1911Forum banner

My Para Beavertail Project w/ Pics

1276 Views 8 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  carmoney
Well I finally decided to put a beavertail on my P14 std. model (old school).
I tried a few from Brownells that I thought would be drop in but they didn't work out. Oh well, time for another project! I decided to go with a CMC extreme control safety. I didn't have a jig, but Carmoney was gracious enough to lend me his. Thanks again Carmoney!!!:rock:

First I taped off the spots I didn't want to hit if the file slipped.
Then I put in the jig and started filing. I used a crappy imitation dremel
that I bought awhile ago for a little while but it was faster and less scary
with a hand file. I did use the rotary tool later for some finishing work.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then...

After the final fitting and a slight blending It was time to refinish it and reassemble. The only thing that I am slightly unhappy about is the gap on the left side between the tang and the grip safety. It is not very big, but it is not as nice as the left side. Thats what happens when you get a little wild with the file and are trying to go too fast.:dope: All in all I am very pleased with my first attempt at fitting a beavertail/grip safety.

Attachments

· Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Next is a new hammer, sear, disconnector, and an adjustable rear sight. I really don't need a rear sight as it shoots POA, but I like having adjustable sights. After that who knows? I need to start focusing on my XD, but I can't work on that like I can my 1911's.

· Registered
660 Posts
Ozzy, my favorite trigger set-up for competition is the Koenig hammer (made by EGW), the EGW sear, any decent disconnector, and a Nowlin sear spring. Using these parts and the Ed Brown jig, you can make a beautifully light and perfectly crisp trigger pull that will last indefinitely.

For a nice trigger on a lower budget, I have had extremely good luck with the Wilson value line MIM trigger and sear. My Para has these parts, and has a great trigger pull that truly rivals the more expensive stuff.

Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.