1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
FYI:

Horton's is dumping a small number of basic 1911 5" stainless guns . I was told by the salesman that they originally had ordered them for custom engraving . They decided against it , so now they have some 1911's with bare slides . NO billboard or markings of any sort .

Have your dealer call them for details .

· Administrator
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not much interest ? I thought I'd read some billboard slide marking complaints . Anyway , I found a pic .

· Registered
145 Posts
Allways interested in another S&W, but the only local dealer around here wont order through anyone else or do FFLs. So only go shopping when down in SanDiego, or back home to Virginia. Can you order direct from Lew and have it mailed to a FFL?

· Administrator
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You would have have a dealer handle it for you . Horton's only deals with the ffl holder . Hard to understand your local guy's reluctance to order it for you and make a buck for his trouble :scratch:

· Registered
367 Posts
18DAI said:
Will these S&W 1911's be going up in value and more desirable, due to the lack of markings, or will that hurt them down the line? Would $675 be the retail? Thanks ,Regards 18DAI.
It's hard to say about the value, I think we'd all be giving it our best guess. I've heard a good number of complaints from people about the markings being "ugly" and if this is a limited run, I would guess that they could have a certain "collector" value if you found the right buyer. In other words, I doubt it's going to become of high value, but I think within some circles it will always be of interest.

That price I mentioned is OTD, retail... of course, we don't have sales tax here in OR. I have to stop talking about this now, or I fear I'll find myself down there tomorrow buying one. :rolleyes:

· Registered
338 Posts
Robert1911 - I have a line on one of those locally. $690 OTD. I had saved up for a nice 4513TSW pre rail. Looks like I'm going to aquire another 1911 instead. I want it for a shooter ,not collector. I'm just worried about getting burned , saw some kid in PA aquiring an engraved Lew Horton in PA for $500 !!! It was engraved with some confederate stuff , which I understand these pistols were intended for. Apparently the engraved pistols didn't go over well (imagine that at $1100 a pop). With the 2006 S&W 1911 stable becoming more crowded with rail guns ect. I'm debating waiting because SS models could be pretty cheap. I've seen a $200 decrease locally in the last 6 months. Regards 18DAI.

· Administrator
13,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"Retail" will be up to the dealer . Horton's is selling them at cost to dump them . I've dealt with them steadily for 20 yrs . When they decide to dump an item , you can get a good deal .

Is it an investment ? Probably not in our lifetime . The reason I started the thread was because I had read some complaints about all the stampings/warnings on the slide . It's a good shooter at a good price . :)

· Registered
2,264 Posts
Looks like that could be just the ticket for some "Barbeque Gun" engraving...

· Registered
145 Posts
Local dealer is a place called Turner's Outdoors. They wont do any type of FFL transfer unless it was a gun you bought from them. Really miss Peterson's gun shop back home in the Southeast. But stuck here in SoCal for school atm.

Usually end up using a FFL at a pawn shop. How far is Lew Horton's place from Southern Oregon? Medford area? Wife's family is from there and we will be up that way come Christmas.

Would love a plain stainless, then send it back for the Melonite finish =)

· Registered
367 Posts
Dasgreif said:
My bad, thought someone mentioned Oregon, sorry. Hrmm will be up that way in a few days though when I go to see some of my family in Medina, OH, then we are driving to Boston. Will check them out then.
I mentioned Oregon - and there are two in Balston, which is kind of the middle of nowhere, off of Rt. 18 between McMinnville and Sheridan.

But it might be moot by now, I told a local guy who is a top notch engraver about them, and he may grab both of them.

· Registered
11 Posts
Dasgreif said:
Local dealer is a place called Turner's Outdoors. They wont do any type of FFL transfer unless it was a gun you bought from them. Really miss Peterson's gun shop back home in the Southeast. But stuck here in SoCal for school atm.

Usually end up using a FFL at a pawn shop. How far is Lew Horton's place from Southern Oregon? Medford area? Wife's family is from there and we will be up that way come Christmas.

Would love a plain stainless, then send it back for the Melonite finish =)
Go to gunsamerica and do an FFL search by zipcode, you will find a local FFL to handle it for you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.