1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My weekend purchase (REPARIED)

Just thought I would share my weekend purchase with you.

Just one problem however. This was a NIB Colt 1911A1 WWII reproduction model that I received on Friday Nov. 29. I shot 63 rounds of Amerian Eagle 230 grain ammo through it when a hairline crack developed in the slide. :(

The hairline crack runs from the ejection port towards the front sight, a little off center to the left, about 1.5 inches in length.

If my camera had a better lens I would share a photo of the offending crevice.

I plan to call Colt Mfg. on Monday and exercise the warranty. Does anyone have any experience with this pistol or Colt warranty service?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. As this is my first post, and I just want to say that I have learned much from this section. Thank you.

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
:eek:

That's the first I've ever heard of a new Colt slide cracking. Yes, unless the pistol has been screwed with I'm sure Colt will fix it for you ASAP.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have been collecting pistols for over 20 years and this is the first slide to crack on me. Only two other bad experiences have occured during my shooting career. One KB with a Glock mod 27 and a cracked grip on a Springfield Mil Spec. 1911A1.

I guess the laws of Murphy can catch up.

By luck one of my photos came out. It's a bit fuzzy but you can see the crack.

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
Me thinks they fitted the barrel lugs just leeetle too tight, and the slide gave it up first.

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
Medical kit.

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
There didn't need to be much in there. Basically it was just an extra set of bandages and some ointment. The BIG kit was carried around by the medic, and what was in the med kit on your belt simply supplemented what he had, so he didn't run out of wraps. You could of course use the kit for your own minor wounds, but if was serious enough to require more than bandages you'd better lie down and wait for the medic!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
SRA, sorry to hear about the problem with your WWII repo. I have 2 myself, one unfired still NIB, the other is a great shooter and very accurate. As for Colt service, they are very good at taking care of any problems you might have. BTW, cool pic.:cool:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Off to Colt Mfg.

Well, the pistol is off to Colt. They are supposed to call me soon and let me know what services they will offer. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Cracked slide

Unless Colt got a bad batch of slides (that could be scary) the barrel/slide lug fit must have been way off.
Should get her back better than NEW.
Cool Rig pic 2.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
TX Bob, In WW II the medical pouch contained a package of sulphur powder and a sterile dressing package for wounds. In combat one never used their own dressing for a fallen comrade, but used theirs (save yours for your wound). If one was shot in the upper body with a lung wound the sterile wrapping the dressing came in would be carefully opened flat and the sterile side placed over the wound hole (called a sucking chest wound) and tightly wrapped with the gauze dressing to form a tight compression over the wound to keep all the air from leaking out of the lung. Usually the sulphur powder was sprinkled on the wound and then the dressing applied and the soldier would continue to fight, if able, or wait until a medic sent him back to the rear for more treatment. Bob

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well....Colt called me back to confirm their engineers have found a crack in the frame. They are going to replace the frame, refit the barrel and test fire. I should receive my pistol back in about 30 days.

Customer service has been very knowlegable and easy to work with. So far so good. :)

·
Administrator
75,210 Posts
Frame?!? I assume you really meant the slide. If both the slide AND frame are cracked you need a new pistol! :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My mistake,

I did intend to type slide. Too much pressure this week at work. Thank you for catching my error.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You were all right! Colt service was amazing. I have my Colt 1911A1 WWII Reproduction back in hand and it is better than new. It appears that they hand fitted the slide as there is no rattle or movement, a perfect fit. (Please forgive the following statment from an old Sig collector, but the fit resembles my P210.) The trigger is light, crisp and smooth, much better than before.

Well done Colt, to your staff, engineers and customer service personel.

And thank you everyone for your advice and support. I'll soon post some new photos of this pistol and the WWI repo. Just as soon as I finish grading finals. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts