1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know what I've done here, but I hope it's only minor. My Wilson Millenium Protector's thumb safety had a nice smooth action-a clean "snick" when I went to safe. I just did a quick clean and lube of the barrel and rails the other day and then put it back together. When I thumbed the safety up, it kind of stuck. It kept going up rather tightly, but would go back to safe nonetheless. I decided a trip to the range might loosen it back to where it was.

I put a box of 50 rounds of hardball downrange and now it's completely stuck in the down position. Any suggestions, comments, and or directions on the repair with my limited gunsmithing abilities will be greatly appreciated. FWIW, in the past I've installed new mainspring housings with no problem, but have never detail stripped a 1911.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just a long distance WAG, but you might want to see if your plunger tube is coming loose. The plunger may be riding outside the safety, and that isn't so good.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Todd C said:
Just a long distance WAG, but you might want to see if your plunger tube is coming loose. The plunger may be riding outside the safety, and that isn't so good.
Upon closer examination, you may be right. Sounds like a trip to the gunsmith is needed. :grumble:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry-double tap.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was having that problem for a while too. I replaced the plunger spring assembly with this from Wilson Combat. My thumb safety is now very smooth and has a nice distinctive click.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts