1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought this thing new @ 1981. My first handgun. It's still in nice shape, probably had about 1000 rds through it, total.

1. What's it worth these days?

2. It has two spots that concern me because I *think* they may have some rust starting, but I can barely detect it. One is in the Elliason rear sight, the other is on the serrated part of the slide release lever in a single serration. Should this concern me? Anything I should be doing?

3. I really hate the sights. The rear one tears up my palm if I rack the slide without really thinking about my hand position. It's sharp like a damned knife. Neither are marked and I really prefer an outline of some type, cause the eyes ain't what they used to be. Any recommendations for replacing the sights, or should this be avoided?

4. In general, is it a bad idea to do any customization to this thing? Will that hurt or help the value? Right now, it's all original. I could kill myself for tossing the original box 4 years ago. What was I thinking?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you are a collector or anticipate selling it to a collector then you don't want to do anything to the pistol in regards to customizing it other than swapping out parts........and save the old parts. Both the parts you are experiencing rust on are replaceable with parts from Colt so I don't think they would be a big deal to replace if it came to it. It is probably best to just keep them oiled to prevent further rusting.

I have a stainless 80 series Gold Cup myselfl. I never thought of it as a collector piece and have filed it all up and checkered the frontstrap and had a beavertail installed. I took a file to round off that Eliason sight so I know what you're talking about it being sharp. I think there is a replacement sight out there that will fit the Eliason cutout......I thought Bomar made one.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Millet makes a nice sight for the gold cup, It comes with choice of white outlines, it is serrated so I find it does not reflect light like the factory sight and the corners are rounded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts