1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this for a month and had some time this Thanksgiving weekend to make a few changes. I bought this gun as a guniea pig for some refinishing experiments and a test bed for a whole bunch of leftover misc. parts i've had laying in my parts bin. After adding the grips, MSH, and sights I looked at it didnt have the heart to go any further :D . I thought this $420 gun actually looks pretty good as is. Back in my parts bin went everything else.

The grips are from Brownells I bought a long time ago, the rear sight is a leftover 10-8 U notch saved from my Springfield project, the front is a Kensight .115 wide i've had for a year and the MSH is a Smith & Alexander that was in a Rock Island I sold a few years ago. I bead blasted the trigger with a mix of 80/40 grit glass bead and it was spot on in matching the upper. I'm using GI mags from Springfield and Chip McCormick.

The only money that was spent was the $40 charge to dovetail the front ( I slid the sight in).

The GOOD: it's a $400 gun.
The BAD: It's a $400 gun with all the shortcomings that come with a $400 gun ( chocked full of mim, heavy casting lines throughout, weak Epoxy type of coating on the receiver, bad trigger etc..)
The UGLY: Nothing to me, looks Great!! It's my ONLY GI style 1911 and gonna stay that way.

Beware, on my gun, it's a series 80. I thought the Tisas were all 70's. Lots of fitting on the top of the S&A Main Spring Housing to get the grip safety to rotate back to engage the trigger bar properly. The rear sight GI cut is way off ( undersized?), I have ruined my 10-8 to fit in this gun as the bottom had to be ground way too much. My extra triggers from Ed Brown and Greider were too WIDE ( the shoe) to fit in the trigger slot. I have a lot of other things I noticed and may post up a thread later on in more detail. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,713 Posts
Looks good, so is the slide "in the white?"

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The finish on the slide is factory as you see it in the pics. I'm not sure what it is but it's not painted. I can tell you that it is very durable because I dropped the slide from my work bench and it slid along a 2x4 bench post and hit the garage floor and not a scratch on it.....I was real impressed with that. It also has a somewhat slick feeling to it. What ever coating it is I really like it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tisas 1911 basic model

I have been a Springfield 1911 snob for years. TRP, Custom Shop, Custom builds on mil specs etc. I bout a Tisas to play around with coatings and smithing.

I took it to the range and shot 150 rounds with out one single issue. Nothing.
Trigger was quite good, fit and finish are on par with an issues 1911. ( I had a 1911 in the 80s 90s in the Army. Didn't want that new fangled 9mm)

Now, budsgunshop.com has the 2nd generation of these "loaded" for under $400 on gunbroker.

If you want to get into 1911s - this is the platform..

SO far nothing bad to say because I know it is a $400 1911, but is far above the RRAs and Philippine manufacture 1911s.

Heck, just checked gunbroker and you can get a base model Tisas for $330.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts