1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only post this for the education of others and not to put down Wilson.
I bought my first Wilson and my first nice 1911. It is a TCP. It does not work. My faith is shaken in the 1911 platform as well as the nice 1911 companies. I mean, if I pay over $1000 for a custom production gun, ***dammit it should at least work out of the box! If Wilson can't get the 1911 right for over $1000 then who can? I really thought that if I dumped big bucks into getting a high end 1911, that it would work great. The whole point of getting a high end 1911 is that you don't have to fiddle with it to get it to work.

Strangely, of all the guns I have ever owned, I have NEVER had one that did not work out of the box. Even my crappy $250 KelTec works out of the box. This Wilson is one of the most expensive guns I have ever bought, and it is the only gun of mine that has had to go back to the factory!

The hammer does not stay back when the gun is cycled. You would think that this type of thing would be noticed at the shop before it went out. All you have to do is cycle the slide and watch the hammer fall as the slide goes forward, to see that there is something wrong. How could they let this get out of the shop?

To Wilson's credit, I spoke to Ty and he told me that this is a rare thing, and I am shipping it in to them. They claim that they will get it back to me within a few days. And they will reimburse me for the substantial shipping costs. I hope that they give it a real good "going over" and it comes back better than ever from a personal gunsmithing touch.
I will report back when I get it back and let everyone know if they got it running nice.

I am not really that bent about the whole thing, I am just shocked. I mean, no wonder people like Glocks. Somehow Glock can put out an excellent reliable gun out of the box for a little over $400 (I have owned a few DOZEN Glocks and every one has been perfect out of the box), but a custom company can't even get a 1911 running right after putting over $1000 worth of work in it!? I don't get it? Anyway, like I said, I am not upset....yet (I will be upset if it does not come back running great)...but I am just disturbed that a company can charge that kind of money nad not even put out an item that works out of the box.

Steve Cornell

[This message has been edited by scorn (edited 05-11-2001).]

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hey, atleast they remembered to build yours!

Seriously though I hope that they take care of you on this one. I just keep getting the same story when I call Wilson about my gun. "Another couple of months"

·
Registered
696 Posts
At one time I lusted for a Wilson.After reading the posts on this site,I've changed My mind.Sure glad I bought My Springfield.tom.

------------------
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
45 Posts
Fwiw and just as a point of reference, I've had to send back production guns from almost all the various maker that I've purchased, for various problems, ranging from minor problems to serious feeding/reliability problems: a couple of Glocks, HK USP, Colts, Springfield Amory, Para Ord, Beretta.

I figure it's par for the course these days and I don't trust anything straight out of the box until fully function tested.

The big differentiator is how fast a company fixes the problem. Glock is great: fast turnaround time, no hassles. Most others resolved problems with varying turnaround times. Some required several trips back and forth before the problem was eventually corrected (HK)...

I'm sure Wilson will fix your problem asap as their customer service is known to be one of the best in the business...

·
Registered
869 Posts
If Bill does read this site, your unreliable KZ cost you a higher dollar purchase. Bought myself a Kimber and Colt instead. You will be getting yours shipped back in the future.

·
Registered
721 Posts
[This message has been edited by msmith (edited 05-12-2001).]

·
Registered
721 Posts
If they cleaned your gun after test firing it, someone may have inadvertantly gotten the disconnect spring between the disconnect and trigger. If this happens, the hammer will not stay back if you cycle the slide or cock it. I have done this a few times. No big deal, just remove and reinstall the spring correctly.

------------------
Mike,
Mike's Sport Shop
http://www.rcvideo.com/users/msmith

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The hammer stays back if I cock it manually. There is a problem with the fitting of the parts where the lockup of the sear is just a few micrometers off in accordance with how far the hammer should go back before it engages. I figure it is an attempted "trigger job" that was not completed properly. Knowing the insides of a 1911 (but not knowing the names of the parts intimately), I can picture that likely the sear hooks (?) are too long or the slot on the hammer is off, to where the hammer needs to be pulled back extra far for the hammer to cock. So, the hammer won't stay back when I cycle the gun, only if I cock it way back with my thumb. In point, the parts are not fitted properly, it is a HUGE error to let a gun go out the door that won't even cock when cycled. How can something like that go out? Didn't someone at least hand cycle the gun before it went out to see that the hammer falls when the slide goes forward?
Oh well, I don't want to drag this through the dirt, I am just looking forward to them making it right, and I am hoping that they really go over the gun completely and send me back a really nice performing piece.
I have lost a little faith in this gun, and kinda wish they would trade it back for something else like a Millenium or CQB or something. I seem to see a lot of posts about the TCP having errors, and might wish that I had gotten one of their other models. What are the odds of them taking it back toward something else?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts