1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stay with me here. I have a norinco, milspec, no frills, stock. My problem, on the last round, on specific mags (not all of my mags), the round will fire, but will not extract. It will ches on the round to the point you must use a knife or screwdriver to get the shell casing out. Took it to my smith, he retensioned the extractor, made sure the ejector was proper, the problems as decreased to instead of what i explained above, the last shot, again on specific mags, will not extract, it will fire, and then set there in the action with no need to utilize any tools, just turn the gun and it falls out. it has confused the hell out of me, and my smith. It is damned frustrating. Could this be a mag problem, by the way, one of the mags it does this on is an 8 round wilson. is there a problem with ejector/extractor? Just wondering if any of you all have had this or a similat problem. Funny thing, one mag that it has never done this to, have no idea of the maker of this mag, has a different follower on it, its raised or a better description humped. like i said, damned frustrating. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Let me move this to M&T for a wider viewing audience. While it is with a Norinco it could happen to any brand of pistol.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Norincos are pretty good. The problem sounds like an extractor without enough tension.

Try this with a dummy round or in a safe area. Load a round into the chamber from the magazine. Remove the magazine. Retract the slide. If the round falls through the magazine well, the extractor needs retensioning (tuning) or replacing. When checking, note that the case rim should be held by the part of the extractor behind the hook; the hook itself should be at the front end of the extractor groove.

The difference in magazines results from the fact that some magazines, especially those with round followers, will support the case until it strikes the ejector instead of allowing the case to just drop.

(At least while they were being imported into the US, Norinco extractors are made from spring steel like the GI ones, and rarely give problems, unlike some of the other clone extractors. Is it possible that the extractor is not Norinco?)

HTH

Jim

·
Registered
321 Posts
It sounds like the extractor either has a chipped or rounded bottom corner or it needs some to be adjusted..
It works with the rounded follower mag only because the empty case is held up long enough to hit the ejector and be thrown out of the port..
Adjust,bend,the extractor and try shooting the gun with the mag removed..In other words load one round in mag,chamber round and then remove mag..If the round is ejected all is well,if it falls down the mag slot you have extractor problems still..
Maybe replace extractor...

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had the exact same problem with the exact same gun. I replaced the extractor with a new one from Brownell's. No problem now withany mags I have tried. Those extractors are made out of some weird red tinted metal. Might have something to do with it. You can search here under my username and find it from about six months ago.

GT

·
Banned
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I think i have narrowed it down to the extractor.

so, its either use with round follower mags, or get new extractor.

tarpleyg
what extractor did you replace yours with? And, can i do the replacement myself?

·
Registered
841 Posts
It maybe that the angle of the magazine follower or how far out they are is the problem with your pistol. The casing will just pop off the hook of the extractor if the casing is hitting the follower and it cannot gently ride over it. It's only doing it on the last round as the bullets themselves are probably allowing the ejected casings to smoothly transition over them whereas the follower doesn't. Maybe some better mags would help too.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I do not recall which extractor I ended up with but I remember it was the least expensive they had and yes, you can do it yourself if you are handy with a file and some fine sandpaper and cold blue. Just take your time, you have to file off the outside end that is exposed beyond the back of the slide.

GT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts