1911Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Taurus G2c with Sig P226 18-round mag, and eBay spacer. Stock G2C 12-rounder next to it for comparison. Room for one extra pinky finger, or plenty of room for guys with large hands. Or women like this one.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Shot the G2C, CPX-2 and P365 today, with all mags, using 124gr Aguila and 158gr Fiocchi flat nose (forgot brand--S&B?). Every round cycled, even in the formerly problematic G2C stock mags. Maybe they just need more break-in, or the spring stretching which I did.

I now consider the G2C to be a competent backup gun/truck gun; esp. with the Mec-Gar P226 mag, since I don't feel a need to carry a backup mag with 18+1 in the gun.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you think Taurus CS stinks, try Ruger, Henry, Lee Reloading, Kimber. Not only does the item come back not fixed, it is usually either scratched/banged up or doesn't work at all

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
6" low at 25 yards would not even get my attention - that's about 2" at 7 yds which is a much more likely distance for a pocket pistol and pretty good targeting. Maybe you're holding a little '6:00-ish'?
The only reason I came here is because I suddenly realized that I might be interested in a G2 and a G2C. I like my older 24-7 Pro .45. Its one of those that was recalled but mine has always worked great. Plus, I put night sights on it. Its one of those guns that seems right to my hand and it has a manual safety that was carried over in the G2. The G2 would replace my CZ75 P-01 and the G2C would replace my Kel Tec P-11. I require a manual safety for a striker-fired pistol and the trigger lever safety doesn't count.
I never have taken to the P-01 and the Kel Tec has that really hard pull, but I'll probably keep it - that thing has been with me for a long time. Maybe I'll send it to FL for a 'fluff and buff'. :)
Anyway, if the G2 fits me like the old one, I'll buy both of them. They are selling locally (G2) for $250. Then I'll most likely let the P-01 go.

·
Registered
757 Posts
The funny thing is, I've been carrying the G2c for half a year now. I bought 2 spare mags the same day I picked it up, and I've fed it S&B 115, 124's and a whole mess of handloads: lead, rn, tc, hp, coated and jacketed .. 95gr, 115, 124, 135, 147.. Lotsa' testing, all about 4 to 8 yards. (where I'd expect trouble)

Never had a single FTF or FTE. Never had a magazine act squirrely. I usually just drop a round in the chamber, slam it closed and slap in a full mag for carry. At the range I either thumb in a few rounds and rack it, or I use the maglula to pack the mag.

I was trying to adjust the sights this week, and I give up: it readjusted itself while I was shooting and it's ALWAYS low, left. Groups are iffy, but I've loads for 135 and 124 that shred the targets nicely - Low. And left. (Hey, it groups with them so I blame me).

If I didn't have a Kareen showing up next week & BHSS stuff to get, I'd invest in a truglo rear sight and take a file to the front sight. The Lakeline LLC SS guiderod/spring and the SS firing-pin/striker guide are nice and I've used both since the day I bought this thing new.

It's not my EAA Witness 45, and I doubt it's comparable to the Kareen/HP - but it shoots reliably and when desired; it's comfortable. I dunno if I should plan to sell it off or keep it for.. emergencies.

·
Administrator
72,153 Posts
The funny thing is, I've been carrying the G2c for half a year now. I bought 2 spare mags the same day I picked it up, and I've fed it S&B 115, 124's and a whole mess of handloads: lead, rn, tc, hp, coated and jacketed .. 95gr, 115, 124, 135, 147.. Lotsa' testing, all about 4 to 8 yards. (where I'd expect trouble)

Never had a single FTF or FTE. Never had a magazine act squirrely. I usually just drop a round in the chamber, slam it closed and slap in a full mag for carry. At the range I either thumb in a few rounds and rack it, or I use the maglula to pack the mag.
Like I said earlier, with these guns you either luck out and get a good one, or you end up with a $250 turd. Apparently there are more good ones than bad out there because a lot of people like 'em. The biggest problem is the complete absence of support if you end up with a bad one. Taurus will not sell spare parts to consumers, and if you have an issue you have no choice but to send it back to them and hope it gets returned fixed and before you end up so old you forgot you ever even had it.

The only good news is the fact that Taurus has re-instated its lifetime repair policy, even to guns previously sold with a one-year warranty. I guess they realized that if you're going to force end users to rely on you for even the simplest repair issue you'd better be willing to pick up the tab.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
That's interesting about the Taurus lifetime repair policy. I haven't come close to needing it but its good to know, I forgot to mention earlier that another thing I like about my old G1 24/7 is the trigger - its light and smooth in DA or SA. It has a lot of travel in DA but for some reason this doesn't bother me - I guess its because its so smooth and light. And something else I've never needed but I like having it - the repeating DA trigger in case of a misfire. It's also convenient for dry-firing practice since it stays in DA until the slide cycles. You don't need any practice in SA mode because it is 'touchy'. In fact I have doubled before, basically unintended bump-firing on the forward motion of the pistol following the initial recoil. The solution to this was to always use 'follow-through' and concentrate on keeping the trigger pulled until the gun settles. For some reason I continue to like the thing and its being a 13-shot .45, it sometimes resides in my night stand or in the console or door pocket of a vehicle.
I don't think they make a .45 in this style anymore which is another reason to keep it.

·
Administrator
72,153 Posts
Trust me, there are things I do like about my G2. Until the SIG P365 came out it was one of the most size-vs-capacity efficient carry guns out there. The trigger is a bit funky, but not unmanageable. However I was without my two guns for four months just to have two $1.50 extractor springs replaced. One of the things to keep in mind regarding a defense pistol is that you either need an identical backup for carry, or at least have a good source for spare parts to get you back up and running if it goes down. Since I can't even buy a lousy $1.50 spring from Taurus it's no better than relying on some old gun that's no longer even made and that I can't get parts for. If I can't fix it myself if it goes down again it's just wasting space in my gun safe, since it's not a safe queen and is worth nothing on the used market.

·
Premium Member
15,193 Posts
That's interesting about the Taurus lifetime repair policy. I haven't come close to needing it but its good to know, I forgot to mention earlier that another thing I like about my old G1 24/7 is the trigger - its light and smooth in DA or SA. It has a lot of travel in DA but for some reason this doesn't bother me - I guess its because its so smooth and light. And something else I've never needed but I like having it - the repeating DA trigger in case of a misfire. It's also convenient for dry-firing practice since it stays in DA until the slide cycles. You don't need any practice in SA mode because it is 'touchy'. In fact I have doubled before, basically unintended bump-firing on the forward motion of the pistol following the initial recoil. The solution to this was to always use 'follow-through' and concentrate on keeping the trigger pulled until the gun settles. For some reason I continue to like the thing and its being a 13-shot .45, it sometimes resides in my night stand or in the console or door pocket of a vehicle.
I don't think they make a .45 in this style anymore which is another reason to keep it.
I am happy to report that I was so, so wrong on that. Not only do they make a G2 .45 but also a .40, and also a .40 G2C! people are eating these things up and Bud's for example is totally sold out on every model, color and caliber. Tell you what, I don't know about a G2C in .40 - talk about a punisher! I want a G2C in 9mm and G2s in 9mm and .40.

·
Administrator
72,153 Posts
For some odd reason the G2C seems to be the hottest-selling firearm in the current pandemic and riot-related gun buying craze. It makes me half want to throw mine up on Gunbroker just to see if someone is dumb enough to give me $500 for it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts