1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my surplus Sistema is coming along nicely. After many cleanings and firing a couple hundred rounds through it, it now operates MUCH smoother than the day I pulled it out of its plastic bag it came in.
The mag release is still a pain in the butt, but it's coming along.

Today, though, I found out what it definately does not like...Federal Hydra-Shok HPs. I've always heard that many 1911s do not like HPs, but this was pretty bad. It would not feed ONE, EVER, with various mags.

Just curious...does the age of the design of a 1911 have anything to do with its dislike of HPs? And, more importantly, do modernly manufactured 1911s overcome this problem?

While Glocks may not be that popular around here
, my Model 30 is utterly reliable, even with HPs. Could this be because a Glock is a fairly recent design, designed around todays ammo types?

Anyway, after getting a taste of my first 1911 I, of course, plan on getting another very soon. I like the idea of a lighter weight handgun but hate polymer(plastic) frames. So, how about this one... www.impactguns.com/store/product983.html

Also, any general opinions on Kimber? Quality, Customer Service, etc.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
72,106 Posts
When your Sistema was made HP ammo didn't exist. The modification done to older guns to allow reliable feeding of JHP ammo is called throating. Basically, a gunsmith widens the entryway into the chamber and polishes both it and the feed ramp.

It's a $50 modification which any decent gunsmith can do. Don't do it yourself unless you know what you are doing however, as you can actually ruin your gun beyond repair or worse yet cause a dangerous case blowout.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
On mil-spec pistols that have not been throated, try Remington Golden Sabers. They were designed to follow the ogive of "ball" ammo.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Hmmm,

My Sistema feeds 230 gr. Hydra-Shoks without a hitch. I did not throat mine, but did polish the feed ramps. I chucked up a Q-Tip in the dremel, coated it with jeweler's rouge, and polished to a bright shine.

I am using Mec-Gar mags, and the Hydra-Shoks are just as reliable as ball.

·
Registered
89 Posts
T_Smith Very happy to hear that the gun is running better. I have used Golden Sabers to good effect in guns that would not feed other HP ammo, the EFMJ is just cool.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the relpies, guys.

I think I will just stick with ball ammo for my Sistema and use it for plinking, learning proper sight picture, trigger control, etc.

How about that link to the Kimber I listed in my original posting? Would that make a good second purchase? The only thing I would do to it is add an ambi-safety, since I'm a lefty and it would probably be carried occasionally as I have a carry permit.

Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The Kimber is a great 1911. I have a Stainless target, paid $850 and it is perfect. the machining is tight and it shoots very accurate. Its fun to go to the range and shoot tight groups. It will handle any and all ammo. Go out and rent, borrow or shoot someone elses Kimber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts