1911Forum banner

my new (used) orm 1991 pic

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Shmackey 
#1 ·
nothing pretty to look at but its a great shooter!

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I like the looks of it too. All I'd change is the trigger. The more time goes by, the more I think the ORM looks pretty cool... sort of a mil-utilitarian look. That's a cool looking Colt.

#11 ·
Wow Rick... that baby's a real looker! I've got a high polish stainless myself and sure enjoy having it. Mine is earlier than the ORM, though... I guess it could be called an older old rollmark OORM (but not really old - BNRO - as it's a series 80) :biglaugh: ... it looks like this with the top line in big cap letters and the lower line in very small lettering:

COLT MK IV
Series 80

#12 ·
Out of the box the ORM stainless guns were IMO just plain horrible. Besides the cheesy

M1991A1
STAINLESS

..... rollmark on the slide, the sandblasting on the slide and frame was so coarse the things looked like they were made of caked-together sand, not steel. However, I did see a few that were lightly glass bead-blasted by gunsmiths that looked a LOT better.

#13 ·
dsk said:
Out of the box the ORM stainless guns were IMO just plain horrible. Besides the cheesy

M1991A1
STAINLESS

..... rollmark on the slide, the sandblasting on the slide and frame was so coarse the things looked like they were made of caked-together sand, not steel. However, I did see a few that were lightly glass bead-blasted by gunsmiths that looked a LOT better.
:biglaugh: I was once asked if my Stainless ORM was real or a toy :biglaugh: .

#14 · (Edited)
I agree somewhat with dsk..

I wanted a stainless 1911 to carry when I'm on my sportboat, but the longer I looked at the horrible bead blasted finish on the slide, the more it looked like a rough finished raw metal slide that never completed the manufacturing process. I guess some don't mind that raw look, but I had a desire to refine my stainless 1911's to a more classy look. But I sure liked the price of the ORM Stainless.

Thanks DHart for the compliment, That pistol is so beautiful, it's just a pleasure to hold and shoot. I thought about selling it once.... for about 2 seconds, then that "thought" passed away.

#16 ·
SFC Rick,

Beautiful weapon, man!

#17 ·
I once had an ORM stainless 1991, and I tried to polish the flats using a block and sandpaper. Despite sanding down to where the markings were really shallow I never could get down past the heavy sandblasting. I hear some gunsmiths have had better results, but I think the ones they worked one weren't blasted as coarsely as the one I had.

#18 ·
I love the ORM 91 blue...IMO it's the best all around heavy use, reliable, holster to death, don't have to worry about, throw under the truck or glove box pistol I've ever owned. I'll buy and sell guns here and there, but I'll never get rid of my ORM. Good choice.:cool:

Jim

#19 ·
Loren... I don't think you give it enough credit... I think it sure is pretty to look at...and a fine tool as well. And you're right, it's good to have a nice piece you can knock around a bit and not be worried about scratches or dings. Typically I would think of a Glock for that kind of duty, but your ORM can do it with far more class and style. Not a gun you have to baby, but still a beauty in its own right, probably even more so when it's showing some wear and tear!

#20 ·
I can't stand the coarse finish on the old stainless models. Unfortunately, the rounds on the new stainless models still have a little way to go. Maybe it's just because I remember the coarse ORMs, but I can't warm up to the current stainless Colts until they put some finer media in their blaster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.