1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My UTC arrived at my range today. Got the transfer going in the range pro shop... the guy behind the counter says, "That thing is awfully tight, too tight if you ask me." I giggled a little to myself and just said, "Yea, that's how they make 'em." :rolleyes:

Got the paperwork all done and off to one of the bays I went. First impressions of the gun were great. I'm always a little nervous buying a gun sight unseen but this thing is just gorgeous. Feels great in the hand, great trigger, nice positive safety, just niiiiiiiiice overall.

Over the course of the afternoon I put 500 rounds of Speer Lawman 230gr FMJ through it. I also put 8 rounds of Speer GoldDot 230gr just to make sure there were no hiccups there (only had one mag of that ammo with me, will shoot some more before I carry it). So, 508 rounds total and no stoppages at all. It definitely broke in a little and is easier to "break open", but still pops back at first. All three Baer mags and the two Wilson 47D's I already had ran fine with the gun. The Baers baseplates do line up a little cleaner aesthetically I noticed.

I used to have a Springfield "loaded" and just recently sold a Dan Wesson VBOB. I feel comfortable saying this is my favorite 1911 yet. I don't see this one going anywhere... VERY pleased! :rock:

Some post shooting dirty pics:

Then all cleaned up:

The only peculiar thing I did have was the tritium insert in the front sight backing out. When I noticed it initially it had backed out about 1/8" or so. I pushed it back in and didn't have it come back out during the last 100 or so rounds. I'll keep an eye on it as I shoot it next time... maybe throw some red loctite or something on if it happens again? I sure don't want to send it back to Baer for that...

Pic of the front sight insert backing out:

·
Registered
6,215 Posts
Nice pics of a dirty sloppy gun. Glad she ran good for you.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
Looks like you're off to a flying start with a great pistol.

I recommend cleaning the front site and vial with rubbing alcohol and then hitting the tritium vial with Super Glue.

Sorry about the poor fella behind the counter.

·
Banned
390 Posts
Great pictures and a nice break in session. The Baer UTC is a good gun mine has run great since I've bought it, and the guy that did my transfer told me it was way to tight to run reliably I laughed to my self also as he tried to explain it to me. Enjoy it and run a few thousand rnds. down it and send it to Rob at Alchemy Customs and let him work his magic on it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Great pictures and a nice break in session. The Baer UTC is a good gun mine has run great since I've bought it, and the guy that did my transfer told me it was way to tight to run reliably I laughed to my self also as he tried to explain it to me. Enjoy it and run a few thousand rnds. down it and send it to Rob at Alchemy Customs and let him work his magic on it.
That is actually exactly what I plan to do! Going to run it for many thousands of rounds, a few years maybe, and just really enjoy it. Then off to Alchemy at some point for:

Carry cut / ball cut front of slide
Flatten and serrate top of slide
Serrate rear of slide
Install Heinie ledge straight 8 rear sight
High cut trigger guard
Install Ed Brown thumb safety (I'm really not fond of the Baer part... the contour and point that it comes to is rather uncomfortable when engaging the safety)
Install Greider slide stop
Install checkered mag catch of some sort
Flush / bevel end of barrel
Re-blue

I also typically like VZ grips and am debating putting some on it... but those factory rosewoods sure do look purty! As I was fondling it last night my wife looks over and says, "That really is a pretty gun." *pause* "I can't believe I just said that, but it is really pretty." :D

A couple more dirty pics:

·
Registered
675 Posts
Beautiful beautiful pistol. It will serve you well forany years and thousands of rounds. Great first session too! Love the pictures. I agree, it is pretty... But it is much prettier when dirty! Nice write-up, as well. I look forward to seeing your posts in the future!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome gun brother. I would have said "I didn't ask you" to the gun counter fool. So many of those idiots have no idea what the hell they are talking about let alone afford one of these beauties. I can't stand gun stores. Great Gun!
Jason

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is that a ft sight screaming to have a gold dot put in place or what
:hrm:

No!!! I like my night sight. :D

I got it to come back out a little by whacking the rear of the slide with a rubber mallet. Cleaned off the little silver tube with rubbing alcohol, then applied a wee bit of red loctite. Pushed it back in flush and it appears as good as new. We'll see if it holds!

Pic:

And a couple more for good measure!

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Nice pistola! Nice background for that pistola. With you on night sights and especially the Heinie Straight 8 Ledge. Well done.

Rick

·
Banned
134 Posts
ok, I beat on the rear , then I beat on the front ,turned around 3 times ,yell'ed BAM still no gold dot ??? where's my air chisel .

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
58 more rounds through it last night and the front sight insert held in just fine. I'm considering that issue resolved at this point.

The cast mag catch and slide stop have been bothering me something fierce. I know they're probably just fine functionally, but the cheap appearance (obvious casting line on mag catch button, obviously cast "checkering" on the slide stop) just bug me. On a just under $2K pistol I wish it would have come with forged / machined small parts...

That said I ordered:
-Ed Brown blued "hardcore" slide stop. I happen to like the ledge design better anyway, similar to what I had on my Dan Wesson VBOB.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/slide-catch-parts/slide-catches/ed-brown-1911-hardcore-slide-stop-ed-brown-1911-hardcore-slide-stop-blued-sku087-000-072-55419-114775.aspx
-Wilson Combat "bulletproof" mag release. I also like this piece better as it is checkered and not serrated. To me that matches up better with the Baer checkered front strap and MSH.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/magazine-release-parts/magazine-releases/1911-auto-bullet-proof-reg-magazine-release-bullet-proof-mag-release-blued-sku965-000-059-27053-53122.aspx
-Wilson Combat "bulletproof" stainless flat recoil spring plug. Purely for aesthetics... the checkering on the Baer plug is already getting marred pretty good and finish is wearing off. I think the stainless flat plug will give a much more seamless appearance.
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...l-spring-plug-sku965-000-105-40131-62263.aspx

I did notice both the slide stop and mag catch have the last 3 of my serial number on them. That would indicate to me some level of hand fitting for each... The mag catch I don't have any concern over installing. The slide stop however I am a little more concerned with just because it seems like it could affect accuracy and function more. The "factory" Baer pin measures .199" whereas the new Brown stop is supposed to be a .200" pin. Any guesses on if that will need fitted or wear in just fine? My plan at this point is to install it, check for function by hand, and if everything seems fine go ahead and shoot it and see how it wears in....

Shortly I will also be ordering a Harrison Design trigger as I prefer the solid / smooth shoe with no overtravel hole, as well as an EGW HD thumb safety... the Baer safety digs my thumb on re-engagement and is another cast part I'd like to get rid of (I think?). Those parts I am having fit by a somewhat local smith who has a good established reputation for 1911 work. In a few years I still plan to send it off to Alchemy to have some slide machine work done, refinish, etc.

... thoughts!? :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts