Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK first of all, please don't flame me for this post:

I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable with the idea of carrying in condition one. As scarey as it looked to me in the past, now that I fully understand how a 1911 functions I'm OK with it. I also like the "power" of condition one...if I was attacked my an armed assailant, condition one with a 1911 gives me a better chance of survival than any other condition with any other handgun. But I do have one last hang up with it:

At the end of the day, I come home, go to my bedroom (which is really my base of operations for pretty much everything) and prepare to safe my weapon (I don't really carry that much, but let's assume it's a day that I did). OK, drop out the magazine, put it in the gunvault. Now time to clear the chamber. Safety off. STOP. OK, now I have a hot weapon, in my house. It's pointing either down (which is my living room) or forward (my neighbor's house somewhere in the distance). This is what I have a problem with. Has this been say my Beretta 92FS, I would have left the safety ON and cleared the chamber. The firing mechanism could be completely disconnected while I cleared the chamber, which seems a lot safer.

OK so obviously you could say "just make damn sure you don't squeeze the trigger, dummy". Or I could point it straight up and the only thing downrange is my roof. I could try to rack the slide without touching the beavertail...not very natural though. But seriously, is anyone else the slightest bit uneasy about the fact that the only way to clear the chamber it to take the safety off and have a hot weapon in your hand? I'm sure I'll get used to it, but perhaps some of you graybeards have some words of wisdom for me in regards to this. Thanks for any constructive replies!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Same thought has crossed my mind, many times, And I hope it continues to cross my mind, everytime I safe my weapon. I just make sure I clear my weapon and stay away from the trigger.

I have a friend that puts something between the hammer and FP each time he clears his weapon in the house. Not sure what his set-up is, cardboard or something like that I believe, but I just drop the mag, click the safety and rack the slide, pointing firearm in a safe direction (my gun safe :confused: )

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That's a resonable concern, but I would have to ask, where/when did you chamber that round in the first place? If this location is your operation base I would assume you chambered a round there. I'd be more concerned of an AD or ND while chambering a round and holstering than unholstering and clearing.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK right, I forgot to mention the fact that it's of equal concern when champering a round. But, same discussion would result.

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Ask the Glock guys what they do.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uh...OK but...what does this have to do with the Glock guys? Yea they have the same problem but...not sure how that helps me (?)

·
Registered
413 Posts
Find something bullet resistant to point it at while you load/unload. Your gunvault? Ever seen a tube TV that's been shot by a handgun - they are suprisingly bullet resistant. Any oak furniture in your room? Box of books? Or do it in a ground-floor room, if you have one, then carry it up to your bedroom.

Or remove the holster with the gun still in it and put the gun and holster in the safe. No need to unload the gun every day. For daily carry, that's what I recommend.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Dont press the grip safety...

·
Administrator
73,831 Posts
Uh...OK but...what does this have to do with the Glock guys? Yea they have the same problem but...not sure how that helps me (?)
What it means is... its not just an issue with 1911's, but with a large percentage of defense handguns out there. The key is to simply keep the booger hook off the bang switch, and keep it pointed in a safe direction.

Having said that, I do like Beretta 92FS pistols as home defense handguns for this very reason. Extremely easy to load the chamber (even directly into the pipe if you so please), and the action can be cycled with the safety left ON. The large size of the 92FS is no problem for home or shop defense, and in fact might add a slight deterrent factor as well. And of course, for those who are paranoid about Berettas in sandy environments you shouldn't have to worry about that either, unless your home is a spider hole somewhere near Tikrit.

·
Registered
374 Posts
1. Go buy one of those new fangled ballistic gun cases, they are made of kevlar and 'impact resistant' they have a bullseye on them

2. How about a small vault with a fingered-in key code? Keep it in the holster you wear and put the hot weapon in the vault still holstered.

3. By chambering and un-chambering the same first round your round every carry session you are 'possibly' opening yourself up to case setback. A condition where by multiple chamberings shorten the overall case lenght and may make the 1st round higher pressure than needed.

4. I also like the "power" of condition one...if I was attacked my an armed assailant, condition one with a 1911 gives me a better chance of survival than any other condition with any other handgun
Fine motorskills degenerate under high stress, where you 'may' have a problem thumbing off your safety, or let's say you can't get a 100% grip on a 1911 and maybe grip it wrong so the grip safety doesn't engage OR you miss the thumb safety....I would argue that any handgun without these extra steps will be more likely to give you full 100% reliability.... (but that's just me!)

5. If you like 45s may I suggest a SW MP 45? It, like the 92FS can rack the slide with the safety on.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
If you are putting it in a safe and locking it up, Why are you clearing the weapon? With the safety on (both the gun and your head---meaning keep your finger off the trigger),what are your chances of a ND or AD? I have a GunVault, and that's what it is for. To lock up my loaded, chambered and safetyied (sp?) weapon for storage. No more prob loading or unloading in your "safe area".

My home defense gun lives in the Gunvault. All my other guns live in the locked gun safe---- loaded and ready for carry. When I need any of them, I open/unlock the safe, reach in and pick up whichever weapon I want and don't touch the trigger. I know that I put it away condition #1 and know it's good to go. I understand your concern of taking the safety off and having a live rd in the gun, but unless your gun is unsafe/or has a safety issue, it's not going to go off. If there is a mechanical issue with your gun, then the "safety" being "on" isn't going to stop it from a possible discharge. Tracy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Why not just leave it loaded? If you must clear it, just do it on the bottom floor aimed at the ground.

A tip- every time you pick up a pistol, imagine what would happed if you had a ND. That will help prevent one....

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Follow the four rules of safe firearm handling, find yourself an area of the floor/tile/carpet where you can safely point your muzzle from a 45 degree angle to load/unload, and you’re good to go.

The discipline, if you will, is being constantly mindful of having your finger off the trigger, outside of the trigger guard, and not hovering alongside the trigger. Many conscientiously worry about sympathetic contraction, or some form of it. The thought process has to be there at the conscious and subconscious level. One should actually be thinking about what they’re doing while loading/unloading, as opposed to mindlessly going through the motions (see: sloppy).

I’m guessing that one unloads a firearm at the end of the day because they are unable to safely store their firearm and to keep it away from curious, younger hands. But if that’s not the case, I would suggest keeping your firearm loaded, in its holster, tucked away safely (or secured) until it’s time to mount up again. A chamber check (following the same rules) will confirm any suspicion/doubt and again, you’re good to go. Besides, it’s not entirely a healthy thing for cartridges to be chambered up and downloaded, over and over again.

I like the Glock analogy because it involves the same safety principles and the same cognitive action(s).

·
Registered
22 Posts
My View

Not meaning to burn ya or anything even close to that, but my view is you should spend more time shooting at the range and practice clearing it there until you have total confidence in knowing your piece and knowing your confidence levels with that piece. It sounds like your not quite where you want to be carrying and clearing your gun. The more you do it the better you should feel about having a weapon around. Once or twice a month at least should help keep your concerns at bay,but, by all means, the more you shoot the more fun you'll have!

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Thanks for any constructive replies!
Eternal optimist. :(

I asked about mode 3 vs mode 1 a month or so back and over half the replies talked about mode 2 (which, as I said in my first post, is not safe) and they kept telling me how unsafe it is (DUH!).

I asked about setback in the cartridges that were chambered more than one time and received some rather huffy comments to the effect "Why would you even think of doing that?"

On this forum you either accept mode 1 as "gospel" or you don't talk about it. :barf:

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
The moment the slide starts rearward, the gun cannot fire. I too leave mine loaded and near the bed, but understand it's not feasible for everyone. Cartridge setback can indeed be an issue. I simply end my range sessions with the magazines I carry, and reload them with fresh carry HP's. That way you always get a little taste of your carry ammo too.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I noticed some suggestions above to leave it loaded, in the holster and put in the safe. If it is a blued gun and a leather holster, not a good idea. I've seen some that were stored in leather holster for an extended period, and the corrosion was not pretty.

I store mine loaded in my pistol safe, but not in the holster.

Big Al

·
Registered
529 Posts
I noticed some suggestions above to leave it loaded, in the holster and put in the safe. If it is a blued gun and a leather holster, not a good idea. I've seen some that were stored in leather holster for an extended period, and the corrosion was not pretty.

I store mine loaded in my pistol safe, but not in the holster.

Big Al
That's a big +1

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here's what I do.

There is no "magic formula" to it. The answer is to be always on your toes. Keep it pointed in a safe direction, keep your finger away from the trigger. I've got a wife and three year old son (and no-load brother in law sleeping on my couch). You betcha I'm careful. If there was a "magic formula", I'd be all over it.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.