1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some warranty work done for reliability. They polished the feed ramp, re-cut the frame (?) and replaced the extractor. They also installed a YoBo rear and KGW front sight and refinish the entire gun in Black-T matte black. And I mean the ENTIRE gun. They even refinished the trigger leafspring!

I also installed some ultra-thin green linen VZ grips. My 7rd Tripp CobraMags should be here this week.

Can't wait to shoot it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I gotta say, the 1911's that I find most attractive are the simple mill-spec models with great finishes. Yours is a great example.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
That is a very sensible gun with pleasant lines and perfectly matching grips. Very cool. I like the YOBO sights, too. I have a hard time with 1911's with no beavertail but that is a gun I wouldn't mind bleeding for.

What did they charge you, or did they?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Very nice, the GI is the perfect 1911 with the exception of the sights and maybe a larger thumb safety.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i love it!

sharp yet without the extras. thats one fine looking pistola ya got there!

keep us updated on it

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
874 Posts
I generally dislike basic models but that one is very nice. Its just has cleaner lines and everything flows better:D

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Looks sharp. I've a gun in Black-T and I'm a fan. Any shots of the sights in particular? Thanks for sharing. :)

Andy

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Real nice.

Where do I get the front sight like you have?

If I tell Springfield to install the YoBo and your front sight, will they buy the sights for me or do I have to buy them and send to Springfield.

I want to put YoBos on two of my Springers. I imagine I could install myself.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The front sight is from King's Gun Works. I don't know if SA could procure them for you, but if they did, it would almost certainly cost more than buying them yourself.

Brownell's has them if you're interested. Since they're staked in, you will need a tool to install them.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
480 Posts
Wow!

WOW, that is quite possibly one of the most beautiful gun I have seen!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
M5NSX said:
Very nice!! The photography may be more impressive than the guns!! What camera and lens did you use?
LOL! Thanks. You're going to laugh when I tell you.

I used one of these:

It's a 7.1mp Canon SD550 Elph. I shot at ISO 50 with the macro setting on my kitchen table with only the window and overhead incandescent bulbs for light. If you look at the front strap of the grip, you can see a blue daylight hit from the window. I believe the exposure was 1.6 seconds.

Here's a big hint if you want to take nice gun photos: NO FLASH! Flashes are the devil. Use a tripod, use the lowest ISO possible, and use the timer, so you don't have to touch the camera to shoot. It's very easy. Just experiment!

·
Premium Member
9,803 Posts
just awesome!! SA sure knows how to turn out a pistol. That can stand next to any high end repro anywhere anytime costing boat loads more. beautiful simplicity.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beltfedleadhead said:
LOL! Thanks. You're going to laugh when I tell you.

I used one of these:

It's a 7.1mp Canon SD550 Elph. I shot at ISO 50 with the macro setting on my kitchen table with only the window and overhead incandescent bulbs for light. If you look at the front strap of the grip, you can see a blue daylight hit from the window. I believe the exposure was 1.6 seconds.

Here's a big hint if you want to take nice gun photos: NO FLASH! Flashes are the devil. Use a tripod, use the lowest ISO possible, and use the timer, so you don't have to touch the camera to shoot. It's very easy. Just experiment!

Very nice photos for an Elph. We also use an Elph when I don't want to drag the large SLR Canon(Rebel) around. I definitely agree with the flash advice. With a good camera and a fast lens you can get rid of the flash most of the time. One day I may pick up 1DMarkIIIN (or a 40D) with some of the L lenses from Canon. I would have guessed a SLR-Canon or Nikon for the shots you took. I do love the guns too!!

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Hey, 'leadhead, I commend you on the minimalist pistol. It's right up my alley, except for the lanyard loop, which makes a real bitch of slamming in a mag on the hurry-up, and the slim grips, as I prefer the standard width. The Yo-Bo retro rear sight is my fave, barely edging out the Heinie Slant Pro. I have a gun in the works, based on a Caspian slide and frame, with which I'm getting back to basics. Seeing a gun like yours reaffirms my enthusiasm for a real traditional 1911. Thanks for posting the pics.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Very, very sweet!!!:rock:

I've been hankering for a back to basics 1911 for months now and you're not helping matters any.;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
outstanding gun

That gun is just about perfect.

You said some of the work was under warranty. If you don't mind me asking , what work did you pay for and what did they pay for?

I would like my milspec to come out looking just like that but with an extended thumb safety.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts