:
Mainspring housing with magwell
mainspring housing and front strpped checkered to match
beavertail grip safety
slide done in NP3
reciever done in black duracoat.

The book is :
The Gun Digest Book of Firearms Assembly/Disassembly Part 1: Automatic Pistols 2nd Eddition

·
Registered
112 Posts
The contrast of that trigger looks great against the rest of the shooter. Looks really good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts