1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After many years of being carried around in my waistband, getting sweated on, getting left dirty and not being shot as much as one's carry gun should be and all the while getting ignored while somebody else’s blaster got fixed up, my old buddy finally got some attention.

Colt Series '80 Lightweight Commander
Novak Lo-Mount sights, bar-dot, tall rear
Schuemann .45 Ulti-Match bull barrel
Ed Brown Hardcore extractor
EGW extra long 9mm ejector, trimmed to length
EGW square bottom firing pin stop
ED Brown reverse plug -w- Nowlin 2pc guide rod
Hogue smooth Kingwood stocks -w- Ed Brown grip screws
Wilson hi-grip beavertail
Ed Brown tactical thumb safety
EGW slide stop
Ed Brown barstock Commander hammer
EGW hard sear
Briley disconnector
Casull trigger
Ed Brown tactical mag catch
Colt pins, plunger tube, grip screw bushings
Colt alloy mainspring housing
finished in Metalife hard chrome over electroless nickel

More pics at: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288715579

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
Absolute beautiful. Love the beveling around the muzzle end of the slide, and slide release. Folks, I've handled this gun in the white before John sent it to the plater and finisher, and the pictures doesn't do it justice. I didn't want to give it back.

Major seepage.:rock:

·
Registered
295 Posts
John,

Beautiful work, as always. :D

Why the 9mm ejector? Sorry for the stupid question but we want to know your secrets, LOL.

Bob Sigmon

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
B Sigmon said:
John,

Beautiful work, as always. :D

Why the 9mm ejector? Sorry for the stupid question but we want to know your secrets, LOL.

Bob Sigmon
Thanks Bob. I feel so much better now knowing I'm not going to be embarrassed when I pull my carry gun out to show it to a potential customer. ;)

A .45 ACP Colt Commander uses a .38 Super/9mm extended ejector and EGW makes an extra long nosed version. Since a Commander has so much less stroke than a Government Model, I like to use the longest ejector nose possible and it still live eject with my Hydra-Shoks.

Ricky T said:

Major seepage.:rock:
Let's hope you're talking drool there, RT :eek:

·
Registered
295 Posts
John,

You know that we're all drooling, Ricky is the only one strong enough to admit it!

Thank for the info on the ejector. Another little nugget to store away in the dark recesses. There is always something new to learn.

Thanks,

Bob Sigmon

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi John thanks for the show, I enjoyed it. I can’t place the Hammer. Is it a brown? I’m not familiar with that hammer but it looks like you may have trimmed it for less drop off the disconector track. Is the bevel on the hammer hole factory or is it yours? Nice touch. People displaying their work is what keeps me coming back to this forum. Thanks and very nice job.......

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi TGR,

Thanks for the nice words. I feel the same way about seeing other peoples work.

The hammer is one of Ed Brown's barstock Hardcore hammers. They come with a bevel already there.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I love to see all of this kickin' work too. You guys are the reason i started doin' this stuff. Hopefully my next gun will show that you guys are a good influence :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
nice!
No better carry gun than a LW Commander, esp one that says COLT on the side.

I really like the little touches to aid Commander operation like the EGW stop, bull barrel and and long 9mm ejector.

·
Super Moderator
13,411 Posts
Nice to see the rejuvenated Commander in that brand new Sparks Summer Special 2. :)

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
John,

Beautiful Commander. Love the attention to detail. Very nice yet understated. A classic look that I love

How is the hard chrome over electroless nickel finish working for you?

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,053 Posts
Is the ramped barrel a better solution than a steel frame insert? If you have no need/desire for a new barrel?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matfie said:
John,

Why did you decide on the hard chrome over electroless nickel?

Great looking piece. :)

Matt
Thanks, Matt.

The dual plate thing is Metalife's program. It has to be done to the alloy parts, for the chrome to bond. It is supposed to be an enhancement to carbon steel parts to make them more rust resistant. It was only a $40.00 upcharge to do the double plate, so I decided to go for it. The chrome didn't bond well to the interior surfaces, which you can see in the pic below:

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RickB said:
Is the ramped barrel a better solution than a steel frame insert? If you have no need/desire for a new barrel?
At the point in time that I decided to replace the barrel and wanted to get some steel in place for a feed ramp, nobody was doing the inserts, that I knew about. So I got the ramped barrel and let it sit around for several years before I installed it. If I were starting over today with the same circumstances, I'd probably go with the insert, although it's nice to have the extra barrel foot material to fit closely to the frame slot.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Oh great! Now it's not such a great looking piece. Thanks for pointing out the flaws. ;)

Thanks for the clarification.

Matt

·
Registered
262 Posts
wow. it's always an education to look at work like this.

question: did you bevel the slide by hand? maybe that's an obvious answer - I can't think of a fixture that would allow you to do the curves around the dustcover. I guess that means you maintained that even bevel, by hand, over the flats on the sides and then through all the curves on top and bottom. it looks so even, you might think its easy...

best regards,
jared

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hows that EGW ejector work for you? I saw an ad for it in an old Handgunner and liked the way it looks. Do they make a extra long version specifically for the 45, or does it matter?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jared - Thanks! The bevel is done by hand starting with a 8" mill bastard file and and a 6" half-round file, finishing with a sanding stick wrapped with 240 grit paper.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts