1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kimber slipped out of her holster, dropping onto the carpet with a loud thud. Should I seek mental help, as it has left me quite shaken. I've failed to protect her from myself, I knew I should have tightened that damn tention screw. Damn you Galco....damn you all to heck

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I'm sorry, but for the good of your Kimber and to prevent further abuse, we will have to place it in a foster home ... mine. Please ship it immediately.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Might want to go with a better holster. Holsters from Mark Waldon, Milt Sparks, etc. are built such that events like that are pretty rare.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I think you have a good idea of what you need to do to prevent this from happening again. Ditch the Galco and the tension screw thing.

It has been my experience that when the screw is tensioned enough to hold the gun in, the draw is equally impaired. Properly fitted holsters dont need screw down gizmos.

I hope your Kimber is OK.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the milt sparks and mark walden sites, I like the sparks better. But, I like the sob, it just works better for me. Don't care for the muzzle in the wing dingy
The Galco's tention screw is either too tight or not tight enough. Decisions... decisions... decisions

·
Registered
731 Posts
Mitch Rosen is also a good choice--kind of expensive, though. Kramer is supposed to make good stuff, too. While you're at it, do you have a good belt? If not, may as well pick one up from whomever you order the holster.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Hint: When looking for holsters first return to the 1911Forum "Welcome" page, click on LINKS and then on "Our extensive list of holsters..." There are more than a few makers listed.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Geeee Fella's... Tony K from Sparks, and Mark W. are both Moderators here but you have forgotten a few other names, LOU ALESSI comes to mind.

Awesome Gear! Great Price...

I have noticed a few new members here mention carrying S.O.B. and I hope they understand the pitfalls of doing so...

One is with Weapon's Retention. Yup, it can fall out, but it's also not as easy to guard and retain the gun when it's behind you.

On the hip, or slightly aft, you can use your arm to "lock" it in, and retain it from someone intent on taking it away from you.

Some people also mention falls, and the possiblity of the gun between your spine, and a hard surface, definately not a safe situation.

I will admit, there's a few times when I will carry S.O.B. but mostly, I try to avoid it.

As others have mentioned, a good holster shouldn't need the tension adjustment, although some excellent leather holsters, and most Kydex ones use them. A thumb break is not necessary either, but it you are going to carry S.O.B., it's probably a feature worth considering.

I prefer IWB, and security has never been a concern, a good belt provides support, and helps in holding the gun in place. Often, it's an adjustment for some, but there's simply no better method for carrying a gun, especially a larger one like a Government model, concealed.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I think you'd be real happy with a Bianchi #3S Pistol Pocket. Thumpstrap design, no retention worries whatsoever. A great IWB design, and doesn't cost like the "custom jobs". Readily available also.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My .02 worth...There is no better way to carry a 1911 concealed than in a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. This holster comes with interchangeable belt loops, of various sizes, so that I can correctly fit the holster to whichever belt I'm wearing that day.

Here is one tip...read the directions. No fooling! The holster may well be much to snug on the gun when it comes from the factory.

If that is the case,Put the gun in the poly bag that the holster came in, and then put gun and bag in the holster. The next day, you will have a perfect fit.

I have two of these holsters, one for my Commander, and one full-size. They are trim, handsome, and functional.

And they ain't for sale.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Bucksnuffer,

Check out the Hard Shell Talon and its price at this site. I'm also looking at holsters and have yet to find one negative comment about Lou Alessi's work- except for lead-times! http://www.rfholsters.com/rfholsters/dept.asp?dept%5Fid=10

Good Luck,

Waldo1

------------------
"'Necessity' is the plea for every infringement upon human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt, 1783

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Just think, if it had been a LDA bucksnuffer was carrying, he would need a "PARA-Chute."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
bucksnuffer,

If you like the Sparks rig,before you place your order, check out Rafter S.

IMHO,Same quality for half the price!

http//:www.raftersgunleather.com/

I have the sharkskin belt and holster and I fully expect them to outlive me.

Jim V,

A "PARA-CHUTE"?

[This message has been edited by potthawg (edited 07-29-2001).]

·
Registered
285 Posts
check out www.raftersgunleather.com
no tension screws need apply , prices a workin man can afford , quality outstanding , warranty great .

------------------
S.L. Caldwell
Leathercrafter
Rafter S Gunleather 417-277-5636
www.raftersgunleather.com

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't feel to bad.

Prince William's bodyguard dropped his Glock
9mm the other day in a slight scuffle with an admiring crowd.

Might be time for a new holster for both of you.

------------------
Guaranteed delivery in 30 minutes or less or your next one is free!

Minuteman III LGM30G

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
If you really must have an SOB, Mr. Alessi makes a nice IWB SOB holster. I swore that I would never try an SOB, but that one makes me think about it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts