1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellers......

I was reading another forum earlier (researching DoubleTap Ammo) and came across an interesting concept and wanted your thoughts on this.

Is there any real precendent for being concerned with the name of the ammo we arm ourselves with in that if we unfortunately did have to defend ourselves with our sidearm would a lawyer use the name of the ammo against us? In other words, if one landed in court because of a self defense shooting, and one used "DoubleTap Ammunition" for example, is there a real concern that some legal zealot would try to convince a jury that one was just "looking for trouble" because....................."Just look at the name of that ammo, folks!"

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
The name on a box of ammo does not turn a legitimate and legal shooting into an illegal one. Nor does it turn an otherwise innocent man into a murderer.

Yes, the prosecutors will use everything at their disposal to paint you as a psychopathic maniac, but a good lawyer can dismiss those claims. You'd have to have a pretty pathetic attorney if you are convicted simply because of the name of ammo you choose to carry.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree, the name on the box of ammo is of no concern (unless it's AA, then it's crap-ammo)
You know what I mean...

·
Registered
692 Posts
I'm sure the manufactures have already conferred with their legal teams before the product hits the shelf. If the ammo was named "Soft Touch" and you used it against some B.G., there would be some opposing lawyer who would try to amke it sound deadly. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Buy what you like and shoot it accurately. Be safe.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also have heard local attorney's speak about similar things just like this....There always will be those ones whom will want to paint you as a radical gun nut or something along those lines....The big thing that matters is that you have trained with what you have and it works....May you come home tonight and kiss your family and the other one kisses dirt.... :D

Just my .02 worth...

Tom

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
Yes, the prosecutors will use everything at their disposal to paint you as a psychopathic maniac, but a good lawyer can dismiss those claims.

Chances are a prosecutor is less likely to be concern than a civil attorney. Lots of shootings that are ruled justified and not prosecuted end up in civil court. I'd guess any name brand (commercially manufactured) ammuntion that isn't blatently advertised for killing people will end up ok in court.

Personally, I'd find out what brand and load the local cops use. Police loads get extensively tested in ballistic gellatin, drywall walls, clothing, car doors, window glass, etc.. and are anylized with a large eye on overpenetration and liabilty issues. Remember if that awful day does come, both you and the police have something in common. You are shooting to stop the threat.

Following the above logic, I wouldn't use my own special or pet handloads. Even though your quality control might be better than a name brand, you don't have the product testing to stand behind and it sounds like you really don't want to be painted to a jury as some sort of far right nut job who come up with "special loads to kill people"---unless you are working the insanity defense angle. :D

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Mike'sgooddeal said:
Personally, I'd find out what brand and load the local cops use.
Yeah - then you'll portrayed as a "police wannabe Rambo".

Look, you're damned if you do - damned if you don't. Do the right thing when the SHTF, and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well.......thanks for all your replies and thoughts about this. I've decided to simply buy Speer Gold Dots for my 9mm and .45. Can't do this for a while though (in the doghouse with the wife right now for my latest purchase, so my "gun money" has been cut off for now). The GD's are readily available at my local range, they're bonded, and many LE agencies aparently use them.......so I should be good-to-go.

Tnx again fellars!

·
Registered
234 Posts
dougxd said:
Well.......thanks for all your replies and thoughts about this. I've decided to simply buy Speer Gold Dots for my 9mm and .45. Can't do this for a while though (in the doghouse with the wife right now for my latest purchase, so my "gun money" has been cut off for now). The GD's are readily available at my local range, they're bonded, and many LE agencies aparently use them.......so I should be good-to-go.

Tnx again fellars!
You could certainly choose far worse. The Gold Dot product line has tested well in all the results I was able to find when searching for a new carry load. It feeds well in my 1911's and my Glocks. I carry the 124 grain + P load in the 9mm Glocks and the 230 Grain load in the 1911's.

As has been said, the name of your ammunition shouldn't be relevant in any justfied shooting. Even if that comes up in a civil trial, a competent lawyer and an expert witness could knock it down in less time than it takes the plaintiff to introduce it.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
5pins said:
I don't like the fact thet hornady puts the word deadly on it's TAP ammo.
What would you suggest? Soft? Delicate? Gentle? If a person hasn't figured out by now that ammo is indeed "deadly" and are somehow disturbed by this adjective, then maybe one should think twice about carrying. :confused:

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
kjhof said:
Trying to steal my idea? I thought we were friends :D
We are - I didn't mention any cute fluffy animals at all! The patent is still all yours. :D

·
Registered
551 Posts
I would suggest not saying it at all. I would think it would be unnecessary, we all know that ammo is deadly. I’m not “disturbed” with the word; I said I didn’t like it.

The point that you apparently missed is that non-gun people (the ones they put on juries) don’t see the marketing hype like we do. I have had people ask me why I shoot at targets that look like people. “Are you going to shoot some one?” They would say with a dumb look on their face, like they just made some enlighten point.

“Joe Blow was so intent on killing someone he found the deadliest ammo he could find. It even says so on the box.” Said the scumbag attorney to the jury of non-gun owners.

I know I’m stretching it a bit, OK a lot, I just don’t see the need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts