1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday at work I finally took the plunge. I had promised myself that once I reached my target weight, I would pick up a 1911. Now, 10 lbs under, I finally decided to make it my Christmas/goal gift.

I went to Turners Outdoorsman on Saturday and had them bring out the Springfield Milspec, the Kimber Custom II Stainless, and The Springfield Loaded Stainless.

Oddly enough of the 3 the Springfield milspec had by far the best trigger in terms of Lbs of pull (probably around 4). Even the salesman was amazed. I also liked the way the arched mainspring housing made it feel like my glock in my hand. The Kimber, the gun that was drooling over, had by far the worst pull. It felt as bad as my glock when I first got it. It also it felt a little thick in my hands. The Springfield Loaded was beautiful to behold. The grips were the ultra thin Cocobolo (or however you spell that) wood, and it had the ambi safety (I am a south paw), both of which were mods that I would have added to the Kimber. Its trigger was by far better than the Kimber's, and while not quite as light as the Milspec's, it did not have the creep.

Suffice it to say I ordered the Springfield Loaded from The Armory yesterday, and I should (after shipping and dros) be able to pick it up before the New Year. I had read more articles saying that the Kimber was marginally more accurate, however I had read almost as many saying that it was the Springfield. However the general consensus was that BOTH were more accurate than I will EVER be. Both seem to be lauded here on GlockTalk with Kimber having the slight edge.

Now that I have blown all of my mad/Christmas money on a gun that I cant afford to shoot time too look into reloading...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congratulations on your new gun, I have the WWII mil-spec and i love it. Let us know how it shoots when you get it

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Welcome My Son

We have been awaiting your arrival :cool:

Great choice as well as value .

However , when you said you had to order it from the Armory , you lost me :confused: Don't they have pistols in stock so you can buy the one you inspected ? The trigger pull can and usually does vary on the guns you mentioned . Also , I know most here would recommend you look it over closely before buying in case of blems or other roughness in finish or action .

Possibly I misunderstood ?

·
Registered
259 Posts
You can check out any time you like but you can never leave

Welcome fellow 'slab sides' owner.
Please share all information and experiences that come to you in the ownership of your new pistol. Feel free to browse the forum for all its worth. There is a lot here. Should you ever have any questions, there are plenty of knowledgeable people here to help. They can save you a fortune in gunsmithing and help you to enjoy your 1911 to the fullest (if that's possible).
I look forward to your first range report.
Garry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, thank you all, for the kind welcome...

I ordered it from the following link:

http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/sapistol.html

Simply because it was about $100 less expensive than the one at turners. (What can I say, I'm frugal, and I realize that may have been a mistake) However, the SA's were 2 for 2 so I hold out hope.

Now it's all about the wait... stupid California.

Range reports to follow.

·
Registered
937 Posts
No, I believe they have the Schwarz (spelling?) style firing pin safety which is activated by the grip safety. Its not supposed to have any effect on the trigger pull.

Brian

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
They do indeed have a Swartz safety, which is released when the grip safety is depressed, if all goes well.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The trigger pull can and usually does vary on the guns you mentioned

BINGO!

Good Luck with the ordered unit.

Never, ever buy a cheap gun without inspecting it. Even some of the older ones need inspecting, but these Mil Specs are notorious for NOT being consistent guns.

Hope you get a good one, but you should have jumped on the one with the nice trigger. A nice trigger job to make it feel like that one is gonna cost around $100, maybe more should you get one with not as nice of a trigger.

Let us know how it feels when you get it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yesterday I recieved my sa loaded operator, and am going out to shoot it today. fit, finish, night sights, trigger pull (dry firing), everything seems great. hope for the same for you when you get your milspec,,,, as one recent sa newbie to another, I welcome you!!!

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Sounds like he actually decided on the Loaded Stainless PX9151L .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually did decide on the Loaded Stainless PX9151L. I sweat pure acid, so I figured that the stainless steel would be a tad bit more resistant to the rust that I seem to be able to generate.

·
Administrator
13,303 Posts
Be aware that it will indeed still rust . So keep it wiped with a protective product like RIG or a silicone cloth . The matted front strap and top of slide are most vulnerable .

·
Registered
60 Posts
serpentara, If my memory is right, this gun

has an adjustable trigger. So, all might be better than you think on first try. Hope it goes great for I too will be the proud new daddy of one in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Can't wait. Good luck and Merry Christmas. Phil...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got to hold her.

Well she finally arrived at my FFL and I got to hold her today. Points beautifuly, and even the FFL was commenting on how great the trigger was (I guess I lucked out) Everything feels really stiff for now, and even the thumb saftey took a little to engage. I noticed it also came with that stupid mainspring housing saftey whereby the gun can be disabled with a little key. I guess this may come in handy if I put my gun on my desk on a stand for display between range sessions (because in my opnion a 1911 is a work of art)

10 more days... 10 more LONG days... My Dad is commenting on how I am a nut and 650 is WAY to much for a gun... but we will see... we will see...

I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas/Chanukkah, and a safe New Years. RANGE REPORT TO COME JANUARY 3rd!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Serpentara, congrats on your new Springfield Loaded. And yes, CA does make us wait ten days, but what a New Year's present you'll have for yourself. Like yours, mine was stiff when brand new, but loosens up just enough after 200 rounds or so, and now works beautifully.

And thanks for the link to your source website--you got yours for even less than I did, at Gallery of Guns.

Merry Christmas, to you and all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I think I am in love

Well I finally got to pick her up from the ffl today and shoot her (a day late mind you) All I can say, is that I am freaked out that JMB was able to design a gun that was so taylored for my hand.

I brought her, my glock and 100 rounds each to the range.

I shot the 1911 first. My groupings at first were horrible, for this was the first 1911 I have shot more than 2 rounds with. The recoil was much lighter than my Glock. By the second box of 50 rounds I was able to shoot four shot groups that were about the size of a half dollar at 21 feet. I STILL can't do that with my Glock after 2400 rounds.

There was not one single failure of any kind, and this was without a first cleaning (I drove straight from the FFL to the range)

When I picked my Glock back up I almost flug it out of my hands it was so light. For the first mag or two, I could not hit the broad side of a barnyard, but then I got the hang of it again yet still could not shoot it as well as my 1911...

Oddly enough each time I fired the 1911 I could actually feel the warmth of the muzzle blast while at the cold indoor range. This is something that my glock does not do.

I think I am in love... Any ideas for names??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts