1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm so happy today I got my first GI Colt 1911. According to Dana's site it is of 1914 manufacture. I believe everything is original. I'm gonna detail strip it either today or tomorrow. It even came in its original holster. The leather severely deteriorated on the holster, but hey...it's old. The gun is mechanically sound and only has a ding on the right dust cover and a slight ding on the left size of the slide at the muzzle. There is hardly any blueing left. Fortunately, there is zero pitting. It is truly an old war horse with tons of character.

I'm really torn on leaving it completely original or sending it off to the shop doing Colt's WWI repros for a reblue. I'm leaning more towards leaving it original.

Best part is, I got it with a nazi proofed hi-power for 5 bills. A friend of my fathers is moving back to the motherland and was getting rid of them. :):D

Attachments

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, forgot to add. I shot one mag through it today. I experienced my very first hammer bite shooting a 1911. I've only been seriously shooting and collecting guns for about 2 years now, but had never been bitten by a hammer. It was fun, didn't bother me a bit.

So I was shooting it at 30 feet using an official NRA 50 yard pistol target. Yeah, yeah, lauugh all you want, I was mostly just function testing it ;)

Anyway, first round is high right in the 8 ring, second is low left in the 9 ring. 3,4 and 5 are one line going from the edge of the 9 into the 10 ring and about centered perfectly. 6 & 7 are touching each other right above the X in the bullseye. Once I calmed down, and actually concentrated, I did fine. This from an old rattle trap war horse ;):D. I'm pretty happy to say the least.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
JoeT said:
I'm really torn on leaving it completely original or sending it off to the shop doing Colt's WWI repros for a reblue. I'm leaning more towards leaving it original.
I think that's the right answer.

·
Administrator
75,208 Posts
Don't refinish it unless its so bad you couldn't possibly hurt the value. The finish is original only once.

BTW congrats. Make sure you've got a fresh recoil spring in it, and have fun.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading the "how to take gun photos" thread, I tried playing with my camera a bit. Here are the results. I still need to find my tripod in the closet...

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts