1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Shane asked me to post it, but there isn't really a whole lot to tell.

I was with Officer Gonzalez ("Danny") from about 6 PM until around 11:30 PM. After we got the initial awkwardness out of the way, (i.e., "Danny, I swear like a truck driver, so if you cuss, please do so, makes things more comfortable...." and he did), we had a pretty good time talking back and forth and driving around.

I say driving around because that's pretty much all we did. Now, maybe things heated up after 11:30 PM, but I can tell you this: If you are suspicious looking and driving a car that's stolen or has fake plates in Simi Valley, you are in deep doo-doo. About 3/4 of the calls I heard on the radio were requests for license plate verifications (no, they don't have terminals in their cars yet, maybe next year). They don't have much else to do out there, it seems.

The most interesting call was the first one, where a divorced couple were fighting about their kid. Seems the hubby lives in Michigan, and when he comes to California, he gets his kid for the weekend. Well, he'd notified his ex-wife and when he got there, she refused to release the kid. Sensibly, he went to the police station instead of Donnybrooking it out with her. We went over, with backup (who happened to be a female K9 officer, with a holster on her leg, no less). The woman yammered on for about ten minutes (she was a certifiable lunatic), and Danny just sort of listened pleasantly, nodding his head. Then he'd had enough and as nicely as he could, told her either she could release the kid or go to jail. It ended well, but it wasn't fun to watch, and the lady was pissed off that I was there (standing wearing a "Citizen Observer" badge). I can imagine that a lot of calls are like this, where you just have to listen to someone who's all bent out of shape just rant and rave and go crazy, and not try to fix the situation. She had determined her kid was NOT going with her ex-husband, even to the point of as we were walking the little girl out to her dad (and she was ecstatic to see him, BTW), the woman told the guy to stay there, she wanted to TALK TO HIM for a minute. Danny told the guy to go on and go, if he wanted to, and the lady got all huffy again. I was wondering if she was going to freak out and leap on his back or something, but she didn't.

I got to spook him out because while he was in the house, I got bored and started poking around the car. (He came out and got me later.) I was reading hot sheets, and looking at ticket books, that kind of stuff, then I opened the glove box and found the cute little Keltec (sp) sitting there. I took it out, chamber-checked it, and then put it back. Later, I was chaffing Danny about how he wears a bulletproof vest with plates, carries a Glock .40, has OC spray, baton...all that personal self-defense stuff, and he doesn't wear a seatbelt. Then I added, "You've even got that cute little gun in the glove box with a round in the chamber but you don't wear your seat belt?"

Instant reaction:
I thought he was going to have a heart attack, and I explained that I was quite capable of chamber checking a gun, thank you, and don't get off the subject, why don't you wear your seat belt? I don't know if he was more concerned about me chamber-checking his gun or poking around his car. It made for an interesting moment, though.

Lessee...oh yeah, some guy got his locker broken into and his stuff stolen at Bally's Gym...I ended up typing the report on the laptop for that, 'cause Danny's a SLOW typer...

All in all, it was fairly dull. We were goofing off for a minute on our way back to the station and he zapped me with the spotlight, so I zapped him with his flashlight. We did this back and forth a few times and ended up in a four wheel locked skid into the intersection at a red light. Who said a ride along was safe?

At no time was it hairy, scary, or crazy. And this was on a FRIDAY night, 4th of July weekend, WITH A FULL MOON.

Maybe it just wasn't my night to see wacky stuff happening, but it seemed like the Simi guys have a pretty cush job. Danny did say that it never fails when he has a ride along, things are dull as hell. But it was cool, and maybe in 6 months or a year, if I'm feeling bored and he'll let me, I'll go again.

So there's my whiz-bang ride along story. Sorry it wasn't more exciting. But I had a great time, and the officer was honest and open and funny as hell (after we got past the swearing thing).

------------------
Corruptisima republica plurimae leges
(The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws)

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I guess the Simi Valley boys in blue run a tight ship for you to have such an uneventful ride-along. That's a GOOD thing.

Sounds like you made a friend however. That's another good thing!

The majority of police work is pretty mundane stuff - but it's good to see that side of it. Too much exposure to "Cops" and "World's Wildest Police Chases" tend to place a lot of misconception on the daily grind of a patrol cop.

I liked your Keltec story. Is Officer Gonzalez a "gun guy", or does he simply view his weapon(s) as a tool of the trade, like a carpenter views his hammer? Occasionally, if you get in good with a "gun guy" cop, you may be invited to the police range.

All in all, sounds like you enjoyed yourself. Would you do it again?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Originally posted by shane45-1911:
I guess the Simi Valley boys in blue run a tight ship for you to have such an uneventful ride-along. That's a GOOD thing.
Maybe, maybe not... Simi Valley is DEFINATELY a BORING City in terms of Crime Fighting... They have an "informal" Shall Issue policy there, so most Bad Guys avoid the place, only stupid ones looking to get shot hang out in Simi

KL, see if you can get a Ride Along with the Sheriffs there, much more fun. My daughter is a Candidate in AZ, and did quite a few when she lived in Agoura. The CHP also have some pretty good shifts...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well I am glad you enjoyed it, law enforcement is 95 % "routine" and 5% madness. I am glad to hear you had a chance to walk in our shoes. Thinking of a career change ??? I can't believe where you live and they don't have computer terminals in the cars.... Oh well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shane -

I think Gonzalez is a "tools of the trade" guy; and it wouldn't matter if he invited me to the range, since the Simi PD uses Shooter's Paradise, just like I do! (Supposed to be building their own range...just like they were supposed to get MDTs in 1998...oh now wait, now it's gonna be 1999...oh wait...etc ad nauseaum).

Yeah, I'd do it again - I told hubby just tonight that in 6 months or so I'll ask if I can go out with him again. Don't want him to think anything funny about the request. It would just suck if I took my chances with another guy and ended up with some high-speed, low-drag $hithead who was interested in playing cowboy or whatever.

Lawdog - no career change. I'm 30 years old, got a 3 y.o. kid, and I kind enjoy doing the housewife/lounge lizard thing. Plus, I'm unfortunately far too naive to be a police officer. I would have a very hard time understanding why people would deliberately lie to me even if (a) I was trying to help them, (b) the evidence of their lie is right in my face (i.e., "No, officer, I don't have any drugs", as I pull crack from their pockets) Also, people hating me and being pissed at me because I'm in uniform would be hard to swallow. I respect most cops because they've got a hard job, mostly thankless, and most people tend to believe whatever the media portrays them as today.

KILLER COPS IN LOS ANGELES
COPS BEAT SUSPECT SENSELESS; DOJ PROBE

Crap like that. What people don't see (and usually are too stupid to understand anyway) is that in any group of people, yer gonna have good ones and yer gonna have schmucks and that's just the way it works. But people insist that cops be good guys ALL the time and NEVER make mistakes or get stressed or pissed off. I mean jeez, Officer, he's just a 19 y.o. kid...why'd you push him to the ground? Well, gosh, it was only a LITTLE knife, not like he could HURT you with it even though a kid with a knife can cover 21 feet in 1.6 seconds, you big bully you...I think someone shoule SUE you...

Okay, ad nauseam, but you get my point.

All in all, it was pretty cool, so I'll go again in a few months...also don't wanna make the hubby jealous. We just had a serial rapist caught here in Simi, and I got an email from Danny with a phone number to call him. Hmmm...I think I'll call with the emphasis on "what happened with the serial killer"...don't think I have much to worry about, he's married.

Okay, I'm done. I'm tired and zoning and rambling way more than I usually do. G'night, guys.

------------------

·
Registered
252 Posts
Glad you had fun on your ride a long...the last time I had a rider we had 10 people shot and one killed in several incidents..with my rider and I the first to arrive at a gang shooting with over 100 gangsters milling about. He later told me that he had a great time and was a tad nervous at one point...he did tell me that I had a "cool" job. I don't get many ride a longs but when I do they are generally informative to me and my rider...

Semper Fidelis

·
Registered
370 Posts
ya need to do a ride along with the LAPD in south central if you want some action, or with the sheriffs in COMPTON, ca.
hehehe

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Black Pearl 45:
ya need to do a ride along with the LAPD in south central if you want some action, or with the sheriffs in COMPTON, ca.
hehehe
No thanks, I did an informal "ride along" with my instructor in 77th, Hollenbeck, Southeast, etc. and I don't ever wanna do that $hit again. Nothing like driving around 108th and Grape Streets and watching three gangbangers stroll up to my new Ford Explorer with their hands in their pockets. I was so scared the whole time that for the first hour (the hour, incidentally, that we were in 77th Division) that I felt like I was going to throw up. Hollenbeck and Rampart were pretty bad too, but nothing was as bad as 77th.

------------------

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by cc987:
Glad you had fun on your ride a long...the last time I had a rider we had 10 people shot and one killed in several incidents..with my rider and I the first to arrive at a gang shooting with over 100 gangsters milling about. --end snip--
Jeez, what division were you guys riding in?? Sounds like 77th to me...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by cc987:
Not LA...way up north in Stockton
Argh, I have to drive through Stockton every time I drive to my dad's house in Auburn. I remember the first time hubby and I made that drive, and we made the mistake of pulling off into Stockton just past the boatyards for gas and some Taco Bell.

First time I've ever seen bulletproof glass on a Taco Bell drive up window. It was...eye-opening, to say the least.

------------------

·
Registered
252 Posts
Next time you drive through...stay to the North end of the city..ie-Hammer Lane...somewhat safer....Happy Trails

1 - 12 of 12 Posts