1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new Warrior needs to be oiled-Where???

Dose anyone have a picture diagram of where to oil & grease a new Warrior before you fire it? Instruction booklet is to small for me to read. I'm a new Kimber owner and don't want to start off wrong with such a fine shoot'in iron. Any other comments would help. Thanks. 1der

·
Registered
704 Posts
**edit**

Follow Kimber's specs. I'm not going to get into a pissin' match over where, with what, why, and how to lube a 1911.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LaMat: Thanks for the reply. My problem is knowing the names of parts and where they are located. Guess that's part of the fun of owning a new pistol. I want to get to know this handgun REAL good(almost like my wife). Can you direct me to some info on detailed take down of my Warrior? I supose that info is somewhere in the 1911 forum but haven't looked to hard yet. Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
81 Posts
barrel hood oiling

Thanks for the detailed advice LeMat.
Can you explain what area is referred to as the "Barrel Hood" for the purpose of oiling? I am assuming that it's the part of the barrel that meets up with the breech face. Is it the outside of this area on the barrel that gets oiled, as opposed to the inside (which I think would be the top of the chamber)? And how much of the "hood" area gets oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
1ders said:
LaMat: Thanks for the reply. My problem is knowing the names of parts and where they are located. Guess that's part of the fun of owning a new pistol. I want to get to know this handgun REAL good(almost like my wife). Can you direct me to some info on detailed take down of my Warrior? I supose that info is somewhere in the 1911 forum but haven't looked to hard yet. Again thanks for the help.
I would imagine that there is a vast amount of information in this forum as far as detailed descriptions regarding disassembly. If you search using "disassembly" and "Kimber" I'd bet you'd have pages of stuff to read through. ;)

Here's one for example:
Planning to do first ever detail strip - looking for pointers.

·
Registered
704 Posts
gibby9 said:
Thanks for the detailed advice LeMat.
Can you explain what area is referred to as the "Barrel Hood" for the purpose of oiling? I am assuming that it's the part of the barrel that meets up with the breech face. Is it the outside of this area on the barrel that gets oiled, as opposed to the inside (which I think would be the top of the chamber)? And how much of the "hood" area gets oil? Thanks.
You are correct. The hood is essentially the exposed outside portion of the chamber that you see when looking at the ejection port.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
I don't ever use grease on any tool or weapon unless it's specidied in the operator's manual. Grease isn't mentioned in any M1911 manual I've had access to.

Grease adds friction and slows moving parts. I can induce stoppages in some pistols merely by using grease where oil or CLP is specified.

Proper maintenance of weapons is too important to make it up as you go along.

Skip the grease and lubricate the pistol to Kimber's specs. They're poorly written. Too little is not better than too much.

-- chuck

·
Registered
79 Posts
The manual specifically says do not use grease.

They want you to use Shooter's Choice FP-10 or similar.

They suggest:

a. Slide and frame rails - do not over oil
b. Disconnector atop frams - Small drop
c. Barrel Hood - two drops, spread on hood
d. Barrel locking ligs inside slide and on barrel - one drop on each lug
e. Barrel link - one drop behind link
f. Slide stop pin - one drop, spread with finger
g. Outside of barrel - do not over oil, spread with fingertip
h. Cock hammer - one drop between the hammer and frame
i. Assemble gun, rack slide 5-6 times, dry fire, wipe off excess oil from gun.
j. Make sure if you have stored the gun with oil in the barrel or chamber you run a patch through the barrel to clear it before you fire the gun.

(Full-size owner's manual, pp 28-29)

Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts