1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this RIA CS from a friend for a great price.

Wasn’t in the market for another 1911.
Now that Ive shot it. I think it would be an awesome EDC gun with a couple of changes.

Im looking for suggestions/advice at replacing the following.

Trigger, Thumb Safety, Mag Release, Night Sites and possibly Slide Release and any internal parts that might be suggested.

Ive checked out Fusion Firearms and they seems to have everything I need and lower prices than Wilson Combat which I am also looking at for parts.

Once I have everything fitted Im planning on having it refinished in Cerakote Armor Black.

Geuss Im a Rock Head now.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Check with Chris @ Metaloy. He does excellent smithing and Hard chrome is a MUCH better finish.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Picked up this RIA CS from a friend for a great price.

Wasn’t in the market for another 1911.
Now that Ive shot it. I think it would be an awesome EDC gun with a couple of changes.

Im looking for suggestions/advice at replacing the following.

Trigger, Thumb Safety, Mag Release, Night Sites and possibly Slide Release and any internal parts that might be suggested.

Ive checked out Fusion Firearms and they seems to have everything I need and lower prices than Wilson Combat which I am also looking at for parts.

Once I have everything fitted Im planning on having it refinished in Cerakote Armor Black.

Geuss Im a Rock Head now.
First of all, first thing you should do is to shoot the snot out of it with ammo you intend to carry.
At last 4~500 rounds and see if gun runs, if your intended to carry it.

Then worry about replacing things.

By replacing things that don't need replacing, you'll likely make it less reliable

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Congrats on the new gat.

See DSK's sig line.......says it all for a new to you gun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've shot 300 rd though it so far with 4 mags of my carry ammo. So not allot..but enough to know I like it.

Trigger has almost 1/4" of slack. - Id like something smoother and cleaner.

Thumb Safety is to small for me and its difficult to manipulate.- Extended but not sure ambi is what I want.

Mag Release and Slide Release - Just asking to see if anyone has had to replace them.

Internal Parts- Same as above. just checking.

Sites- While it reminds me of the GI 1911 I carried in the Army. I think nite sites would be an upgrade.

Its a great little gun and Im finding I like it more that my TRP.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I've shot 300 rd though it so far with 4 mags of my carry ammo. So not allot..but enough to know I like it.

Trigger has almost 1/4" of slack. - Id like something smoother and cleaner.
New trigger with pre-travel adjustment is what you need. I prefer short solid trigger with both pre-traveladjust, and over travel stop. But choice is lacking
Thumb Safety is to small for me and its difficult to manipulate.- Extended but not sure ambi is what I want.
Many people seems to think having Amb is bad thing. But I for one thinks having multiple ways to do the same thing on carry gun is a good thing. What I find with extended safety is that the with thumb break holster, the strap can push the safety to "off". There is strap between the firing pin and hammer, but less than ideal. GI paddle works a lot better for me
Mag Release and Slide Release - Just asking to see if anyone has had to replace them.
Nope. Don't see the need for it. but if I was to replace them, I'd replace the slide release. Slide release is the only part in ANY 1911 that I've ever seen that actually broke(it was barstock one too!). I did replaced one in my wife's 9mm Tactical with WC extended one, because of her small hand

Internal Parts- Same as above. just checking.
For a carry gun, I think its perfectly adequate. I had my gunsmith polish FCG, and that seems all it needed. Depending on how much polishing you do, be sure to re do the heat treat, or else its just gonna wear away. I'd also look in to have spare, fitted extractor. Now, if Im to carry the weapon in to Unknown in Mars or something, where spare parts are not easily accessible, I may reconsider

Sites- While it reminds me of the GI 1911 I carried in the Army. I think nite sites would be an upgrade.
Ok. GI sight sucks. They need to go in the way of DoDo bird, unless you have a valid reason to keep one(and would have to be a pretty damn good reason). You have Staked onfront with standard GI rear. Your choice of night sight is pretty much limitless. I prefer big tritium front with just notched rear. My carry gun is equipped with XS Big Dot tritium with 0.325" height with 0.156" wide "U" notch rear

Its a great little gun and Im finding I like it more that my TRP.
Well, I don't know if I go that far. My TRP is pretty much is in the whole different class than my CS, even after all the upgrade it has.
Red is me

·
Registered
921 Posts
Upgrades

Agree with several of the other postings about gaining experience with your Pistol before making alterations. I do have Fusion Tritium Night Sights on one of my 1911's and they definitely improved my issue with aging eyes.

If you're planning on having your RIA coated, have that done before replacing the Sights. The Sights normally are removed prior to coating and reinstalled afterwards to prevent damage.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There is one change I will make to my 1911s from now on, the thumb safety. I have smaller hands and was not able to comfortably use a thumb over grip until I swapped the stock thumb safety for a low mount safety. Gunsite makes the one I use, but Wilson Combat makes one also.

This is what it looks like on my CS

If your grips are thick you may have to do some fitting and the safety may require some fitting to your gun, as well.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I am very happy with the Cylinder & Slide trigger I installed in my CS-Tactical. I prefer a long-style (mity2 likes 'em short) and the C&S come in all three lengths. It's aluminum (stainless-steel bow) with an overtravel screw and a serrated face. I "broke" the edge on the face to make a bit more comfy but that's all. Other than going to a Wolff spring set (recoil and main), grips to taste, and different sights the internals seem very durable and satisfactory. It isn't really one of those guns you have to gut and replace to make it reliable. If it's going to see a lot of holster duty the refinish is a good idea as Armscor's Parkerizing wears quickly, especially in Kydex. Welcome to the Rockpile!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it's going to see a lot of holster duty the refinish is a good idea as Armscor's Parkerizing wears quickly, especially in Kydex. Welcome to the Rockpile!
Still looking for a good holster for it. Might end up with a kydex of some sort.

For refinish Im leaning toward Cerakote Armor Black but also looking at Duracoats line of Black.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I was looking at the Wilson site. I see the overtravel adjustment screw in the trigger illustrations, but I'm confused about the pre-travel adjustment?

See where I circled in red?
That's pre travel adjust tab. You bend it forward take out the "slack"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts