1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cool: Just finshed the bobtail, put it off until last.

I've done a couple of Essex GI shooters before, but this was my leap into the Caspian and carry worlds. My wife came to me lat the beginning of the year and decides that with the way things are going she's going to get her carry permit. (a couple of years ago, she had me teach her how to ride a motorcycle). I needed a project to occupy some free hours in the evenings and this would allow me to spec it out. The bobtail was done last, as it took some working up of the nerve.

Stainless Commander Caspian frame and slide, scaled including flat top by Marc Morganti Gemini Customs
Wolff springs,
Ed Brown small parts, Grip safety, Bobtail housing, perfection sear and disconnector, hardcore hammer, extractor, and firing pin stop
Nowlin barrel, EGW Bushing and slide stop
& and an old pair of Walnut grips hacked off until I can make some Bubinga grips. Only thing left, is to send out for some touch-up bead blasting, then the new grips and a bow.

It's not a Kobra, but I know the quality and reliablity are there. I enjoyed it so much that now I'm working on a 9mm Commander for my daughter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
She is nice! or should I say he is nice being your wife's gun and all? Not to many women running around with a super nice custom gun straped to them. I am assuming that your's is as nice? or did you do the his and her matching Caspian's? That girl is spoiled! you are sending her out everyday with an awsome gun.

Great gun!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Her's is nicer

Mine is a Colt Gvmt that I bought new in 86 w/ very few mods. Caspian speed bump, EGW slide stop and bushing, Ed Brown flat mainspring. Hogue grips.

But now that you point it out, maybe I should do his and hers commanders. Hmmm........maybe a 38 super?

Anyone who's considering a built can't go wrong with Caspian Frames/Slides.

Thanks for the comments,

·
Registered
274 Posts
Did you do the bobtail your self? If so how hard was it. I'd like to do one on my Caspian Commander too.

Ed

·
Registered
719 Posts
You did a great job on that Caspian, its looks beautiful. How does it shoot? Your wife should get years of enjoyment out of her new pistol.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bobtail

Yes, I did it myself. It was the last thing done, as I was worried about botching the job (I had a flat eb brown MSH on it at first). I used the Ed brown jig and did the rest with files and fine grit paper.

When I drilled the first pilot hole in one side I thought I had mis-aligned something, but looking at the mainspring housing realized the "rails" on it extended a little long at the top, there was a large gap between the end of the grip safety and the MSH. Trimmed them and bang, dead on. Drilled the full hole, and then went for the other side. Again paranoia struck, so I hand filed the corners down, instead of using something like the dremil, or a mill. The corners of my housing were very tall so I beveled them and blended the whole housing into the frame not just the bottom portion. Finished up by removing file marks with 400, 800, then 1500 grit paper. Next I'm going to have it re-beadblasted to have an even finish.

Now that I've done one, I won't hesitate to do another one, it went that smooth (minus the paranoia). Just starting on a 38Super Commander for myself, my daughters going to have to wait a little while for hers.

Haven't shot it yet, waiting for a weekend that neither of us is working, so that she can actually fire it first, or at least see the first time its fired.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts