1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this last year as a project. Know it would get lots of changes. First few range trips showed it shot high buy 3-4 inches and 11 o’clock. How ever. With around 900 rounds it’s been 100% reliable.
Closer inspection showed two things.

1. a very loose barrel bushing. It would fall out under its own weight if the stripped slide was tilted on end. There is lots of side to side and up and down play.

2. There is a burr on the inside of the muzzle of the barrel. I feel it with my pinky finger. A barrel alignment tool for firing pin alignment will not fit down the muzzle end of the barrel. But will the breach end.

I have a Kart barrel and bushing that I will fit to take care of this issue. Pretty excited for this fix.
Other then that I have swapped the mainspring housing for a WWII Ithaca checkered mainspring housing. Colt thumb and grip safeties. As well as a Colt Slide Stop. Looking into a colt Wide Spur hammer as well. All the part except the kart barrel have been drop in with great fit. I swapped the grips for some wood ones from eBay that look stunning. The seller did not know the manufacture but they are outstanding.

mince done it will be sent to Fords Custom Guns for a nice high end bluing.
Current pics below.

follow on Instagram at Thisisyourcaptin to see more pics and updates.

·
Registered
1911 Addict
576 Posts
Nice! I bought mine for similar reasons and plan on replacing several parts to fit my taste. Mine shoots pretty good and hasn’t had any malfunctions. I also own higher end 1911’s but my Service model holds it own and is a good value.

·
Premium Member
611 Posts
I’m shocked your barrel fell out like that. And the burr. Mine had nothing like that. Nice job though. I’m still evaluating mine. Good starter 1911.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
thisisyourcaptin,

Looks great! I am thinking of making some similar changes to mine.

Have you considered also swapping out the trigger and mag release? How are the internals holding up through 900 rounds? In another Tisas thread someone mentioned the internal lock work perhaps being softer than on a Springfield.

Thank you for any further info you can provide.

WJR

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m shocked your barrel fell out like that. And the burr. Mine had nothing like that. Nice job though. I’m still evaluating mine. Good starter 1911.
was only the barrel bushing to slide fit that is that loose. The bushing to barrel fit is good. But cause the bushing to slide fit is so loose the bushing falls free of the slide. If only the bushing is installed.

thisisyourcaptin,

Looks great! I am thinking of making some similar changes to mine.

Have you considered also swapping out the trigger and mag release? How are the internals holding up through 900 rounds? In another Tisas thread someone mentioned the internal lock work perhaps being softer than on a Springfield.

Thank you for any further info you can provide.

WJR
mine really feels no different then new. Trigger prob around 5 lbs or so and functional. Really is not that great of one or bad. It’s a good combat trigger. Mag release is fine for what it is. I am going to try a Colt one I have sitting around or even a EGW retro one. As far as how hard the internals are, I don’t know. But let’s be honest. It’s a 380-400 dollar gun. You won’t get harden tool steel internals at that price. MIM is the name of the game. If we are all honest with each other mim is fine for most of us if we are using them as range toys. Ill prob swap the disconnector simply cause its very rough on the top and makes for a rough slide action. But the rest is fine for shooting at the range. It’s never going to be a combat or competition gun. It we’ll see. I say that now knowing that I love tinkering with these all the time.

·
Administrator
75,199 Posts
Glad to see the USGI parts dropped in without fitting. I was wondering how close these pistols are to being mil-spec.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
mine really feels no different then new. Trigger prob around 5 lbs or so and functional. Really is not that great of one or bad. It’s a good combat trigger. Mag release is fine for what it is. I am going to try a Colt one I have sitting around or even a EGW retro one. As far as how hard the internals are, I don’t know. But let’s be honest. It’s a 380-400 dollar gun. You won’t get harden tool steel internals at that price. MIM is the name of the game. If we are all honest with each other mim is fine for most of us if we are using them as range toys. Ill prob swap the disconnector simply cause its very rough on the top and makes for a rough slide action. But the rest is fine for shooting at the range. It’s never going to be a combat or competition gun. It we’ll see. I say that now knowing that I love tinkering with these all the time.
Thank you. And yes, I agree with you however the Springers are also chock full of MIM at a higher price point. I have not fully taken mine down as of yet, but from a field strip the slide stop does not appear to be MIM. The hammer definitely is. Have not examined the thumb safety, sear, disconnecter as of yet. So far I have only changed the grips to the darker brown ones from eBay. I have begun to stockpile some GI parts but in no rush to swap anything out.

WJR

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have one of these and it shoots right on top of the sight @ 10-12 yds. No issues of any kind since I have owned it. Shoots anything I feed it. Very nice pistol for the money.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts