1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FedEx brought my '98 Loaded Full Size back to me today.

I had sent it in because the staked-on front sight had come loose, the frame was wearing on the spring guide tunnel of the slide and one of the mags that came with it was failing to lock the slide back. While Springfield was going to have the pistol, I asked that they replace the front sight with a dovetail sight and give the whole thing a "light carry bevel".

Well, they have done a hell of a job. The new front sight base is beautifully blended into the curve of the slide top and that "light carry bevel" job is exactly what I wanted (I had worried some about how much they would bevel it). Every edge, including the barrel bushing and edges of the hammer, has been given a bevel that is just under 1mm and consistent throughout. I much prefer this treatment to the "melt" jobs that have become the vogue lately.

They also replaced the rear Novak sight. I hadn't mentioned this to the Custom Shop guys before I sent them the pistol, but the rear sight did not have a "full" dovetail as it had a lot of light under it when the lock screw was tightened. The one that came back with the pistol fills the dovetail cut in the slide very well.

So, to C.S. Rep Deb Else, Frank and whoever else worked on my pistol, Thanks!

------------------
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
Humphrey Bogart
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Finally a good report on a Springfield. I knew it would happen eventually. Great news.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did the same thing with my Sringfield year 2000 Loaded Model. The front sight had come loose a bit, and I wanted to use it in the Steel Challenge. They had the gun for a few weeks, and it was back before the match. I asked them to dovetail the front sight, add a white dot on the front, and perform a "check" on all firing/safety systems. In addition, I asked them to include a couple of parts, and bill my credit card.

Whe I received the bill, the ony thing I was charged for was the parts.

There was no charge for the sights, (Which had been sighted in dead on) refitting of the slide to frame (I hadn't even asked for that!), the safety check, or shipping.

Can't beat that!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hi, Cathbad, I too have a '98 Loaded parkerized in .45. It also wears on the slide where it contacts the dust cover (left side). I also want a dovetailed front site and the bevel treatment. Would you mind telling me how much this set you back? You can email me if you would rather not post it.

Other than the slight cosmetic wear mentioned above, my SA has functioned reliably for 350 rounds so far. I was also wondering how the older Loaded models compare in overall quality compared to current pieces? I noticed mine has the two piece barrel that I am not too crazy about, but apparently the design is sufficient enough?!

Thanks,
Jimbo45

1 - 4 of 4 Posts